Tennessee Allows Guns In Bars

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh...and would you rather be a LEO responding to a disturbance call and expect to encounter a bar full of armed drunks or not know for sure?

Normally, you'd expect some guns, maybe dependant on where in town. With this legislation, you'll have a lot more.

Bunch of drunks in a bar, lots of guns, not good.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normally, you'd expect some guns, maybe dependant on where in town. With this legislation, you'll have a lot more.

Bunch of drunks in a bar, lots of guns, not good.

You assume that they already follow the law and aren't armed. Flawed thinking, especially for a LEO.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If safety is that much of a concern then the state should temporarily suspend the drivers license of people that go to bars.

My life has been put at risk far more often by a drunk driver on the road than it has by a firearms enthusiast with a valid NH CPL or Mass LTC. Both states have no restriction on carry in bars or restaurants.

There are far more people who are killed, injured, or put at risk by imparied operators across the nation than there are by licensed CCW holders discharging their firearms in bars.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If safety is that much of a concern then the state should temporarily suspend the drivers license of people that go to bars.

My life has been put at risk far more often by a drunk driver on the road than it has by a firearms enthusiast with a valid NH CPL or Mass LTC. Both states have no restriction on carry in bars or restaurants.

There are far more people who are killed, injured, or put at risk by imparied operators across the nation than there are by licensed CCW holders discharging their firearms in bars.

Absolutely!

Here in Oregon it's legal to carry in Bars, or any establishment that serves alchohol -- it's not recommended, but it's legal.

The few people I know who have CCW's and frequent bars leave their guns in the truck or at home. (Of course, in S. OR, most of the CCW holders don't carry on their person, but in their vehicle.) Most people I know who do carry regularly don't visit bars. For them, it's not worth the risk of losing their CCW over a stupid firearm incident at a bar.

Yet they do visit places like Applebee's, or Red Lobster, Red Robin, and other "Neighborhood-style" restaurants that also serve alchohol. Also included are Pizza-parlours who serve beer.

On top of that, it's almost a guarantee that you'll find descent knives in at least half of the back pockets of most people in the bars around here, anyway. So, they are usually armed, anyway.

Yet, firearm incidents at bars here are virtually unheard of.

(And we're one of the States that's considered too dumb to pump our own gas!)

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is still illegal to carry a gun (assuming you have a permit) and even drink a beer.

"The legislation that takes effect July 14 retains an existing ban on consuming alcohol while carrying a handgun"

The law was put in place because you could not enter any establishment ccw if they served alcohol.

Now for me the only reason I go into a bar is to have a drink.

Latest Discussions