MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My whole TKD career, I've heard that are one set of TKD tenents:
Courtesy
Integrity
Perserverance
Self-Control
Indomitable Spirit

Today, I was told (by a source that I trust) that those are the Oh Do Kwan tenents & each Kwan had there own. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the set I learned - but then, my instructor's instructor was a student of Gen. Choi, so that's still Oh Do Kwan. It wouldn't surprise me if different Kwans had different Tenets - and I've heard other sets, which include some of the same and some different, but some of those were created/added to by the instructor, and I can't recall which is which.

From Wikipedia:

Each kwan has its own individual pledge of tenets and manners that describes the organization's goals for personal improvement. For example, the tenets of Oh Do Kwan and the ITF are: courtesy (ye-ui 예의), integrity (yom-chi 염치), perseverance (in-nae 인내), self-control (geuk-gi 극기), and indomitable spirit (baek-jeol-bul-gul 백절불굴). The Jidokwan manners are: view, feel, think, speak, order, contribute, have ability, and conduct rightly.
Some organizations also recognize one or two additional tenets beyond the five original Oh Do Kwan tenets; these are community service (sa-hui-bong-sa 사회봉사) and love (sa-rang 사랑).

However, the article did note that it is unfinished, and needs more references.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Iceman you are right and each Kwon had there own set, but must of today school uses the same set it has become just what it is.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this Chung Do Kwan Oath on Wikipedia:

We, as members, train our spirits and bodies according to the strict code.
We, as members, are united in mutual friendship.
We, as members, will comply with regulations and obey instructors.

This was the same thing we recited in my 1st TKD school in the 80's. My 1st instructor was Chung Do Kwan, but didn't talk about it much. We also learned the 5 tenents as well.

What other ones are out there?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use the same 5 tennants. GGM Park began in Chung Do Kwan, he finished with Chang Moo Kwan. He and Nam Suk Lee were great friends. Often Nam Suk Lee would come to Cape Girardeau, MO just to go fishing with Lee.

We have the same 5 tennants on the wall in the St. L school. It is just how it goes.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We use the same five Tenants. But I also know of the "eight fold path" which is represented in the Jidokwan patch and is what the wiki article is referring too.

I always wonder what American translated the Korean word to "indomitable spirit." I hate hearing "abdominal" or "abominable" and having to try to explain the difference between it and perseverance (although we did have a nice thread on that awhile back...)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, no telling how the spirit get murdered...I have heard a few gems thus far.

We use Honor, Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Courage and Community...Courage most closest resembling the Indominable Spirit.

I was under the impression the 'original' 5 here derived from the Hwa rang code....shows you what I know.....

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only tenets I ever followed or taught were the Five Point Code of the Hwa Rang:
Loyalty
Filial Piety
Courage
Integrity
Never Make an Unjust Kill

They can be translated in various ways, but the point is the same.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use eight tenets at our school:

CHIPSICL

Courtesy
Honesty
Integrity
Perseverence
Self-control
Indomitable spirit
Courage
Loyalty

We also have a "martial artists code of honor"
1. Always be loving to your family.
2. Always respect your friends.
3. Always be honest with yourself.
4. Never strike without need.
5. Always seeks the truth.

Peace,
Erik

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was under the impression the 'original' 5 here derived from the Hwa rang code....shows you what I know.....

They were... as a friend of mine found out, when he admitted not knowing that to a GM, who gave him an assignment to research them and write a paper, which can be found here.

Here's part of it:
Self Control- In the Yom Chi TaeKwon-Do Association, Colored Belt Handbook, Self Control is defined as “The ability of one to function in today’s society without losing patience or displaying ill-temper or anger” (Blakely, 25). This relates directly to the Code ‘Be loyal to your king’. In order to be loyal to one’s king one must obey the laws, cultural norms, and moral guidelines, which are created and enforced by the king. To be able to do that consistently in life, one must exhibit Self Control

Courtesy- The Tenet Courtesy is defined as “Being polite to one another. Showing respect to others and behaving in accordance with proper etiquette” (Blakely, 25). Now we can see that being obedient to your parents is behaving in accordance with proper etiquette. Furthermore showing respect for others, namely your parents, involves living your life with the virtues and morals that your parents would want you to posses. Moreover any good parent would wish there children to be polite to one another and show respect to others, thus the Tenet ‘Courtesy’ comes from the code ‘be obedient to your parents’.

Perseverance- Consider the code ‘be honorable to your friends’, in order for a true friendship to develop and last it takes many hardships, sacrifices, and time, from both individuals. Thus it requires perseverance in order for one to be honorable to one’s friends. Which is why the Tenet ‘Perseverance’ comes from the code ‘be honorable to your friends’.

Indomitable Spirit- It is easy to see that to ‘never retreat in battle’ requires one to live by the Tenet of Indomitable Spirit. Never retreating in battle was one of the main aspects which helped the Hwarang warriors become victorious over larger armies. That is the reason why students of TaeKwon-Do are taught to live with Indomitable Spirit. It is the only way the overpowered and mistreated can over through the empowered. Which has great importance in Korea’s (and other countries as well) history. Thus this code ‘never retreat in battle’ translates into the Tenet of ‘Indomitable Spirit’.

Integrity- Consider the final piece of the Hwarang code ‘Make a just kill’. By the process of elimination one can easily guess that the Tenet of ‘Integrity’ comes from this piece of the code. The reason why however, seems obvious. Integrity is defined as “One must be able to distinguish right from wrong and have the conscience, if wrong, to feel guilt” (Blakely, 25). Now to be able to practice selectivity and justice in the killing of living things (in other words to make a just kill), one must be able to distinguish right from wrong, in order to understand what is and isn’t a just kill. Therefore, the Tenet ‘Integrity’ comes from the code ‘make a just kill’.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there--

we also have 10 Children's Home Rules, which I also think is great. For example #2 is: Children shall respect parents and grandparents and strive for good relationships with brothers and sisters.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this list on another site on the same topic.
respect
humility
perserverance
self control
honesty

I've seen another list of tenents listed as a Creed.
Honor
Courage
Respect
Loyalty
Humility
Patience
Self-Control

It seems to have gone beyond just a "Kwan thing" to a more individual thing.

I haven't been able to find anything that the Kukkiwon uses as "official." Can anyone shed light on whether or nor they use one as official or recommened?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this list on another site on the same topic.
respect
humility
perserverance
self control
honesty

I've seen another list of tenents listed as a Creed.
Honor
Courage
Respect
Loyalty
Humility
Patience
Self-Control

It seems to have gone beyond just a "Kwan thing" to a more individual thing.

I haven't been able to find anything that the Kukkiwon uses as "official." Can anyone shed light on whether or nor they use one as official or recommened?

The KKW uses the five Tenets of Tae Kwon Do

Courtesy
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Ye Ul)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Integrity[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Yom Chi)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Perseverance[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](In Nae)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Self-Control[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Guk Gi)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Indomitable Spirit[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Baekjul Boolgool[/FONT]

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The KKW uses the five Tenets of Tae Kwon Do

Courtesy
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Ye Ul)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Integrity[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Yom Chi)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Perseverance[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](In Nae)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Self-Control[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Guk Gi)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][COLOR=#c00c0]Indomitable Spirit[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica](Baekjul Boolgool[/FONT]

I'm not doubting you Terry, but what is your source? I looked in the 2006 textbook & only found references to the Hwa Hrang (sp?) code. Nothing about the 5.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last time I was at the KKW it was in 2001 and this is what was told to me when I ask so going by what I was personnally told by a GM. I guess just my word from an old Korean.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have the Kwon Hoon (Goal of the Lesson) which we say at the start of every session.

I will surely achieve three things throughout my martial arts training...
1) I will respect my country, parents and myself.
2) I will be a contributing citizen of this society.
3) I will be a good instructor by persuing a black belt.

Being dual nationality I modify the first one to say "countries" :D

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last time I was at the KKW it was in 2001 and this is what was told to me when I ask so going by what I was personnally told by a GM. I guess just my word from an old Korean.

I'll but that. I just wish I had something written down to point to.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll but that. I just wish I had something written down to point to.

Me too should've had him write it down and signed it.
icon10.gif
Today world is a tangle weave of lies and cheaters as well as mis-inforned people by people.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not doubting you Terry, but what is your source? I looked in the 2006 textbook & only found references to the Hwa Hrang (sp?) code. Nothing about the 5.

I found the reference on a website of a British school, Limeric if I remember correctly. As well as from a fellow student wanting to get them as tattoo...

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too should've had him write it down and signed it.
icon10.gif
Today world is a tangle weave of lies and cheaters as well as mis-inforned people by people.

If it was from a "little old Korean guy" it must be true. Just like Chun in "Remo Williams!:headbangin:

Latest Discussions