Ten Tigers of Gwongdung?

S

Senfeng

I was wondering if anyone had any lists identifying the Ten Tigers of Gwongdung. The line up seems to change per list I encounter. So far, it generally looks like this:

Jau Taai
Si Yuleung
So Hak Fu (Black Tiger So)
So Hatyi (Beggar So)
Three-Legged Tam
Tit Ji Chan (Iron Finger Chan)
Titkiu Saam
Wong Ching Ho
Wong Kei Ying
Wong Yanlam

Also, is it safe to say that Wong Fei Hung is NOT one of the Ten Tigers? The explaination I've heard is that because he was the son of Wong Kei Ying, he was call "the Tiger after the Ten Tigers of Gwongdung"; causing people to confuse his status as one of the Ten Tigers.

Any comments/help is appreciated.

OP
S

Senfeng

BTW, the Ten Tigers of Gwongdung (Kwangtung) were the ten greatest martial artists in southern China during the late Qing Dynasty. I was doing some research on the Hung Hei Kwan lineage and ran into the tearm "Ten Tigers of Gwongdung", which I haven't heard since the old Shaw bros. movie of the same name. This is all just curiosity.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know, but why was the one guy called "Three Legged Tam" ???

OP
S

Senfeng

Originally posted by Technopunk
I dont know, but why was the one guy called "Three Legged Tam" ???
Well, I couldn't find his real name, but I don't think it was referring to his 'third leg'.:eek:
I think he had 3 special kicks.

OP
S

Senfeng

A link from the Hop Gar gung fu post on this site pointed me here. Very interesting history. It also tells that Wong Yan Lam (Wong Yin Lum) was the organizer behind the Ten Tigers. Any truth to this? I ask only because it was the first time I've heard of this.

OP
S

sato-iche

as i understand, wong yen lum was a rebel wanting to help overthrow the ching govt.

i met his last close door disciple who said this.

choy yee kung the last closed door disciple had a limp because he was stabbed in the leg running away with wong yen lum on his back.

in wong yen lum's last days his was blind from diabetes.

Latest Discussions