Tell me about your first day of training..

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize I did not really describe my first day of training in my post from almost 3 years ago! However, in all fairness that is because I don't really remember the details for the first two schools I attended. However, I do remember my first day of Wing Chun training. At the time, the Sifu of that school did not let you participate on the first day; all you could do was watch...so I did. I liked what I saw, so I went back, and he let me join. I remember them throwing a bunch of blocks at me to learn. One of the senior students was coming at me (in slow motion), throwing punches at various heights, and I was able to determine which block should be used for each attack. Sifu said, "Wow, he picks up fast." The senior student agreed. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've started twice. The first time was in 1966 and I was at the UT Karate Club, which of course taught Taekwondo. My first night, they were teaching me a high block and the guy gave me an visual image of rubbing the end of my nose with my arm as it went up. I promptly punched myself in my own nose. :D

Got up to Brown Belt but never tested for Black. Sat on my butt for nearly 20 years, then started over again as a White Belt with ATA. It was amazing how much my body remembered that first class. Been with them ever since, August will be my 30 year anniversary.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've started twice. The first time was in 1966 and I was at the UT Karate Club, which of course taught Taekwondo. My first night, they were teaching me a high block and the guy gave me an visual image of rubbing the end of my nose with my arm as it went up. I promptly punched myself in my own nose. :D

Got up to Brown Belt but never tested for Black. Sat on my butt for nearly 20 years, then started over again as a White Belt with ATA. It was amazing how much my body remembered that first class. Been with them ever since, August will be my 30 year anniversary.
When you re-started, did you have to punch yourself in the nose, again?

Karate Padawan

White Belt
Reaction score
First day... It think it was the 4 grade. My father took me to the local school Karate (Shotokan ) lessons. Since then, i'm into it. :)

Syed01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like hell. I was dumbfounded in the very first day at dojo. I saw some people hitting their hands on the wall (Nukite practice in makiwara) and others doing this weird footsteping with punching in an uniformed wave (Kihon). To me Zenkutsu dachi was the worst enemy of mankind because standing on that stance hurt my legs a lot. From then I am trying to learning, the meaning behind the whole training and philosophical values of karate.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like hell. I was dumbfounded in the very first day at dojo. I saw some people hitting their hands on the wall (Nukite practice in makiwara) and others doing this weird footsteping with punching in an uniformed wave (Kihon). To me Zenkutsu dachi was the worst enemy of mankind because standing on that stance hurt my legs a lot. From then I am trying to learning, the meaning behind the whole training and philosophical values of karate.

when i first started shotokan it was really hard for me too i like zenkutsu dachi but not the back stance i hate that heeheheh i was afraid to hit the makiwara the 1st time too ya we used to do kihon kata to way back when i was taking shotokan i only get up to high orange and when i came home to my hometown i did american kenpo karate and I llike it in kenpo we have neutral bo reverse bow forward bow and so fort

apmarek

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember saying a profanity on my first day and doing Hindu push-ups for it. That aside, I remember learning proper stance and how to throw certain strikes including the Shuto and also watching the Sensei demonstrate putting them in a chain. This was back when I took a style called kempo Chi Sao, which does a lot of manipulations of the opponent and striking. Kicking isn't the strong suit of this style, so I often did training videos on the side anyhow

BombaySapphire

White Belt
Reaction score
What an awesome thread! Back in 2005 I signed up for a krav maga class in London, thinking I was a bit of a badass.
As the day of my first class approached I got more and nervous, and then when I arrived at the venue I nearly did a 180 at the door.
However I was grabbed by the instructor - a very lovely, down to earth female instructor - and cajoled into the class.
It was terrifying, really hard work, but I left feeling elated.
From that, I started training muay Thai, have done a bit of boxing (and about to start it again next week after a biiiig break), and am going to start Systema soon, when Andreas Weitzel does his UK seminars. I'm afraid I've set the bar too high this time, gotta keep mixing it up though.

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will never forget my first day of training. I was nervous and didn't think, after watching my children's class, that it was going to be all that hard. I was very wrong, but I was very hooked at the end of it. I enjoyed learning the new kicks and how to properly fall. The school was not a real "serious" place so there was lots of smiling and lots of laughter.

How about you? What brought you there and what kept you?
My first Karate lesson, I walked into the dojo, and the first thing I saw was some guy getting side kicked in the face, breaking has nose. I stayed, because my first thought was, "Awesome"

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my first class was in 1978. the instructor was a brown belt. im not to sure how common black belts were back then, but i can guess a legit brown belt running a school was not a big deal back then. karate in general was kinda rare as opposed to now. at the time i only new of one other person who did karate and he was the older brother of a friend of mine, (saw him at the dojo). that class and many others after it, i spend time punching the square canvas bags that fill with sand that hang on the wall.
i remember my teacher telling me "karate is not for fun, it is not for petty fighting. it is for serious and sometimes life and death situations. never tell anyone you do karate. its only for you to know"

i found out he was right about not telling anyone about doing karate. it may be different now but for years when ever anyone found out i did martial arts they would challenge me or ask me to do something flashy as if i am a circus act.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember my "second" first day of training, (my first dojo being too far away for practicality).

Walked up the stairs, saw a kids class going on, they were doing things I had never seen before. The kid in front was something, he was seven years old and seriously focused, I was twenty. Seeing him move is what sold me, I knew this was where I had to train. Found out years later that his mother used to baby sit me when I was an infant, that his grandfather was friends with my dad.

That seven year old grew to be one of my best, lifelong friends, and one of the best Martial Artists I've ever known. And in two years he'll be retiring from Boston P.D.

Life sure is an interesting trip. Martial Arts is, too.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't remember anything about my first training session. Was sometime in the fall of 1965, only thing I can remember was being excited about going back.

SiHengHiram

White Belt
Reaction score
When I started Northern 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu when I was about 11, It was a blast! First time I entered the academy was when I had a cousins birthday party, She was a student of the school, Very sad she got foolish and was kicked out for cheating on character development and overall showing no work. But, That of course was the past and her decision personally. Its hard to remember my first class fully because I am of course working on a lot of things as a CIT(Certified Instructor Trainee) for my academy
and Black Belt. I'll just say, It was easy but difficult.

SiHengHiram

White Belt
Reaction score
Don't remember anything about my first training session. Was sometime in the fall of 1965, only thing I can remember was being excited about going back.

Haha, When we got home I asked my dad "Can we go tommorow, Please!"

New Instructor

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that as a kid I loved doing things with my hands and feet. I'v seen most of the old school martial arts movies including Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Sho Kisugi ect. My first class I was nervous and scared to walk in the room. Once I started, my mind set was that I had to be the toughest student in there.

Ojibway Bob

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. I used to train a bit in Karate as a kid. I remember watching my Step brother fly around in the 70's, He was very good in Taekwondo.
I am a middle aged Male, in fairly good health but I have high blood pressure. I was looking for something that is fairly low impact as I have bad knees.

A couple of friends of mine suggested Wing Chun so I read about it and fell in love with the concepts. Well I decided to sign up and let me tell you...I was really scared of my knees when you are an outsider and looking at the beginner stance. After an hour and a half in the stance, My Legs KILL!!!! not my knees as I was worried about. I mean I feel like I have been squatting for days hahah. I have been to 3 classes so far and am hooked. I think it helps to be a member in a school with an incredible lineage.

Anyways I look forward to stalking the forums and maybe ask a silly question or two.

Latest Discussions