Tell me about your first day of training..

evan.fedora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was very anxious on that day. Others looked so much stronger than me that I felt very very nervous.

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first day was memorable to say the least!
So I went in day one wearing some workout gear because I didn't have my uniform yet. The class was practicing kicks that day and I worked so hard to get these kicks right. Granted it was day one but I want to get my roundhouse kick as good as I could get. I twisted on the other foot spinning at the pad the teacher held and hit pretty hard, but I over shot and didn't pull back fast enough. After walking back to the line I felt a pretty intense sting of pain from the foot I had kicked with. Looking down I noticed my nail of my big toe was ripped off almost completely wit blood coming out.
It was so embarrassing! The teacher and senior students got me band-aides and I was back on the mat practicing my forms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first day was memorable to say the least!
So I went in day one wearing some workout gear because I didn't have my uniform yet. The class was practicing kicks that day and I worked so hard to get these kicks right. Granted it was day one but I want to get my roundhouse kick as good as I could get. I twisted on the other foot spinning at the pad the teacher held and hit pretty hard, but I over shot and didn't pull back fast enough. After walking back to the line I felt a pretty intense sting of pain from the foot I had kicked with. Looking down I noticed my nail of my big toe was ripped off almost completely wit blood coming out.
It was so embarrassing! The teacher and senior students got me band-aides and I was back on the mat practicing my forms.
Most of us have managed to tear off toenails while training. In recent years, I've done it at least twice: once while teaching an open seminar (recruiting students) and once while sparring. When it happens, I have a few seconds to notice before I start bleeding like a horror film victim.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very anxious on that day. Others looked so much stronger than me that I felt very very nervous.
I think this is common for a lot of us when we first enter. It's hard not to notice how much better than us everyone else is - which shouldn't surprise us, since they're already training and it's our first day.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On the first day of my training, I was a little bit nervous as everyone is new to me there and I know there will be many things I have to learn. But never the less the first day of my training goes well and I made many friends and some self-defense technique I learnt there.

kunetao

White Belt
Reaction score
ah so Long ago the winter of 1989... I finally convinced My Uncle Greg to take me with him to class. (he was positive I wouldn't make it a week) So there I was a fat 9th grader in a MA class where it was by invitation / word of mouth only and everyone else was at least 21 and older and green belts and up no whites yellows or even greens at that time. It was a little intimidating and the workout left me in a pool of my own sweat....... I was hooked. Now my uncle was stuck taking me to class ;) But my uncle and I are still close and he is like a 2nd father.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training Kyokushin karate was was last week, I entered late in the term due to just moving to a new city, but the Sensei said that I may join the beginners group anyway due to the fact that i had tried Shitoryu karate once or twice a few years ago, and he told me that with some hard training and home-training I would make up for what i lost by entering late term.

My sensei is having high hopes on me as he wants me to grade by the end of the term even though i missed over a month of training, so I am given no slack, which i like.

I am starting the feel the pain I have read about, Kyokushin is undoubtedly very rough and my body is not used to taking kick and punches like this. I hope to harden and gain become 10th kyu by the end of the term. Having a blast each training, even though it is a ***** sometimes.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training Kyokushin karate was was last week, I entered late in the term due to just moving to a new city, but the Sensei said that I may join the beginners group anyway due to the fact that i had tried Shitoryu karate once or twice a few years ago, and he told me that with some hard training and home-training I would make up for what i lost by entering late term.

My sensei is having high hopes on me as he wants me to grade by the end of the term even though i missed over a month of training, so I am given no slack, which i like.

I am starting the feel the pain I have read about, Kyokushin is undoubtedly very rough and my body is not used to taking kick and punches like this. I hope to harden and gain become 10th kyu by the end of the term. Having a blast each training, even though it is a ***** sometimes.
Osu, you will soon discover that your idea of 'pain' will change as you go through your Kyokushin journey. The training can be very tough but the body gets used to the workload if the mind is willing to persist. We all started just like you so it is important to remember that. Each of the higher belts had the same doubts and the same questions but keep your head bowed, your eyes high and your mouth shut and above all else persist in whatever is asked of you. You will not only gain the respect of your fellow karateka but you will probably learn a thing or two about yourself.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
Osu, you will soon discover that your idea of 'pain' will change as you go through your Kyokushin journey. The training can be very tough but the body gets used to the workload if the mind is willing to persist. We all started just like you so it is important to remember that. Each of the higher belts had the same doubts and the same questions but keep your head bowed, your eyes high and your mouth shut and above all else persist in whatever is asked of you. You will not only gain the respect of your fellow karateka but you will probably learn a thing or two about yourself.

Osu, I am convinced of what you say and it's truth. I hope to be able to persist, I am very intrigued by the personal growth that seems to be connected with Karate. I am barely seeing the physical as a bi-product, the main result I want to see is my personal growth. I have convinced myself that I will find great use of knowing how to control myself better, in my professional and private life. It also happens to be a great work out with lots of fun and social properties.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Osu, I am convinced of what you say and it's truth. I hope to be able to persist, I am very intrigued by the personal growth that seems to be connected with Karate. I am barely seeing the physical as a bi-product, the main result I want to see is my personal growth. I have convinced myself that I will find great use of knowing how to control myself better, in my professional and private life. It also happens to be a great work out with lots of fun and social properties.
There is a lot of personal growth you will soon discover as your limits are tested. Being part of Kyokushin dojo means you will be tested each time you step on the tatami. You will not only become more physically fit but you will also discover how the mental toughness required to persist in the training will spread out to other areas of your life. It is definitely a good workout but more importantly, if you stick with it, you will find out about the amazing community that is part of each of our Kyokushin journeys. Good luck and feel free to reach out anytime.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a lot of personal growth you will soon discover as your limits are tested. Being part of Kyokushin dojo means you will be tested each time you step on the tatami. You will not only become more physically fit but you will also discover how the mental toughness required to persist in the training will spread out to other areas of your life. It is definitely a good workout but more importantly, if you stick with it, you will find out about the amazing community that is part of each of our Kyokushin journeys. Good luck and feel free to reach out anytime.

Can't begin to tell you how much I love this.

raysshii

White Belt
Reaction score
I started Taekwondo exactly two months ago. It was my first time doing any martial art. I was really nervous and afraid of being put with people who have experience. Ended up in a class where everyone is a white belt and 3 yellow belts. It was really hard at the beginning but I still enjoyed it. The first two weeks, my body was aching so much. But now I just had my exam and got my yellow stripe 2 weeks ago and Taekwondo became such a motivation for me to go through the weeks, waiting for my class twice a week. I'm so glad I chose this martial art. I'm 18 but I'm still wishing to get my black belt someday.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started Taekwondo exactly two months ago. It was my first time doing any martial art. I was really nervous and afraid of being put with people who have experience. Ended up in a class where everyone is a white belt and 3 yellow belts. It was really hard at the beginning but I still enjoyed it. The first two weeks, my body was aching so much. But now I just had my exam and got my yellow stripe 2 weeks ago and Taekwondo became such a motivation for me to go through the weeks, waiting for my class twice a week. I'm so glad I chose this martial art. I'm 18 but I'm still wishing to get my black belt someday.
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It is always great to hear these stories. It is too easy to forget how hard it was in the beginning.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, and CONGRATS on the yellow stripe! So awesome hearing this sort of thing, I love your excitement, keep at it! Hope to hear from you more in the forum :)

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
My first karate-semester is coming to an end, the grading is next weekend, I have my last week of preparing left before I hopefully will recieve my first belt!
Mix och nervousness and excitement, hope it will turn out well! :woot:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My first karate-semester is coming to an end, the grading is next weekend, I have my last week of preparing left before I hopefully will recieve my first belt!
Mix och nervousness and excitement, hope it will turn out well! :woot:
Congratulations! Work your training and all will go well. Keep in touch.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! Work your training and all will go well. Keep in touch.

Today I had the graduation and I can proudly say that I am now 10th kyu! I am now allowed to start training with the other groups in the dojo, not just the beginners one. This means more opportunities to attend each week and each time will be even thougher. I can't wait, going there on monday with my new belt, ready to start grinding for the next milestone. Amazing day, but I am tired, sempai didn't give us much slack. Only brake we had was to sit and watch while the 10th kyu's did their techniques for 9th kyu. A very much appreciated time for rest.

Your text has been proven more and more true. I am getting used to the pain more and more, I was close to losing my breath due to a very hard punch to my chest the other day, but I just took a few quick breaths and kept the fight going although my body asked me to rest for a minute. I thank you for your motivational messages as well, it has many times popped into my head. I feel extremely motivated to one day reach black belt in Kyokushin. It is developing into somewhat of a dream, instead of just a funny thought...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Today I had the graduation and I can proudly say that I am now 10th kyu! I am now allowed to start training with the other groups in the dojo, not just the beginners one. This means more opportunities to attend each week and each time will be even thougher. I can't wait, going there on monday with my new belt, ready to start grinding for the next milestone. Amazing day, but I am tired, sempai didn't give us much slack. Only brake we had was to sit and watch while the 10th kyu's did their techniques for 9th kyu. A very much appreciated time for rest.

Your text has been proven more and more true. I am getting used to the pain more and more, I was close to losing my breath due to a very hard punch to my chest the other day, but I just took a few quick breaths and kept the fight going although my body asked me to rest for a minute. I thank you for your motivational messages as well, it has many times popped into my head. I feel extremely motivated to one day reach black belt in Kyokushin. It is developing into somewhat of a dream, instead of just a funny thought...
Fantastic news! You may find some the excitement settles but I hope you never fully lose it. It is great to hear news like yours. Very motivating.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah congratulations mate osu, that's fantastic! Your first step on the Kyokushin journey! I just went to watch a blackbelt grading yesterday in my old dojo, was just incredible... so inspiring! But yeah I recommend focusing on where you are now, bask in where you are now too you deserve it, and be open to learning on this great journey. Osu :)

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic news! You may find some the excitement settles but I hope you never fully lose it. It is great to hear news like yours. Very motivating.

Of course, I expect to settle but if I can remember this feeling, I can easier motivate myself to continue when I reach plateus in my journey.
Thank you for your words!

Ah congratulations mate osu, that's fantastic! Your first step on the Kyokushin journey! I just went to watch a blackbelt grading yesterday in my old dojo, was just incredible... so inspiring! But yeah I recommend focusing on where you are now, bask in where you are now too you deserve it, and be open to learning on this great journey. Osu :)

I want to see a black belt grading too, sadly there is no possibility of that in my city. If anyone from my dojo is to grade up to black, they willhave to travel to Gothenburg or Stockholm I think. Our dojo can only grade us to a certain level before we have to go to bigger dojos.
Anyway, thanks for your words! Appreciate it!

Latest Discussions