Tell me about your first day of training..

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought I was going to have a hard attack at the age of 23. It was my first introduction to what real kung fu is about.

sswari

White Belt
Reaction score
It was 1968 or '69. I was 7 years old. I can't say that I really remember much about it.
Lots of memories since, though.
So, we are about the same age, I wish I had started when I was 7, but I did finally get started, 3 weeks ago. I am 53 years old, wow, what a klutz. The dojo is a bit informal sometimes, but when it is time to train, it is time to train! Love my sensie and they love what they do. Kind of starting to get it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we are about the same age, I wish I had started when I was 7, but I did finally get started, 3 weeks ago. I am 53 years old, wow, what a klutz. The dojo is a bit informal sometimes, but when it is time to train, it is time to train! Love my sensie and they love what they do. Kind of starting to get it.

You're never to old. One of our students is a woman who attended class regularly for years, but as a spectator, watching her grandson. He lost interest after reaching 2nd or 3rd geup, and she decided to join the class. She was in her mid-60's then. She recently turned 72.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of first times for me:
1. as a 10 year old kid I started Judo lessons. We had a 2hr class, spend probably 30-40 min on warm up, pushups and abs and the rest of the class learning breakfalls. I stuck with it for 4 years or so until my teen years demanded a focus on other interests....stupid in hindsight.

2. As a 43 year old I took kid #2 to TKD to get him off his butt, then kid #1 joined and finally I joined because it seemed way better than sitting around watching them. Luckily I had already gotten off the couch and was exercising regularly so the physical demands were not so bad....except for my hips......every side and round house kick hurt like hell.
More challenging was the first sparring class I attended about 6 months later.....I thought I was going to die.

3. A couple of weeks ago I checked out a more self defense-based school. Pad drills and scenario training, multiple attackers. Very different from what we do in TKD but a lot of fun. I want to go back and start training but am not sure if I can make it work with the family life.

Groark

White Belt
Reaction score
I started Goju-Ryu about two weeks ago at the age of 27. I had a private one hour lesson for the first day. I was familiar with Sensei, since he taught my little brother for some years while I was an audience member, so we were both serious and casual. This is how it went, if I remember right:

First, some primary stances. Then he started me on a Rising Block, until I got the most basic of motions down (me flailing). We practiced the straight punch, realizing that I had some serious shoulder tenseness to overcome down the line. Then, my favorite, the kicks! Knee kick, evolving into a front kick with the ball of the foot, sweeping back, and returning to stance. He called it a four point kick. We finished it all with mae washi geri, which is a roundhouse that I enjoy very much. Sensei's demonstration knocked the standing punching bag off its rocker, but I got in one or two myself!

I know we did a bit more. His focus was giving me the most for the 30 dollar an hour private session, so that I could practice at home along with a 10th Kyu worksheet that detailed what the white belt is going to study.

I have now moved onto beginner adult classes after he encouraged me to not be so shy. And it was well worth going to, the other students of various levels are very welcoming. I still feel like a fish out of water, and am afraid to speak up when confused, but I'm glad I have something now in my life that has anchored me. It might sound sudden to say this after only two weeks of lessons, but I am a simple person who has been seeking and seeking somewhere to belong, with something personal and meaningful to accomplish, and now I've found it - and it's like I said, an anchor. I've been a very lost, lonely wanderer, and that feeling is changing.

defeq

White Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I really remember about my first day was seeing a girl dancing,very beautiful!

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sad story: in first day, i did a rolling on floor but i'am heavy and i landed on my toe and i was forced to rest for 7 days. my toe still hurt tho :shifty::(

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LOL my first day of training was learning the basic ground positions and submissions that went with them. I then got to roll with more experienced and larger opponents. Pretty much grabbed a gravata and held on for dear life which Successfully pissed off the first guy in my grappling session but I then got submitted by a more skilled opponent the next roll.

Nothing like being new meat thrown to wolves.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My 1st time of training was awesome and Fun I really like it The Instructor told us we gona do jumping jacks 5 to the fron 5 to the back then 7 7 5 hehehehe then he told us to do 10 push ups then he made us stretch our leg and we did sit ups and burphies lunges and stuff so its funnnnnnnnnnnn

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i went along with my friend on her 1st day of training and i was enjoying basic martial arts.:shy:

Martial_Artist

White Belt
Reaction score
The first time I attempted a martial art I was 4 years old. In my tiny suit and pearly white belt I walked onto the mat. My parents where so proud, I had just become a little judoka.
I practised the sport for five years until my teacher got too ill and I quit too. Years later, I would return to these arts in a different country and a very different setting and age.
I am currently practising Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu and started dabbling in Tai Chi. Am looking for kung fu as well and then find which one suits me best :)
I found your forum on my journey and decided to join up, hopefully share some tips and information with you :pigeon:

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training?
Two words: "it's sucks"

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This might come in handy for some of you guys -

Always remember what your first day was like, remember those first weeks and months, all the different feelings you had. Because, some of you will very likely go on to teaching Martial Arts. When you do, there's going to be people who are training for the very first time. It can really help if you remember what it was like. Help both them and you.

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training was this past March. I trained Shotokan in college for about 4 years and after I graduated I looked for a school that taught that style wherever I lived, but could not find a school near me so it fell to the back burner and I got out of martial arts. After several years away from martial arts I decided to finally start training again as my normal workouts weren't giving me the results I was used to. I found a place that teaches three different styles, Wu Ying Tao, Modern Arnis, and Arnis Jitsu.

My first Wu Ying Tao class was a real eye opener. It is so much different than Shotokan and it starts with the stance. I was also sparring from the first day, whereas with my previous school we didn't spar much unless you were about a green belt and above. My first Modern Arnis class was an absolute blast. I've taken to this style very well and it is by far my favorite style right now. Finally my first Arnis Jitsu class was an eye opener. I never wrestled or grappled in the past so in the first class we were practicing basic locks and positions, and flow to take down and I admit it was somewhat uncomfortable. I was up close and personal with my classmates and instructor, which is not what I was used to, and the locks scare the crap out of me. I also didn't realize how much of a workout grappling really is and how technical it can get.

Now that I've been training for about 9 months I find that these three styles really can compliment each other especially the modern arnis and arnis jitsu. From the empty handed training to the lock flows in arnis jitsu they really seem to work well together. I've gotten more comfortable with all three styles and while modern arnis is still my favorite, I've really gotten to enjoy arnis jitsu.

sevakdev

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day at a Shaolin-do kung fu school went like this. When I walked in I was greeted by a dog wagging it's tail which thrilled me as I work in the veterinary industry. He's the master's pup and is always around. I was greeted by many kind people, one of which helped me retie my belt as I had it on the wrong way. The class warm ups where very familiar to me as I have a background in yoga so I felt right at home and peaceful. The punching and kicking exercise helped work out tension. I loved learning the first 5 katas as they felt very graceful. Then we learned the first 5 self defense forms so I am confidant I could throw off an attacker at the ATM machine. During sparring holding eye contact for the entire time was very edgy for me. I am very introverted and shy and this part really took me out of my comfort zone, (but I need that so badly which is why i signed up!). my palms where sweaty the whole time and I was worried I was doing everything wrong. The master and fellow students where very helpful, kind, and encouraging. I love my new kung fu community. It's just what I need.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a kid I went to dads class to workout and be around him and his friends. It was a great way to stay in shape along with wrestling. I came back as a way to deal with disabilities, I am hooked. There is no doubt. I will quit the 12th of never.

I've had a similar experience with disabilities. My dad, brother and I started working out in 82 and I was very sick then and have been most of my life. Martial Arts has tremedounsly helped me with my illnesses. Unfortunately, I stopped instructing classes back in 2004 due to illness. I still study at home, though.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first day of martial arts training is always hard because of the unknown. But, after many years of the physical part of training from the outside in and as we age, we truly begin to learn.
After many years on the dojo floor and many birthdays we begin a new journey of inward growth which takes us into our much later years. It is for this reason it is said that the martial walk is a lifetime endeavor. Learning never ends, continue to learn and enjoy the ride.

Latest Discussions