Technique question: Ridgehand

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Suddenly, I remember what this website is for. (I've been hanging around in the study too much.)

I got some good information when I asked about palm strikes, so I thought I'd try a similar question again with a different technique.

Ridgehand strikes: My main concern is how to put power into one without using some exaggerated shoulder movement. Please feel free to answer any of the following questions as well.

How do you adjust your technique for a vertical ridgehand strike, as opposed to a horizontal one?

How do you adjust this technique for board breaks?

How do you prefer to use this technique in sparring, or in self-defense, if you use it all?

If you've got questions of your own about ridgehands, please ask them as well.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zepp said:
How do you adjust your technique for a vertical ridgehand strike, as opposed to a horizontal one?

We have a guy who does an over the shoulder thumb break on cement (big guy) but that I would think is the general movement, except tucking the thumb back instead.

How do you adjust this technique for board breaks?

This can be held probably like an axe kick with the board probably more horizontal or on blocks as he did with the thumb break.

How do you prefer to use this technique in sparring, or in self-defense, if you use it all?

Can't in sparring, but in SD, a ridge hand to a wrist holding a knife is neither straight horizontal or vertical probably a diagonal coming down. Horizontally we use ridgehand to below the nose, above the lip for self defense. TW

O

OC Kid

I use it for sparring and have used it for self defense.

I teach my kids to use it for sparring and in a street sit. to change it to a hook punch.
Its all about choosing the target areas.

I will throw it straight out and turn my foot toward that target simular to turning the lead foot for a boxers hook . To put power into it.

On the street Ive used it simular to a jab (lead technique) to cut the areas around a persons eye and follow up with a strong reverse punch.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My friend dose his ridge hand perfectly....Although he dosn't mean to do a ridge hand. He will throw a hook and it just turns into a ridge hand....not many people use them anymore and it throws your opponent off. He just has a lot of natural talent when it comes to the ridge hand

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
A hook punch is horizontal and not near the same motion (hook). Zepp was describing a vertical motion not the familiar horizontal one. Also a ridgehand's striking area is on the inside of the hand...the thumb is tucked and the edge of the hand above the thumb strikes. TW

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
From top to bottom, I can't think of a reason to use it. In that position a knife hand strike is far, far easier to execute. Or even just a hammer fist, or an elbow if the range permits. Where do you envision using a vertical ridge hand?

As a strike to the top lip/nose, a TW says, or to the throat.

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
A hook punch is horizontal and not near the same motion (hook). Zepp was describing a vertical motion not the familiar horizontal one.

Actually I was looking for information on both the horizontal and vertical varieties. But I'm just as happy to read about one at a time.

Adept said:
From top to bottom, I can't think of a reason to use it. In that position a knife hand strike is far, far easier to execute. Or even just a hammer fist, or an elbow if the range permits. Where do you envision using a vertical ridge hand?

Mostly just in breaking. Although, you could use a vertical ridgehand on someone's collar bone. But I agree, a hammer fist or knifehand would probably be more practical. I'm just exploring possibilities and inviting anyone who's interested to help. Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. :asian: Keep it coming... :)

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Q: How do you adjust your technique for a vertical ridgehand strike, as opposed to a horizontal one?
A: Always keep your elbow bent when doing a ridgehand......this strike when done incorrectly has probably hurt more guys performing than the guys they were trying to hit. i never use the ridgehand from a hook shot standpoint......its weak and ineffective, a wet noodle would be a better weapon in this regard. i have always been taught by both teachers and from personal experience that a ridgehand properly executed should originate from your centerline whether it is a vertical or horizontal strike, and end with a lateral snap of the wrist on impact

Q: How do you adjust this technique for board breaks?
A: the big showy overhead boardbreaking strike is just that. another elbow burner if done wrong (owwww). when breaking boards or bricks with this technique, it is better if they are held by someone in the same position if you were doing a roundhouse or mawashi geri or a front kick(mae geri) about chin level. its powerful and effective and SAFE.

Q: How do you prefer to use this technique in sparring, or in self-defense, if you use it all?
A: in self defense this is the perfect strike for the brachial plexus, ear, orbit....most bony and muscular features and nerve centres on the superior axial skeleton in a horizontal fashion. vertical strikes would include the chin, nose, ear.....depending on the position of your opponent.

shawn

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:

As a strike to the top lip/nose, a TW says, or to the throat.
Ok, I wasn't going to post on this topic but, you obviously didn't explore "bottom" as much as you claim. Every time you walk down the street your arms make verticle ridge hand motions. The groin is the perfect target. If an opponent is bent at the waist, the throat would be a big target. Its our most common motion for gods sake!!!!. Ok, I feel better now
Sean

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Ok, I wasn't going to post on this topic but, you obviously didn't explore "bottom" as much as you claim. Every time you walk down the street your arms make verticle ridge hand motions. The groin is the perfect target. If an opponent is bent at the waist, the throat would be a big target. Its our most common motion for gods sake!!!!. Ok, I feel better now
Sean
Ahem. By 'top to bottom' I was referring to a downward strike. Striking the groin would be an upward strike. Still a vertical ridge hand strike though.

S

sifu Adams

this should throw a twist in it. We (Shaolin Kungfu) use the ridgehand in seval of are anamial forms. as for hitting over top, our Wounded Black tiger will strike to the head to draw the block, then we grab (with both hands) the arm spin and break the arm over the our shoulder. The Tai Pang (bird) uses the ridgehand (we call them wings) to strike to the upper lip or neck. The hsing-I chicken (yes I said Chicken) starts by steping to the side into a low (LOW) bo stance as you opponit penatrats in and will strike to the groan with one ridgehand the riase up on one leg and hit to the pressure point to the back of the neck with the oppisit ridgehand (done right produces a KO). Maybe that will help you.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
American Kenpo does use the ridgehand in several techniques, especially as an aid in sweep takedowns. It is also used as a strike to soft or sensitive areas (generally throat, neck, nose, groin, etc.) The ridgehand is one of our sparring moves too.

Power for the ridgehand usually is generated from the hip through stance changes.

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
Ahem. By 'top to bottom' I was referring to a downward strike. Striking the groin would be an upward strike. Still a vertical ridge hand strike though.
Then in that case there are a few grappling applications I can think of. But it would be more of a striking insert as you reach towrd your opposite hip to say deal with a single leg take down.

Attack = single leg take down.

1. Peel head off hip with same side hand and mantain a face lock.
2. Swing the opposite hand striking with a downward verticle ridge hand to the the exposed carroted artery.
3. And Cover.

Sean

C

clapping_tiger

Zepp said:
Ridgehand strikes: My main concern is how to put power into one without using some exaggerated shoulder movement.

What I do that works pretty well and have wobbled a few friends with little effort is this: Let's say you are sparring and they repeatedly throw a right punch or even a kick. As I see the strike develop I parry the strike and pin it downward as I slide to my left, a little bit outside of their body as I strike with the right ridgehand. Adding your body weight and momentum into it greatly increases your power, and leaves little as far as telegraphing because you are using it to counter. Remember not to fully extend the arm to avoid injury to your elbow. That is the only way I can think of off hand to add power to the strike without exaggerated upper body movement.

Zepp said:
I use it for both (although I have not really used it in a self defense situation, I train for using it in a self defense situation though) The Ridgehand is one of my 3 favorite weapons.

C

clapping_tiger

Ceicei said:
Power for the ridgehand usually is generated from the hip through stance changes.

- Ceicei
That way too! That was one detail I forgot to mention in my example of using it sparring. When you slide to the outside as you strike you pop into a lunge stance, and that is what helps add more momentum to the strike on top of your weight moving forward.

O

OC Kid

When I used to fight tournaments I'd use a ridgehand and throw it like throwing a baseball I guess that counts as a overhead ridge. Id also side step someones lead hand technique parry it with one hand and use a ridge to strike him in the face same motion as the baseball one so another overhead ridge.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you speak of a "break" I think of breaking boards. Here is a break I've done and that you can try: inside ridgehand, followed by outside knifehand with same hand. This would be a horizontal motion. Another break would be the groin strike ridgehand (works well if you walk through) and that would be an example of a upward vertical motion.

To actually put power into any strike, especially this one, your power needs to originate in the hips and trunk. The shoulder must move (to some degree, at least) and the arm cannot be fully straight. A suggestion would be to practice first with phonebooks - if you hit them right, you'll hear that cracking, popping sound and that is the signal you can break one 1-inch pine board at least with that strike. Then try a re-breakable or a thinner board. It's good to build up to the break so as not to break your metacarpal bones.

Self-defense applications of the ridgehand would be strikes to the temples, all around the neck and throat area (especially to aid in sweeps), low to the bladder (positioning is key here), insides of joints to bend them for positioning into joint locks, etc.

Hope that helps.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
CC is right, you get power through stance changes with power originating from the hip.

also, remember not to throw your ridgehand like a "roundhouse-haymaker" punch. you don't get any more power out of doing it this way, you telegraph your striking intent, and very prone to injury from a hyperextended elbow or shoulder dislocation. when using a ridgehand to strike, lets say, the nose or throat, make sure the path of your weapon is straight in, not rounded.

great targets for a ridgehand weapon are:

nose
throat
groin
solar plexis
temple
base of skull

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
In fighting or sparring, try parrying or checking any straight punch with the outside hand and follow it up with a ridge hand to the face with your inside hand as you move in. After striking the face, continue in a crescent through and down to the kidney with a hammerfist. Very fast, very effective--good multiple-attacker move. You can also slip a punch and send it to the abdomen instead. That's a fight stopper if you pick your targets and angles well. One of my fight club pals used to use this maneuver all the time, and I adopted it from him just to give him a taste of his own medicine--and found myself using it A LOT. As Sean said, the ridge hand is a very natural movement, so it doesn't telegraph much--it's often hard to pick up until it's too late.

It's really easy to hyperextend an elbow with ridge hands--especially when you're moving forward while throwing them. If you plan to use them a lot, I'd do some bagwork to perfect your technique and condition those specific muscles and ligaments.

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, and who recently helped resurrect this thread. (I almost forgot about it. :D )

And extra thanks to shesulsa for that phonebook suggestion. I'll be trying that one out, along with most of these.

Post more info. if you've got it. :)

Latest Discussions