ma language differences

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Over the past yr or 2 I've come to realise what a difference having the right term for the right lyric can make. On these boards there are artists from soo many different styles that it makes good sense to cross-train/trade our terms.

Here's a link to Wc pak sao to begin http://www.wingchunonline.com/WCS_Training/6_Pak_Saos.html,

and here's another to some japanese terms http://www.combatgear.co.uk/terminology.htm

and one for korean http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=245

pls feel free to add your own and particularly for takedowns..........

oh and here 's another lest we forget....http://www.karateterminology.co.uk/katafeet.php

one for shaolin www.americaneuopeanshaolin.com

or make that 2........... www.americaneuropeanshaolin.com

cheers

BL

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just between WTF and ITF Taekwondo there are different terms too, its probably endless... TW

OP
B

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Likely. But I'm not the only person who likes to understand when someones speaking of one of my own techs in a diff term or language I'm sure.........

nice to know what ppl are saying and discussing about my art I work so hard toward anyway ;)

BL

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, except for the basic terms (attention, ready, bow, etc.), I usually stay with English terms because my Instructor used English. The exceptions are the techniques he used Korean for. Even today, I still say "yuk su do" for ridgehand. However, he used "sum shi" for breathing and I say "breathing". I will throw in the occasional Korean technique term if I think it is useful for them to know.

OP
B

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So have some of mine and I had no problem with it until I came across other ppl from other styles who I learn from or trade information with about techs and variations and I had no clue what they were saying ( and vice versa) ( like when talking takedowns aikdo style with judoka or xingyi kicks with tkders) until I got the pic or lyric explanation. When you don't have alot of time and are juggling alot of information, occums razor is well applied by a lil read prior to the moment you need and don't have the info.

cheers

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He also used "chung dan yop chagi" and "sang dan yop chagi" and I use middle and high side kick. Never really felt the need for Korean in a room full of Americans. He also said what it was called or the name for a technique is not as important as proper technique. In other words, Tae Kwon Do is a physical art, not a linguistic one. So knowing the absolute proper term is not as important as being able to do it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So many different languages. Sign language....body bending down--DUCK. Fist coming your way....OUCH if we don't move? People love to share and give sign languages...it it universal? ...MY hands are waving...Aloha

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
He also used "chung dan yop chagi" and "sang dan yop chagi" and I use middle and high side kick. Never really felt the need for Korean in a room full of Americans. He also said what it was called or the name for a technique is not as important as proper technique. In other words, Tae Kwon Do is a physical art, not a linguistic one. So knowing the absolute proper term is not as important as being able to do it.

There is actually much you can learn about technique from knowing the language the art originally came from.
For example: we have a technique that translates as "taking out the slack", by knowing this term for the technique it tells you what the technique is trying to accomplish........one can argue that you could just use the English translation, however, not knowing Japanese I wouldn't have known the meaning

Latest Discussions