Teaching MMA as Muay Thai

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not really. You should fight in as many sports as you can. Whether you look like a buffoon or not.

Why limit yourself?

we can agree to disagree but so your coach fought a muay thai match? did he really? against a real muay thai fighter? did he gain anything except saying, ' Look, I had a MT rules fight and I just smothered the **** out of him, I'm multidimensional' . It may impress the **** out of you but I think it's a chickenshit way to say you 'fought moooey tai'. It is not MMA and won't be. never tried to be.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we can agree to disagree but so your coach fought a muay thai match? did he really? against a real muay thai fighter? did he gain anything except saying, ' Look, I had a MT rules fight and I just smothered the **** out of him, I'm multidimensional' . It may impress the **** out of you but I think it's a chickenshit way to say you 'fought moooey tai'. It is not MMA and won't be. never tried to be.

The other guy had 11 fights 7 wins according to the announcer.

Seems moo tai enough for me.

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The other guy had 11 fights 7 wins according to the announcer.

Seems moo tai enough for me.
Well, I'm going to say you are pretty uneducated. The title of your thread just irritated me and the video was not Muay Thai. Dude, the world has known grappling beats striking or smothering beats a boxer. How many fights did you coach have? its silly to waste my time with this argument anymore. And I owned a MMA gym and had a fighter that fought in the UFC twice and fought Anderson Silva for a world title in Cage Rage and Rich Franklin in Superbrawl. I had a stable of MMA fighters. I'm a purple belt.

Do some fight watching of fights from thailand. you will learn to appreciate what they are doing. Youtube is so full of it. Type in ONE Super series muay thia fights and watch from great fighters and they are wearing 4 oz gloves just to up the ante.

I'm apologizing for cussing you up but you are likely young and not exposed to this stuff for long. As Ive got 26 years plus another 3 years of traditional stuff. You just can't train volleyball and expect it to make you a better basketball player. Or study German to get better at English. They are all sports and languages but different. Take care man......

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to say you are pretty uneducated. The title of your thread just irritated me and the video was not Muay Thai. Dude, the world has known grappling beats striking or smothering beats a boxer. How many fights did you coach have? its silly to waste my time with this argument anymore. And I owned a MMA gym and had a fighter that fought in the UFC twice and fought Anderson Silva for a world title in Cage Rage and Rich Franklin in Superbrawl. I had a stable of MMA fighters. I'm a purple belt.

Do some fight watching of fights from thailand. you will learn to appreciate what they are doing. Youtube is so full of it. Type in ONE Super series muay thia fights and watch from great fighters and they are wearing 4 oz gloves just to up the ante.

I'm apologizing for cussing you up but you are likely young and not exposed to this stuff for long. As Ive got 26 years plus another 3 years of traditional stuff. You just can't train volleyball and expect it to make you a better basketball player. Or study German to get better at English. They are all sports and languages but different. Take care man......

I live in Queensland. I know what muay Thai fights are.

You suggested the ref wasn't reputable. I showed he was.

You suggested the rules were broken. I showed you the rules.

You said the opponent wasn't an experienced fighter. I showed he had 11 something fights.

You keep suggesting other thai fighters fight differently. That is kind of irrelevant.

Here are some thai fighters that I know. And trained with personally.

Jay Tonkin.

Nick trask. With the little gloves.

Actually the commentator for nicks fight Mark Castanidi
I trained with him for a bit as well.

And having a real close look. That ref looks kind of familiar.

Last edited:

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Queensland Muay Thai back to the glory days of JWP. In fact I have a picture of him at my house when he came to do a seminar at my gym. Essentally, what I'm saying is your question is NO, if you want to fight muay thai train at a MT gym. If you want to fight MMA, train at a MMA gym. Wayne's caged muay thai with 4 oz gloves was the original and ONE uses that format now. I will concede that you could train for a MT fight in a MMA gym and vice versa but we are talking apples and oranges. I won't deny your coach his wins, probably 20plus fights or thereabouts, I'm just saying aesthetically it was not muay thai and the clinching would have been broken up by a trained Thai referee as all it was was pressure and hooks. Whoever matched the fight must've needed an extra fight. QLD people are knowledgeable about the fight game.

Latest Discussions