No hablo englais...

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
To start off, my school is located in a large town with a very scant minority population. It's not a very culturally diverse area.
Recently, a youth whose parents immigrated from Mexico came in to our dojang wanting to sign up. One issue, though, is that he speaks very little english, and the vast majority of the people in my school don't speak spanish. My instructor picked up a lot of conversational spanish from the army, so he won't have a problem. I've had one semester of spanish, and another on its way. I feel that I might be able to learn some of the language through this and also help to teach him.

Has anyone else had to try to adapt their instruction to a bilingual class? If so, what were your experiences? Anyone have thoughts on this?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had taught a hearing imparied child for a year or so. At first it was difficult, but as time went by I learned a little bit of sign language and how to speak in a manner she could read my lips. Taught me a lot about patience and the rewards that come with it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes.

We had an immigrant from Mexico in our class who spoke very little English (ingles) but understood a fair amount. I used to speak Castillian Spanish fluently, but 20+ years without practice have left me virtually inept. So when he arrived at our school, I checked out a bunch of tapes to try to revive my Spanish, but wound up turning any translation over to another student who was a social worker and spoke Mexican Spanish and could translate far better than I could.

Not long after, however, he said, "No - don't speak Spanish to me, I want to learn to speak English." So ... I spoke English to him. He learned quickly.

chempo2

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an instructor, but we had a spanish speaking student in our class. Another student who was there sometimes spoke spanish fluently and would help. Most of the time the instructor would teach him kinesthetically by physically adjusting positions and let him feel the movement of the techniques.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had both - deaf, and non-English speakers. I do the same things mentioned here - except that, for the deaf student, it also included writing things down. Repeat directions/technique names the exact same way every time - that will help this student to attach words to actions; whenever possible, demonstrate while giving directions. Physically manipulating him through movements may be necessary until he understands enough to know when you want him to copy your movements, and also because verbal feedback won't be useful to him right away. I would also suggest you write things down for him.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Not long after, however, he said, "No - don't speak Spanish to me, I want to learn to speak English." So ... I spoke English to him. He learned quickly.

Speaking as someone who lives in Japan, I think that is the best course. If you live in an area where there is another language spoken, you learn the language. I will not hang around with folks who live in Japan and won't learn Japanese.

If you are talking about self defense, then the ability to communicate with others- like the police, is critical. Even if you are not studying that aspect of martial arts, then you should do what you can to learn rather than make the teacher expand effort outside of MA training to reach you.

And at the beggining, there really is not much language needed to understand most martial arts. Being physical and moving arms and such to position probably will be quicker than learning enough Spainish to tell them to move it. I have had a teacher do that with me. Just be aware that some folks find this pushy. It is just a price you have to pay in order to learn the best way possible.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just in my geography class. And I don't help her so much as flirt with her. But I do have an idea of what you're through.