strechig&flexibility for kicking

R

red_herring

Hello, I would like to get some ideas about streching for kicking speed and flexibility.Yesterday I did a little bit sparring and i noticed that my kicking speed and power isn't the same it used to be.And my friend said its because i have lost on flexibility and I have build up too much muscles with weight lifting.So I desided to start doing some training for my flexibility.I know some streching for upper body, i used to do it before wresling, but i have no idea about streching for legs, because i have never done any.If you could please teach me some streches for leg flexibility(Im not interested in buying any videos or books or similar things i have bad experience with them)I hope you know some pages on the internet were i could print out some information.I would like to have the explanations with pictures, because my native language is not english and im poor on understanding the names of the streches.If you have any information please let me know.

thank you

H.F.

OP
O

OC Kid

Stretching is done to avoid injury. It doesnt help flexibility. Because you are weight lifting your muscles are tightening. So what I did was warm up the muscles by riding a stationary bike, jumping rope ect then kick. The only way to gain speed and flexibility in your kicks is to kick. No 2 ways about it.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

OC Kid said:
Stretching is done to avoid injury. It doesnt help flexibility.

Huh? Don't know where that comes from. Stretching is the *only* way to increase range of motion. Recent studies have said that it isn't all that useful to prevent injury, although the studies probably were limited to static stretching. Kicking is one of the best ways to increase your kick height and is a form of "dynamic" stretching.

There are tons of books, videos and web pages dedicated to stretching. Look it up and you'll find a lot more information that I could ever go into here. In particular, I like the book "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz and a book by, I think, Anderson which I believe is simply titled "Stretching."

WhiteBirch

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have found that to increase my kicking flexability, I had to stretch my lower back. I used several stretches, I will try to describe them.

First.. sitting on the floor, sreading legs as wide a possible, leaning forward, then towards each ankle.

Second... legs together then leaning forward grabbing feet.

Third... Do a kick to the side and place foot on something stabel( or someone holding it) Lean into the kick direction. (Have the person lift as well)

Fourth... In a fighting stance, swing back leg forward and up as high a possible.

Just a few for ya.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are alot of threads on this. Look in Taekwondo, back a few pages.
I do the static stretching mentioned by oldnewbie, then dynamic stretching. Then the workout to warm up, then slow double side kicks, I do 100 of these, but start out at 20 or 30 each leg. Hold on to something and bring your leg out as far up as possible with the toe pointed down in proper sidekick position then hold it for two seconds-one one thousand, two one thousand-that long.

Dynamic stretching is just bringing your leg straight up-need 15-20 to loosen up and side to side bring your leg to the side up, same 15-20. We always do these prior to workout beside other warmups.

For front kicks it requires the same, slow front kicks held. I started at barely doing belt level, and now go all the way up. The static stretches help tremendously with that. Stretch until you are uncomfortable but not in pain. Stretch every day, if you go too long without stretching the muscle tighten up again.

Also isometric stretches. where you go into a split position and contract your inner thigh for a few second. and do these 3-4 times AFTER workout. You can do front splits and side splits doing this. Each time you should be able to go down a little further especially after the front splits. This does not work as well unless you go to a position that is "uncomfortable".

Weight lifting frequently shortens the muscle. For kicking we need to lengthen them for flexibility. Also in your workout do hook and axe kicks to head level (try anyway).

Again, there is alot in the threads on this both probably in General and Taekwondo. It does take work over a long period of time, so be patient and diligent-do it every day or most days and you will improve. TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
red_herring said:
Hello, I would like to get some ideas about streching for kicking speed and flexibility.Yesterday I did a little bit sparring and i noticed that my kicking speed and power isn't the same it used to be.And my friend said its because i have lost on flexibility and I have build up too much muscles with weight lifting.So I desided to start doing some training for my flexibility.I know some streching for upper body, i used to do it before wresling, but i have no idea about streching for legs, because i have never done any.If you could please teach me some streches for leg flexibility(Im not interested in buying any videos or books or similar things i have bad experience with them)I hope you know some pages on the internet were i could print out some information.I would like to have the explanations with pictures, because my native language is not english and im poor on understanding the names of the streches.If you have any information please let me know.

thank you

H.F.

Stretching doesnt help flexibility?? News to me, but anyway, yes it does help with your flexibility as well as prevent injury. Some that I do.

1- From a standing position, start moving your legs out to the sides are far as you can. Alternate between the left, right and center. You should feel this on the inside of your legs.

2- Start with feet wider than shoulder length. Turn one foot to the side and lean in that direction, keeping your upper body straight. Switch sides. Again, you should feel this on the inside.

3- Feet together, bend forward at the waist, attempting to touch your hands to the floor. This will hit the back of the legs.

4- For the top, you can grab onto your ankle, pulling your leg behind you, knee pointing down.

As with any stretch, start off slow and gradually build up. I find that I get my best stretch when I'm already warmed up.

Good Luck!!

Mike

OP
S

sifu Adams

We use a system the touches on a few of the ideas above. We are told to strech for flexiblity you have to warm the legs up. If you are only streching a the beginnig of class you will go to the same place each time. to get my hight and flexiablity I fallowed my instuctors advise.

1. strech the legs (just to get the blood going) a few min.
2. Go through your work out 1-2 hours
3. Do the straddle split strech ( hand on the floor to start) for 1 min
4. Do walk your hands to the side (side splits) for 1 min.(both sids)
5. walk your feet together and keep your hands on floor 1 min
6. do 10-20 striat leg kicks pointing toe (you can put a target just above head level and keep rasing it everytime your kick it more than 10 times)
7. go back to the Straddle strech. this time after 30 sec. try to push one foot out two inches. Repeat every 15 sec. till you reach 1 min.
8. do the same with both side streches.
9. Repeat starting with the striat leg kicks.
10 after 2-3 times put your foot up on the back of a chair or strech bar and touch you nose to your knee 30 sec. walk your foot on the ground out leaving you other on the chair. repeat both sides.

I have found if you push your self a little each time and do it for a few weeks you will see a inprovement.
As for speed. When you are practicing you have to think speed. do the kick as fast as you can.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found to improve my kicks I had to strengthen my hip muscles. A good way to improve kicking is slow, sustained kicks. Just having limber muscles hasn't proven to be enough for me.

TW mentioned dynamic stretching and I think that's the best way to actually improve your flexibility, then static stretching maintains flexibility.

Good luck

OP
O

OC Kid

lvwhitebir said:
Huh? Don't know where that comes from. Stretching is the *only* way to increase range of motion. Recent studies have said that it isn't all that useful to prevent injury, although the studies probably were limited to static stretching. Kicking is one of the best ways to increase your kick height and is a form of "dynamic" stretching.

There are tons of books, videos and web pages dedicated to stretching. Look it up and you'll find a lot more information that I could ever go into here. In particular, I like the book "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz and a book by, I think, Anderson which I believe is simply titled "Stretching."

WhiteBirch
I know this is a old thread butttttt
I saw in my rep points that someone didnt understand what I was saying.
I took a Bill Wallace seminar once (1980's) a he said that there were people who could do the complete splits and couldnt kick above theyre knees others could barely open their legs and yet kick above their head. Due to muscle strength or the lack of.

I didnt understand it either as I couldnt kick above my waist yet do almost a complete split.until I started training to fight (kick boxing) and compete on a national level in point fighting. As part of my training I would go to the gym and do step aerobics and lift weights and ride a stationary bike and walk on a tred mill not all in one work out of course but on alternating days but everyday mon-fri I would work on my kicks. fri I would practice kicks with some training partners for almost 2 hours or more straight.
Thats when my kicking started happening. I was throwing side kicks that knocked a guy about 4 feet to the hood of my car and he slid over it. I could throw round house kicks at any height including over my head.

Now as a Instructor I have my students spend a lot of time kicking as part of their warm ups. They are all good kickers now.

I dont do alot of static stretching in my classes I warm up the muscles and have them do the techniques we will be useing in class for stretching such as straight leg kicks front side rear crescent for warm ups.
I hope this answers your question and you can clear up my rep point.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are tons of materials and adivice on stretching. Take the best stuffs you like and try some new ones too. As a rule of thumb anyone can increase their stretching, some will take longer,some will be in small increments. Just "DO IT EVERYDAY" . When you look back? and see the difference? which is good,will motivate you to contiune harder! Best of luck...Aloha

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are soo many schools of thought on developing flexibilty/ its purpose and when it ( stretching )should be done that its been interesting to read a few persectives here.

Firstly, I think general consensus is that stretching will not avoid injury but it certainly minimises your chances and speeds recovery processes.

I've read alot of ppl here say that it's a good idea to stretch before your workout, ( and personally I start stretching before I get out of bed of a morning and continuously throughout the day) and others who swear black and blue that if you stretch before your warm up you will A. cause yourself injury and B. be ineffective in the stretch rom.

I have also heard ppl state on other forums that stretching limits power you can generate in your kick. On these points though, I will say that I have trained with shaolin monks and discples amongst others and if you have ever seen a classic shaolin monk pose with top of foot directly parallel over the crown of their head, then seen them execute some kicks , kind of makes you think they know what they're talking about.

People argue that these shifus etc have no formal body mechanic and human movement study, but proof is in the pudding IMO.

I took to pilates some time back and ever since my flexibilty ( and strength in the stretch rom ) has improved 150%. I attribute alot of my flexibilty regardless of which limb, to spine health and core strength as that's where its all connected and at some point or other becomes the compliment or secondary phase of the antagonistic limb being stretched as does your lower back. I also find pelvic tilts on the floor both before and whilst working spine alignment and joint mobilty helps things fall into place and gives better warmth ( looseness ) to the joints I'm stretching out from. Alot of advice but bare with me , additionally if you can learn to breath down deeply through your lower diaphragm while keeping your navel to the spine ( and lower back plastered to floor as much as poss when on your back ) you'll also improve your stretch. Remember, when you lean in or out of your hip , your spine and core is activated aswell.

on kick speed: In China in most gongfu schools and shops everywhere, there are available feathered shutllecock or feathered coined stacks that they nationally use hacky sack style ( where you throw it in the air and kick from foot to foot front back and side as many times as you can before it hits the ground) for this purpose. great for both speed and co-ordination.

Alot of information for you to consider so good luck with it.

Blooming Lotus

OP
L

lvwhitebir

OC Kid said:
I dont do alot of static stretching in my classes I warm up the muscles and have them do the techniques we will be useing in class for stretching such as straight leg kicks front side rear crescent for warm ups.

I agree with you here. Static stretching should be reserved for the period after you've completed your workout. Dynamic stretching (e.g., straight-leg kicks) should be done before the meat of your workout, after you've warmed up the body a bit. My students do this before every class.

Too many people think stretching is sitting on the floor, but there are different types to consider and some are better than others. Static stretching, in general, only increases static flexibility (e.g., splits). Dynamic stretching, in general, only increases dynamic flexibility (e.g., kicking height). There is a little cross-over too.

Too many people also blame muscle mass on poor flexibility. I've read that the muscles are actually able to be stretched further with more muscle mass. The idea is that your muscles believe they can pull back easier to keep you from overextending, so they develop more leeway. I've seen many pictures of muscle-bound bodybuilders with the flexibility to die for. There are many factors to consider, but I would first blame and correct the stretching process you're following before blaming muscle mass or genetics.

WhiteBirch

OP
O

OC Kid

hey White Birch now that I explained myself can ya help my rep points...:>)

OP
L

lvwhitebir

OC Kid said:
hey White Birch now that I explained myself can ya help my rep points...:>)

Sorry, don't know anything about the rep points. I never changed yours in any way.

WhiteBirch

OP
O

OC Kid

ooopps wrong guy. some guy nailed me on my rep point with a comment I did not appreaciate, no name of course, and when I clicked on it to go to the thread it was your first comment.

Sorry my mistake.