Teacher's Name on Patch: Good or Bad?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
patches?

wee don' need no steenking patches!

really, though, i'm another nope. i dislike patches in general, but then i normally dislike any logos on my clothes, even my own. so don't take me too seriously.

feels like ego, though. to me.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't care for them, that being said our school does use the name of the head instructor in the title. But if I ever do start something and it gets big enough to need a name, I wouldn't put my name in it. Seems like an ego thing.

Lamont

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don`t like too much writing or having many pathces on the gi. Also I prefer the club patch (the only one I will wear) having a symbol rather than any writing. Don`t get me started on purple and yellow gis ugh!

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on how the name is placed on a school patch. If the name is used to distinguish a school from other like schools then it is ok. If the name is used on a patch to "glorify" the school owner, this is wrong.
On my patch I use two small icons with the style name written out. To distinguish my Kenpo school from the other local Kenpo schools I have my initials on the bottom of the patch, (in small letters).

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
i dont like it on the patches that everyone is gonna where.. but i don like the rockers that an instructor will where with their last name.. i also like the idea of having your name embroiderd (SP?) on the back of th GI..

just my .02 cents .lol.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With our organization, each master instructor has their own institute patch to show that they are teaching within the organization as a whole.
I look at it like this: If my name is on the patch (and it is), I'd better be sure I'm teaching the students things they can be proud of. If I'm watching students at a testing, the name on the patch lets me know who to compliment or blame.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't even particularly like wearing patches. Way in the future when I eventually start teaching, I would like students of mine to be recognised by how they fight, rather than what symbol is on their siut.

Latest Discussions