Tattoo Symbolizing Marine Life Causes Vet to Lose His Job

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The good news is that after the story broke, Red Lobster found him a job where he did not have to roll up his sleeves, so no one could see his tattoos.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=99951&catid=35
"I rolled up my sleeves like they asked me to, which is part of their server dress code, and they stopped me and said I don't know if you can work today," said Reed.
Reed was sent home after managers saw a Devil Dog and tag tattoo that stretches partly down his right arm symbolizing his years of service in the Marine Corps.
"It's something that we kind of did together for our Marines that we lost," said Reed.
He was told visible tattoos are not allowed on servers. Restaurant managers never told him that in the hiring process, said Reed, and the policy is not outlined in the employee handbook he received.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So what's the story here? Someone entered a private business and found his personal choices disqualified him for the job. I guess the story is read the employee manual when you take a job or remember that almost irremovable choices you make will have effects far down the road?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what's the story here? Someone entered a private business and found his personal choices disqualified him for the job. I guess the story is read the employee manual when you take a job or remember that almost irremovable choices you make will have effects far down the road?

I think the disappointment came from the fact that the Marine veteran was hired - nobody said anything about visible tattoos. He read the employee manual, and it didn't say anything about visible tattoos. Then he came to his first day of work, was told it was a problem, and was fired. That's kind of crappy behavior on the part of the employer, IMHO.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had an interview once, full beard.
Was hired.
Worked 3 days before they told me I had to shave or lose the job.
The owner didn't like beards. Wasn't mentioned at the interview, or in the manual.
I walked.

The 'no tats below the elbow' policy is common, but should be outlined at the hiring interview, and in the manual.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had an interview once, full beard.
Was hired.
Worked 3 days before they told me I had to shave or lose the job.
The owner didn't like beards. Wasn't mentioned at the interview, or in the manual.
I walked.

The 'no tats below the elbow' policy is common, but should be outlined at the hiring interview, and in the manual.

I agree.

However, the fact corporate stepped in and made arrangements for rehiring should not be overlooked. Good on Red Lobster for rehiring the Marine. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The good news is that after the story broke, Red Lobster found him a job where he did not have to roll up his sleeves, so no one could see his tattoos.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=99951&catid=35

I'm not against tats. I do not have any, but I know many people that do. This, unfortunately, is another case of someone getting a tat, and having it haunt them at a later time.

Going by the article, it sounds as if the restaurant was to blame, for not telling him during the initial interview. Now, is it possible that during the initial interview, he was wearing long sleeves, and nobody saw it, until he got the job, and had to roll up his sleeves. Then again, you'd think that some rules/policies would be explained, and an employee handbook given. If there was nothing about tats in the book, then its not this guys fault.

I'm glad things worked out for him in the end though. At least they were nice enough to find him another job. :)

Latest Discussions