Tan/Bong Gerk Not In Some Lineages

OP
W

WingChunIsNoSport

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ah yes, the same guy who mixes Taiji in with his wing chun and calls it the 1700s wing chun ancestor style. What a wonderful font of truth that has absolutely no self promotion agenda behind it.
I don't know if you're talking about me but I don't do Taiji and ain't never done it, the only exposure I've had is online and old Chinese folks in the park, which I respect.

Me, just some Wrestling, Karate and for some time now my focus only on Wing Chun. Sigung Ip Ching, Sijo Ip Man.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if you're talking about me but I don't do Taiji and ain't never done it, the only exposure I've had is online and old Chinese folks in the park, which I respect.

Me, just some Wrestling, Karate and for some time now my focus only on Wing Chun. Sigung Ip Ching, Sijo Ip Man.
He is referring to Sergio not you.

First form has leg techniques. Very important ones.

You can kick with either front leg or back.

Kick can come from the hip or the knee

You do not chamber all kicks.
You do not have to chamber any kicks.

OP
W

WingChunIsNoSport

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He is referring to Sergio not you.

First form has leg techniques. Very important ones.

You can kick with either front leg or back.

Kick can come from the hip or the knee

You do not chamber all kicks.
You do not have to chamber any kicks.
Oh ok, I see, thanks. If he has issues with Sergio he should holler at him lol. I digress.

I think to kick with both legs really depends on what weight distribution you are taught. Each has advantages/sacrifices. If it's 50/50 on the pivot, and this is your stance, you can. If your weight is on the back leg (which is how our Sifu teaches) you can't because you are rooted on one leg. This is a more defensive posture as it prevents you from leaning forward and keeps you more rooted.

Yeah we are taught not to chamber at all.

I dunno sometimes I do feel like I'm missing out. I suppose you do not have to tan your leg in order the kick check but some of the techniques like to spin your opponent around look dope.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just my pennies.
You mean just your two cents?

Otherwise I am reminded of my high school years when we had a Norwegian exchange student living at our house. In his language, like so many European languages, the vowel sounds for "e" and "i" were approximately the reverse of how we say them in English, but on the other hand the formal, Latin-based terms for human sexual anatomy were spelled the same.

So, when we said we were going to Penney's he laughed hysterically until red in the face. The word "pennies" has never been the same for me since. :D

Now to the topic. We employ terminology borrowed from our hand positions to make the defensive leg movements easy to understand. When defending against a low kick, if you aren't able to foot check, at least you can lift up your lead knee so that your shin guards centerline, deflecting the attack.

We call it wu-gerk. If the force of the attack requires it, we adjust the position to spread the force to the outside with a tan gerk, or roll the knee across to the inside with a bong gerk, create an opening and follow with a kick or step.

Some groups from related lineages use the terms man gerk and jap gerk as well. I just like to keep things simple since I don't speak Cantonese.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah we are taught not to chamber at all.
What do you mean "chamber"? Do you bend your knee (chamber) before your kick out?

When your opponent kick your belly, you raise your leg into a golden rooster stance, and use your lower leg to block that kick, that's exactly the "chamber" motion.

So "chamber" is needed in both offense and defense.

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kung Fu brothers.

I train in Wing Chun, my Sigung is GM Ip Ching. I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on why our lineage does not incorporate the tan or bong gerk in our system? Sifu said some lineages have it but Sigung did not include or teach it and we follow him.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the emphasis of quicklu moving forward instead?

Some schools/lineages, of Wing Chun dont use the same words.
China has a bunch of different ethno-linguistic groups.
It must just be called something else in the dialect the teacher was taught.

If Tan and Bong were not used in the system you were taught...Im not sure if you could call it Wing Chun...because a lot of strategy and form logic espically the first 2 unarmed forms use a lot of transitions from those positions/movements.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some schools/lineages, of Wing Chun dont use the same words.
China has a bunch of different ethno-linguistic groups.
It must just be called something else in the dialect the teacher was taught.

If Tan and Bong were not used in the system you were taught...Im not sure if you could call it Wing Chun...because a lot of strategy and form logic espically the first 2 unarmed forms use a lot of transitions from those positions/movements.
Just going to chime in here...

This post is about Tan Gerk and Bong Gerk, not Tan Sau and Bong Sau hand actions. The Chinese character for Gerk is 腳. In Wing Chun's native language of Cantonese, "Gerk" means to kick.

So for example, Tan Gerk is a kick that creates a similar shape and purpose as a Tan Sau, and it intercepts incoming kicks from an attacker. These kicks are not utilized in all lineages, and are often part of Chi Gerk exercises found in some Wing Chun curriculum.

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just going to chime in here...

This post is about Tan Gerk and Bong Gerk, not Tan Sau and Bong Sau hand actions. The Chinese character for Gerk is 腳. In Wing Chun's native language of Cantonese, "Gerk" means to kick.

So for example, Tan Gerk is a kick that creates a similar shape and purpose as a Tan Sau, and it intercepts incoming kicks from an attacker. These kicks are not utilized in all lineages, and are often part of Chi Gerk exercises found in some Wing Chun curriculum.
Yeah it was late for me when I wrote that and I missed that.

Let me change my answer then.
If you havent been shown the kicks its because your still developing other skills.
Wing Chuns sticky legs are nastiness and do not take them into sport.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it was late for me when I wrote that and I missed that.

Let me change my answer then.
If you havent been shown the kicks its because your still developing other skills.
Wing Chuns sticky legs are nastiness and do not take them into sport.
No worries.

Tan Gerk, Bong Gerk and sticky legs are not in all lineages. So a lot of practitioners will never train those, regardless of skill development. IMO, Wang Gerk and Dang Gerk are examples of much more universal kicking concepts.

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No worries.

Tan Gerk, Bong Gerk and sticky legs are not in all lineages. So a lot of practitioners will never train those, regardless of skill development. IMO, Wang Gerk and Dang Gerk are examples of much more universal kicking concepts.
Oh ok.

You would not be the norm what so ever in my bubble if you said no sticky legs

Like Id just wince and scratch my head at you

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean "chamber"? Do you bend your knee (chamber) before your kick out?

When your opponent kick your belly, you raise your leg into a golden rooster stance, and use your lower leg to block that kick, that's exactly the "chamber" motion.

So "chamber" is needed in both offense and defense.

Hey,

the person might of meant from a sporting perspective.
I think they might have Taekwondo definitions for their leg.
A sport chamber is cocked inwards on a 45

Latest Discussions