Tameshigiri video guide - part VI

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys!,

In this month’s video I am taking a closer look at Nami Gaeshi. The combination consits of three cuts and it is executed on two mats.

While performing the cuts it is important to stop the sword after the first cut and to rotate your hips in order to add more power to the third (horizontal) cut.

As additional footage I added Suemonogiri – free standing target cutting.

As always I am looking for you opinions and critique :)

Regards

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Jarek,
Nicely done video as always!
A couple of critiques for you …

1) When you stop the cut between the targets, your next cut should ideally begin with the kissaki in the same place. Looking at your video, you stop in the correct place, but then you pull back the kissaki to give your next cut more speed for the second cut. That actually defeats the purpose of the cut, which is to learn how to develop proper cutting speed using only your center, without a wind-up. Practice stopping the cut where you did, then starting the next cut with the kissaki at the same location as when you stopped. Much more difficult, but forces you to utilize your center more.

2) I've never been a fan of swinging the sword around to the side as you do. I believe it is far better to keep the sword out in front of your body. This allows for lateral movement in either direction without the danger of loosing a foot.

Nice videos though, keep up the good work and the good practice!

OP
Czlowiekfala

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jarek,
Nicely done video as always!
A couple of critiques for you …

1) When you stop the cut between the targets, your next cut should ideally begin with the kissaki in the same place. Looking at your video, you stop in the correct place, but then you pull back the kissaki to give your next cut more speed for the second cut. That actually defeats the purpose of the cut, which is to learn how to develop proper cutting speed using only your center, without a wind-up. Practice stopping the cut where you did, then starting the next cut with the kissaki at the same location as when you stopped. Much more difficult, but forces you to utilize your center more.

2) I've never been a fan of swinging the sword around to the side as you do. I believe it is far better to keep the sword out in front of your body. This allows for lateral movement in either direction without the danger of loosing a foot.

Nice videos though, keep up the good work and the good practice!

Thanks!

1.) Yes - you are right. Executing the cut from the exact same place where you have stopped your blade would be ideal, however in a situation where the sword is stopped just before the standing base of a mat retracting your sword is necessary. I tend to focus too much on stoping the sword in a correct place and I am winding - up the sword automatically. For sure it something that can be worked on.

2.) I really like kaeshi way of returning the blade to jodan position. On the one hand it can serve as a parry when attacked from the side and on the other hand it gives your body momentum for the next cut.

Thank you for your kind words :) In this year I will publish one more video. I have filmed all the materials, so it is just a matter of finding some time to edit it :)