Tameshigiri guide part II

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi again!

This month’s video is going to be shorter than the previous one but I hope you will find it interesting. Tonbo (The Dragonfly) consists of two quick successive cuts.

The goal of that combination is to cut both ends of the unsupported mat before it falls to the ground. The technique not only requires speed but also precision.

I look forward to your opinions, comments and questions.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nice video!
You can improve that cut by keeping your weight centered. When you cut you are bending at the waist and so using upper body strength to move the sword around rather than using your center and guiding the momentum. It is possible to see the moment that you disengaged your center at the very beginning in the slow motion portion. You approach the target, then you lift the sword and disconnect before cutting. This causes you to expend a lot more effort to make the cut, making the actual cutting motion much slower.

For comparison, here is a video that Sang Kim made several years back. It is harder to see because there is no slow motion, but his cut starts immediately going forward, although he is using a reverse hasso.

Also, you really need to work on slowing everything but the cut itself down. :)

The video is nicely done though!

Cheers,

OP
Czlowiekfala

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for great feedback.

Yes you are right - I am leaning forward too much, however the target is set quite low - so lower stance is quite helpful.

As for lifting the sword before the cut - regrettably that is a habit of mine that I am currently working to get rid off or at least lessen to some degree.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sang Kim's economy of motion is impressive. A very sharp ha probably helps. Cz..., winding up before the cut, or hand strike for our karate brothers, is a common problem. I see it more of a mental/spiritual issue than a physical one. Taking a cue from Kyudo archery, where the arrow looses itself, try not to think of manually commanding the sword (that's what causes the wind up because you get preoccupied with the technique), but visualize the sword (or fist) leaping out on its own accord like an arrow. It might help cut out excess motion and improve the speed of the cut.​

OP
Czlowiekfala

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sang Kim's economy of motion is impressive. A very sharp ha probably helps. Cz..., winding up before the cut, or hand strike for our karate brothers, is a common problem. I see it more of a mental/spiritual issue than a physical one. Taking a cue from Kyudo archery, where the arrow looses itself, try not to think of manually commanding the sword (that's what causes the wind up because you get preoccupied with the technique), but visualize the sword (or fist) leaping out on its own accord like an arrow. It might help cut out excess motion and improve the speed of the cut.​

Definetly I need to the decrease the "wind up" period. As for my state of mind - shortly before the cut and while cutting I am not thinking much - if at all. I mostly focus on the moment and try to feel the sword. It's hard to describe.

Thanks for the advice - I know that visualisation is a quite good method in Karate when you imagine that you are attacked and then perform block. It might work for swordsmanship as well.