Take down blogs or get suspended

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the order a Catholic school principal has given

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051024/NEWS03/510240319/1007

What right the school has to tell students what they can and can't do at home is beyond me.

in addition " it does prohibit students from posting anything on the Internet pertaining to the school, without the school's permission."

So, I'm thinking the free speech is the real reason, not the protection one they are giving...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kids don't have free speech rights. I was told that repeatedly as a kid.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. The schools system has no right to tell what a kid may or may not do outside of school, that is the job of the parents. At least that is what I always thought!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this quote "One student, who identified himself as a senior who was expelled, wrote that "pope john kicks you out once you think freely.""

Yup. Who wants free thinking in todays society? This happens alot more often them people think. The arguement about the kids safety is nice, guarenteed to get some sympathy, but its simple censorship. I've got no problem with schools telling kids to dress conservatively, leave their gameboys, ipods and ak47's at home, but I do have a problem with them telling anyone what they can do on their own time.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I found this quote "One student, who identified himself as a senior who was expelled, wrote that "pope john kicks you out once you think freely.""

Yup. Who wants free thinking in todays society? This happens alot more often them people think. The arguement about the kids safety is nice, guarenteed to get some sympathy, but its simple censorship. I've got no problem with schools telling kids to dress conservatively, leave their gameboys, ipods and ak47's at home, but I do have a problem with them telling anyone what they can do on their own time.

Sounds like they did him a favour. He's better off away from such a stiffling environment (not speaking of religion but the school administration). I think this policy does more to UNDERMINE their authority than bolster it.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do not confuse state mandated public schools with private parochial schools. Students do not have a 'right' to attend a private school. The 'private' school can impose any rule it sees fit.

Through careful observation over the last several years, an argument can be cogently made that students interactive communication via web logs, instant messenger systems, and other new technologies has increased behaviors deemed undesireable within the community.

If the parents wish to continue to their childs participation within the private school, it would be in their interest to follow the dictates of school.

Elsewise, there is a public school where this type of rule would not be tolerated.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a private school. They can pretty much do what they want.

It's distatseful, perhaps, but--they make their choices by attending that school.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Private schools are superior in their education quality because of their mind control tactics. If they cannot control the slightest thing, disorder will rule and the church will fall.

Freedom of thought is discouraged. In private school, we were taught how to think, how to feel and free thinkers were usually persecuted in some fashion - ostracized, teased (even by staff), infractions upon them by other students was tolerated, etcetera. And this was during a free-thinking period in our history. Now with right wing Christianity abounding and prolific I imagine little has changed.

Think about it - if they can tell you what to wear every day, they can sure tell you what you can and can't write and where.

BTW - a minor has no legal rights in this country unless they are emancipated. That's my understanding, anyway. Lawyers?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, this is the kind of thing that drives people away from the catholic church. People who feel like when they were young they were kicked around and controlled and told what to do in ways that were outside reason, distance themselves from the church when they become adults. And then the church claims that there is a crisis of faith. I think the only real crisis of faith is our faith in the leadership of the church. As a private school they may be able to exert such controls, but there are other long term ramifications involved that they refuse to consider. At least this has been my experience as a recovering ex-catholic.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Dog no! this kind of damage takes at least 18 steps to correct
Uhhhh ... at least 1,000 dude.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah ... I still twitch when I see a ruler ....

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Freedom of thought is discouraged. In private school, we were taught how to think, how to feel and free thinkers were usually persecuted in some fashion - ostracized, teased (even by staff), infractions upon them by other students was tolerated, etcetera. And this was during a free-thinking period in our history. Now with right wing Christianity abounding and prolific I imagine little has changed.

It is no wonder the Dark-ages happened.

shesulsa said:
BTW - a minor has no legal rights in this country unless they are emancipated. That's my understanding, anyway. Lawyers?

I understood it that way too, until the age of 18 anyway.

BTW, I do agree, the private school can pretty much do what they want. if people don't like it they can always spend their money elsewhere.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i go to a private religious college, the rules suck but the education is really good. I have cerfews, dorm rules, religious credit, chapple and church every week, i am only suposed ot spend so much time wiht my bf and i am certainly not allowed to be alone with him (go ahead ask me if i follow that rule!) i have to fill out a leave request if i want to go home and home is really the only place im allowed to sleep other then in the girls dorm. You either get used to the rules or find ways to break them and not get caught...iv found its easer to break them then to follow them

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
You either get used to the rules or find ways to break them and not get caught...iv found its easer to break them then to follow them

And cue the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition style entry of the school officials ;)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
You either get used to the rules or find ways to break them and not get caught...iv found its easer to break them then to follow them
Or just don't go...