Taiji in Kickboxing

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know this sounds a bit unorthadox, however I've been considering entering an amateur kickboxing tournament next year, using Taiji Quan as my martial art.

My teacher does Cheng Dsu Yao's version of Tai Chi Quan (Yang Style). He knows Qi Gong form, Application form, Pushing hands (Including freestyle), weapon forms (Sabre, Longsword, Fan, Stick, etc..), etc... He doesn't claim to be a master (On the contrary), but he is a good teacher. He even shows us the reason for the steps during Qi Gong so that we can have a better understanding.

Anyhow, what are your opinions? Would Taiji work in a kickboxing tournament?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Understand that a kickboxing tournament like K-1 or a Muay Thai event is a sports competition with certain things that are designed for specific type of engagement.
First we have to throw out Qin na. Then next we have to throw out any shuai jiao. We most likely couldn't use our shoulders, hips or other parts to uproot someone to send him to the floor. So we are left with are punches and kicks.

There does exist Taiji san shou and sanda and Chen style is very good at this. I guess in theory you can use Taijiquan theory such as sticking,listening, following, but the idea of entering a kickboxing match like K-1 or Muay Thai just limits a Taijiquan players ability to fight and gives the Muay Thai or other competition fighters the advantage.

If you are serious about entering a ring match you will need to start practicing Sanda and San Shou and in my opinion the Taijiquan Sanda and San Shou looks like kickboxing and wrestling with Taijiquan concepts in it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In theory, you should be able to apply the techniques and principles of your art in a full contact/kickboxing environment, limiting to techniques that are within the rules.

OK... That's theory. Practice can be very different -- or we'd still see people showing some actual style in the tournament rings, instead of everybody looking pretty much the same.

I suggest you begin by buying a pair of gloves and set of wraps, and learning how they change your movement. Have you actually faced full speed punches in your training, or just push hands? I would discourage you from letting the first time that happens be in the ring... :) Start figuring out now how to adapt and apply your principles in the ring, within the rule set, and with the equipment on. Start with classmates, then find a gym that has some open mat/open sparring that'll let you try, and try it there. I'd love to see you give it a shot... I'm so tired of all the tournament fighting looking the same.

OP
F

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Those are good points... I did think about that because from my experience, Tai Chi has applied throwing, dropping, tripping, etc... of the opponents.(Illegal moves in Kickboxing) But, from the tournament I'm entering, they do allow pushing, shoving, etc... I'm not sure if using our elbows is allowed, because I've seen elbow strikes applied in Tai Chi. But you are correct, it would be hard to use in competition form.

From watching the matches, the competition is very aggressive. However, I saw so much aggression that there was a huge lack of defense. I don't think I saw one parry, I saw some blocking and lots of holding while attacking. Anyhow, I have no idea if my teacher knows any Sanda or San Shou. He primarily learned Tai Chi Quan (He did learn some Bagua as well).

Anyhow, I guess I could borrow some other styles. One guy that does Tai Chi with us (He des Karate ad is an actual master. But he does Tai Chi short form, 24 and is learning Long form with us). Another guy, who's not a master but learned under a person that recently turned into a master (Sifu Redman) knows some Wing Chun and trained with it for a while. Still, I feel like it'd be awkward taking these arts when I really just want to train in Tai Chi Quan.

@jks9199

I actually have a pair of gloves and wraps as well. I have not, not yet anyhow. Believe it or not, in freestyle push hands, punches can be applied. We even use our legs to lock other's legs and such. We push as well and sometimes go fast with our motions (Mostly in freestyle). And I agree with you. At the tournament I watch and plan to participate in next year, it as a lot of the same stuff.

They rushed in with punches, not even drawing back any of them or putting force into them. Just rushing in and punching a lot. Some low kicks, spinning high kicks (once in a while) and just lots of punching. Then when someone is holding, they'd start throwing force into their punches and kicks. It was a lot of the same stuff.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are good points... I did think about that because from my experience, Tai Chi has applied throwing, dropping, tripping, etc... of the opponents.(Illegal moves in Kickboxing) But, from the tournament I'm entering, they do allow pushing, shoving, etc... I'm not sure if using our elbows is allowed, because I've seen elbow strikes applied in Tai Chi. But you are correct, it would be hard to use in competition form.

From watching the matches, the competition is very aggressive. However, I saw so much aggression that there was a huge lack of defense. I don't think I saw one parry, I saw some blocking and lots of holding while attacking. Anyhow, I have no idea if my teacher knows any Sanda or San Shou. He primarily learned Tai Chi Quan (He did learn some Bagua as well).

Anyhow, I guess I could borrow some other styles. One guy that does Tai Chi with us (He des Karate ad is an actual master. But he does Tai Chi short form, 24 and is learning Long form with us). Another guy, who's not a master but learned under a person that recently turned into a master (Sifu Redman) knows some Wing Chun and trained with it for a while. Still, I feel like it'd be awkward taking these arts when I really just want to train in Tai Chi Quan.

@jks9199

I actually have a pair of gloves and wraps as well. I have not, not yet anyhow. Believe it or not, in freestyle push hands, punches can be applied. We even use our legs to lock other's legs and such. We push as well and sometimes go fast with our motions (Mostly in freestyle). And I agree with you. At the tournament I watch and plan to participate in next year, it as a lot of the same stuff.

They rushed in with punches, not even drawing back any of them or putting force into them. Just rushing in and punching a lot. Some low kicks, spinning high kicks (once in a while) and just lots of punching. Then when someone is holding, they'd start throwing force into their punches and kicks. It was a lot of the same stuff.

Don't try to "borrow" from other styles; figure out how you can use your own style effectively, under those circumstances. It's not totally dissimilar, for example, from being in heavy mittens or gloves. Not exactly the same, either -- but the point is that you want to be able to make your style work for you, not try to cram a few pieces of other stuff in.

What you saw is often fairly typical of amateur kickboxing, especially in novice fighters. My understanding of tai chi is that it's based on evasion, deflection, and counter-attacking. Figure out how to make that work, in the ring. Again -- wear the gloves and wraps and do some push hands. See how things change... Have someone attack you with thigh kicks, and figure out how to counter them, too. Sounds like you've got some folks in your class that might be able to help you prepare.

Don't neglect conditioning! That's one of the biggest failings I see in novice fighters: they aren't in shape to fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you suggest lighting speed training, you will upset many Taiji guys who strongly believe in slow speed training. They believe to train slow, they can be fast someday which will never happen. Without lighting speed training, Taiji will be useless in combat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you suggest lighting speed training, you will upset many Taiji guys who strongly believe in slow speed training. They believe to train slow, they can be fast someday which will never happen. Without lighting speed training, Taiji will be useless in combat.

I'm guessing you never heard of fast forms have ya ;)

OP
F

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@KungFuWang

When you do something at a slow speed, it becomes natural to you. The idea in Tai Chi is not only to move slow, but to be relaxed while doing it. That's what comes over time and after a while, it becomes so natural to you that you can do it naturally without thinking about it. But Tai Chi isn't always slow, trust me. As Xue Shang said, there are fast forms of Tai Chi Quan.

One thing I will mention is, when I Silk Reel, I do so slowly. One day, my teacher come up to me and throw a punch. Then, he threw another. Then he kept speeding up his punches and I kept diverting them and he said "GOOD! That's the idea. Don't think. Just do it!" I did it fast because it was natural to me and felt easy.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Chen taijiquan usually you start off with laojia yi Lu to build the body
and basics. The second routine er Lu or pao chui is the more
Martial, faster. When learning tuishou you have to go slow at
First to be able to listen and feel your opponent this could take years.
Afterr you can go into 2 man drill sets and then San shou free style.
There is a reason everything in steps in taijiquan, trying to
Speed or skip steps in my opinion hinders your understanding at least
At a deeper level of taijiquan.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you do something at a slow speed, it becomes natural to you.
You are talking about single move development. In combat, single move usually won't work that well. You will need combo. To develop combo is different from to develop single move.

Here is a simple test. Try to deliever 3 XingYi Beng Chuan right, left, right with 3 forward steps and see if you can finish all 3 punches within 1 second. Onething that you will find out is you have to modify your Santi stance. How will you modify it? To be able to do in slow speed doesn't mean that you can do in fast speed.

In combat, your footwork should move very fast. You just can't develop that kind of fast footwork in slow speed training.

If you watch this clip in slow motion, you will find out the heel of his back foot are not touching the ground. You will also find out that his back foot are sliding. When you train your solo move in slow speed, you won't pay attention on such modification. Those modification are important in combat when speed is critical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_5flVU6iE&feature=relmfu

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm guessing you never heard of fast forms have ya ;)
I have not seen one yet. The Chang Taiji is the fastest Taiji that I have seen. Each move is either 1 inhale or one exhale. I have not seen any Taiji form that people move so fast that their hands are just like blur.

What's "fast"? When you feel that your eye balls are going to fly out of your eye sockes, that's "fast".

trying toSpeed or skip steps in my opinion hinders your understanding at least
At a deeper level of taijiquan.
What's the value for understanding the deeper level of taijiquan if one still can't fight with it? There are other pathes that can help one to get his combat ability faster than the Taiji path.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you have already reached a deep level of Taijiquan you know how to be combat effective.
You can not run(combat application) if you do not learn how to walk(tuishou). You can not walk(forms,basics) if you do not learn how to stand.

There are many paths that is true you can learn boxing, first week you will learn more how to fight then a year of Taijiquan. But Taijiquan in that year will lead to a lot more benefits then learning how to fight. So it depends on what you are after and how much time you want to invest in something. If you want things fast and do not have patience then internal arts will yield results only after time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have not seen one yet. The Chang Taiji is the fastest Taiji that I have seen. Each move is either 1 inhale or one exhale. I have not seen any Taiji form that people move so fast that their hands are just like blur.

What's "fast"? When you feel that your eye balls are going to fly out of your eye sockes, that's "fast".

There are fast forms, 2 actually in my flavor of yang style, lots of qinna too.

As for what is fast, that I can't answer that and when you feel that your eye balls are going to fly out of your eye sockets. it may be fast, but it is not in control......

But you are already convinced that taiji is useless....and I'm ok with that....have a nice day

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are talking about single move development. In combat, single move usually won't work that well. You will need combo. To develop combo is different from to develop single move.

Here is a simple test. Try to deliever 3 XingYi Beng Chuan right, left, right with 3 forward steps and see if you can finish all 3 punches within 1 second. Onething that you will find out is you have to modify your Santi stance. How will you modify it? To be able to do in slow speed doesn't mean that you can do in fast speed.

In combat, your footwork should move very fast. You just can't develop that kind of fast footwork in slow speed training.

If you watch this clip in slow motion, you will find out the heel of his back foot are not touching the ground. You will also find out that his back foot are sliding. When you train your solo move in slow speed, you won't pay attention on such modification. Those modification are important in combat when speed is critical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_5flVU6iE&feature=relmfu
I hope you're not equating those videos to Xingyi stepping, since they aren't Xingyi. But based on the points you've made on your posts here, I think you've missed the point anyway. Confusing speed for good timing and fast movement for quality movement is a fundamental error.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you've missed the point anyway. Confusing speed for good timing and fast movement for quality movement is a fundamental error.

This thread is about "Taiji in kickboxing - using Taiji in kickboxing tournament". Kickboxing is not to perform single punch or single kick. It's to throw fast kicks, punches combination such as a front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick, jab, cross, hook, hook, ... Since your opponent is a fast moving object, the only way that you can hit him is by using your fast footwork along with fast kick punch combo. No matter how fast your "single" punch may be, you will need more than single punch to be able to hit your opponent. In order to be able to integrate Taiji into kickboxing, you have to look at the combo level and not just the single move level.

If you train Taiji "brush knee", followed by "cloud hand", followed by "step back repluse monkey" in combat speed, you will find out that you may be able to integrate Taiji into kickboxing someday (assume that you do care about using Taiji in kickboxing tournament).

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you train Taiji "brush knee", followed by "cloud hand", followed by "step back repluse monkey" in combat speed, you will find out that you may be able to integrate Taiji into kickboxing someday (assume that you do care about using Taiji in kickboxing tournament).

So you are saying you are supposed to follow the form sequence in application...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you are saying you are supposed to follow the form sequence in application...
No! In kickboxing/Sanshou, you should always have combo (use move 1 to set up move 2, use move 2 to set up ...) and not single move in mind.

Here is an example.

OP
F

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi isn't about single movements.

There's a old phrase that all of us have probably heard a million times. "You must be fluid, like water."

Yeah, I know, a little corny. But that is the principle of Tai Chi Quan. You must be fluid, relaxed, adaptable. Ready for anything. Tai Chi is just that. It isn't "Alright, I'm gonna come in with this and it will hit!" We NEVER have that mindset. We live in the middle. We do it and if it doesn't work, we do something else to adapt to the new situation. We don't just punch and back off. We move in with something else and take advantage of our opponent's movements. We go with the flow of things and not worry about the past or future of things, but the now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No! In kickboxing/Sanshou, you should always have combo (use move 1 to set up move 2, use move 2 to set up ...) and not single move in mind.

Here is an example.

I know about Sanshou, trained it a bit, there is a damn good sanhou school near me I would love to train at but I am now to old to train sanshou these days

To be honest if you train taiji like sanshou you end up with sanshou not taiji. I personally do not think taiji would do well in a sanshou ring since it tends to be reactive and combinations flow based on what is coming at you and wearing gloves would impede that since what is coming at you may constitute qinna and since, if done well, and it rarely is, things become automatic. I also do not think what William CC Chen taught Max and Tiffany Chen is taiji either but they did do rather well in sanshou and thier dad says he only taught them taiji (modified Chen Manching taijiquan which is modified yang taijiquan).

You do not train taiji, xingyi, bagua, JKD, wing chun, Changquan, tongbei, or Baji with a sanshou match in mind if you do you are training sanshou. Example of what I am talking about, years ago I was invited to spar at a TKD school and when I got there I was told all the rules I had to follow and where I could and could not strike. I then said thank you no. The teacher could not understand why so I told him you have invited me here to spar but you are telling me I have to spar with TKD, which I do not train, not the Changquan I do train or any other style of CMA I had trained qinna is out as are head strikes or any other strike outside of the box you have shown me, hell I could not even use the Jiujutsu I knew.

Basically just because it does not work in a sanshou ring does not mean it does not work. It just means it does not work on a sanshou ring. Police/military sanshou won’t work in a sanshou ring either but I guarantee you it is damn effective

Latest Discussions