Tai chi = Wushu?

OP
S

SwishSwish

White Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't matter anymore, the tai chi courses has canceled.

I wanted the martial art to be practical and have internal devlopment and not just external. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It doesn't matter anymore, the tai chi courses has canceled.

I wanted the martial art to be practical and have internal devlopment and not just external. :p

Just about all traditional CMA styles work on the internal to varying degrees. Taiji, Bagua, Xingyi, Liuhebafa and Yiquan are internal CMA styles. However, IMO, there is a lot of internal work in a style like Wing Chun as well. Also White Crane is sometimes called Internal/External.

At the other end of the spectrum you get traditional styles like Changquan that have much less internal work but they do have some.

You will get no internal work in contemporary Wushu by the way and none in sports Sanda as well.

Here is a link to look at to give you an overview of Chinese Martial Arts.

But a Japenese Art like Aikido also has internal training and IMO so does Jujutsu and Judo

List of martial arts

BruceLeeFans

White Belt
Reaction score
I think so Tai chi is kind of wu shu as well. People tends to thing kung fu equals to Bruce Lee style of fighting but wu shu got a lot of styles and tribes. Some use knuckles, some use swords or knife, some use a bambo stick... some use strong movement, tai chi is a bit of opposite, soft movment.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think so Tai chi is kind of wu shu as well. People tends to thing kung fu equals to Bruce Lee style of fighting but wu shu got a lot of styles and tribes. Some use knuckles, some use swords or knife, some use a bambo stick... some use strong movement, tai chi is a bit of opposite, soft movment.

Wushu is the Pinyin representation of the Mandarin word that is the actual term used in China for all Martial Arts.

Kung Fu is hard work and was mistakenly used by the west to categorize Chinese Martial Arts

To train Wushu takes Kung Fu

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From the readings I have done, Kunf Fu literally means Energy and time. Basically what you guys are saying , just a different way of saying it. It takes Time and Energy to have Kung Fu in anything. Whether its cooking, target shooting, football, playing a musical instrument etc......

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From the readings I have done, Kunf Fu literally means Energy and time. Basically what you guys are saying , just a different way of saying it. It takes Time and Energy to have Kung Fu in anything. Whether its cooking, target shooting, football, playing a musical instrument etc......

Yup, it is a process

功夫 – Kung Fu

功 (gōng) means achievement or merit, and 夫 (fū) translates as man
In combination the most literal translation is achievement through great effort. Chinese characters in combination do not necessarily mean the same exact thing as they do separately.

Basically not just training wushu but the process of training wushu and all that involves

Zhongguo wushu 中國武術, literally China Martial Arts

My Sanda sifu and Taiji sifu (both from China) translate it simply as hard work but it does have a somewhat deeper meaning

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have also been told that it can mean Learn to Eat Bitter. Meaning that it is going to take alot of , hmmm , Time and Energy, and test your endurance of will, and it will be a long tough road , thus the bitter , but we all know that you have to eat the bitter to get to the sweet.

Latest Discussions