taguks

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im working on learning taguk 2 does anyone else have ot learn them ...to me they make very llittle sence ...like there is no order to the movements anyways i am just wondering who else learnd or teaches them

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The World

or to be more precise the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) if you are an olympic stylist more than likely you will be studying these forms. You may also have to study the Palgue forms. Master's choice. In general the Tae Guek forms are pretty simple because they are sysmetrical and short. Just keep practicing you'll get it.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just did the kibbon forms, so I will be moving up to the Taegeuk forms next week.

I found a book to help me with the forms.

"Modern Taekwondo: the official training manual" ISBN: 0-8069-3989-3

It has 2 kibbon, 8 Taegeuk, 8 Palgwe, and 9 black belt forms. Their are pictures and good descriptions of the movements. It really helped me with the foot movements.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taeguek 2 has short and long stances combined, also alot of different blocks and front kicks. Each form teaches a level up. Just go slowly and learn the details. I found the hardest part of Taeguek 2 was holding the kick a couple of seconds at belt level at the end. But that was then...

A caution of the books.... learn the details from the master or instructor and just use the book if you forget. The purpose of learning something slowly is to learn it well before progressing. Don't get ahead via the book because you may have to unlearn bad habits. There are some details that are wrong I have found, and I have had to correct them by notation, simple things like right and left and pictures not matching up sometimes. So, it is better to learn from the master or whoever is teaching you first. TW

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the patter is easy enough its the stance and high and low punches that are thowing me it changes every other time i think

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are no low punches. It is a down block which ends up 4-6 inches from your knee to protect it. The punches are all thrown at regular shoulder level.

The stances are walking stance then long forward stance. Then there are inside blocks going forward. On the second time around, if you know what I mean, the stances are the same with the front kick at the end. The high blocks are like an L shape with your arm at head level 4-6 inches away to protect your head.

Then your turn and do the last set of inside blocks with punches and the last three kicks and punches at regular level. But there are alot of details in there. Go slowly and make sure you are learning everything correctly.
Remember its about the journey, go slowly and enjoy it.
TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
From the Kuk-Ki-Won try these selections:

Book: Kuk-Ki-Won taekwondo textbook : http://www.turtlepress.com/
DVD: WTF Standard Taekwondo Poomsae : http://www.Goldentiger.com/Public/

or web info try USTU.com and those links which will send you to the Kuk-Ki-Won

Have fun studying!!
Good luck with your learning! I agree with TX BB that the Kukkiwon Textbook is a wonderful resource. Be sure to get the companion videos!

Taeguek 2 requires you to demonstrate your knowledge of several different stances, blocks, and punches (only high section punches in the Taeguek series are in #2).

Train hard!

Miles

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
only high punches?!?!?...my instructor has the first punch to the left mid and then the first one to the right mid and the rest high...ugh im so confused ill have to ask to make sure i got it right ...testing was cool learning new stuff not so cool

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
High punches are over your shoulder level. There are no high punches as such. They are at your shoulder level but it may be considered a mid section punch to larger guy. The punches are the same for all in Taeguek 2. But there are high BLOCKS as I described earlier. I haven't seen the Kukkiwon book but it may be good for you to refer to. TW

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what i under stand from the my inst. its not what a book says its what the guy in illinois says Master Kim i think, i should be back in class on monday and ill hopefully get it figured out im gonna be ticked if iv been practicing wrong

also at my school high is to the filtrum (sp) and mid is to the solerplex(sp) anyways i dont know i give up i dont have the money to buy any books i just gotta go by what my inst. says and seeing as they are testing me it might be wise :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chet said:
Tae Geuk Ee Jang has 2 mid-section punches, 2nd and 4th poom, and 2 high-section punches, 8th and 10 poom. Pictures and video are available on the Kukkiwon's home page at http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/main.asp or specifically at http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/tkskill/pomsae_index.asp?div=3

Hope this helps. :)

Chet
The demonstrator in the video is Grandmaster Lee, Chong Kwan, 8th dan, who teaches Basic Motions and Poomsae at the Kukkiwon. With all due respect to Master Kim in IL, Grandmaster Lee is the "teacher of teachers."

Miles

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah, but hes not the guy whos testing me :) ill get it figured out by tuesday cus i know we will for sure work on it in orange belt class (tue)and possible monday if i ask for help

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
yeah, but hes not the guy whos testing me :) ill get it figured out by tuesday cus i know we will for sure work on it in orange belt class (tue)and possible monday if i ask for help
:) Point taken!

The Kukkiwon wants to have basic motions and poomsae standardized throughout the world. There are many who learned ways of doing techniques/poomsae many years ago and some changes have been introduced as TKD evolved (and continues to do so).

Good luck!

Miles

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
The World

or to be more precise the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) if you are an olympic stylist more than likely you will be studying these forms. You may also have to study the Palgue forms. Master's choice. In general the Tae Guek forms are pretty simple because they are sysmetrical and short. Just keep practicing you'll get it.

IMHO, I think that the norm here in the States is that the WTF TKD dojangs teach the Tae Guek poose 1st. In my dojang, we learn the Tae Guek's first, and when we hit BLACK, we are introduced to the Pal Gwes. BTW, I like the Pal Gwes a little better. They're more challenging. Poomse practice is the best for me. If you do it right, and go all out it kicks... :asian:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
IMHO, I think that the norm here in the States is that the WTF TKD dojangs teach the Tae Guek poose 1st. In my dojang, we learn the Tae Guek's first, and when we hit BLACK, we are introduced to the Pal Gwes. BTW, I like the Pal Gwes a little better. They're more challenging. Poomse practice is the best for me. If you do it right, and go all out it kicks... :asian:
Yes, for some reason, the Palgwe series is still practiced sporadically in the United States. After the introduction of the Taeguek series, the Palgwe series became supplemental material. Now, they are not even supplemental. They have much more of a karate-do feel to them than do the Taeguek series.

Miles

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
Yes, for some reason, the Palgwe series is still practiced sporadically in the United States. After the introduction of the Taeguek series, the Palgwe series became supplemental material. Now, they are not even supplemental. They have much more of a karate-do feel to them than do the Taeguek series.

Miles
Yup. Point well taken... :asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Miles said:

That's probably because the Palgwe series is a reworking of the older Pyong-an/Pinan series that was brought to Korea from the old Kwan founders who studied Karate in Japan. Mostly the same techniques and movements, but broken apart a bit more and spread across 8 forms instead of 5.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to phase out the Palgwe's. There's a lot of practical applications that can be pulled out them. (Doesn't affect me though, since I'm not WTF-trained. :D)

Latest Discussions