MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tae Kwon do:
Korean

Sort of. With strong Japanese roots.

Poomsae/Taeguk

Not necessarily. I'm familiar with a half dozen different sets of poomsae used in different TKD systems. It's a mistake to assume that your experience of a single school is indicative of TKD as a whole.

Sparring focuses on landing kicks

Only if you're in a school that focuses on the sport of TKD. Places that teach the entire art focus on kicking and punching and sweeping and throwing and...

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have kicks in our kata so all karate doesn't focus on hand techniques. Our second kata onwards has kicks in it. The TKD equivalent has many hand techniques if you are going to regard kata as the sole component to judge a style by which of course it's not, many styles don't use kata at all.
My style has kicks in its katas too but like I said before the vast majority of the techniques used in the katas are hand techniques, at most a kata has only 25% kicks. And I never said karate doesn't use kicks what I said is that it emphasizes hand techniques more or at least the style I train in does with the katas and while katas might not play a big role or any role at all in some styles they do play a big role in my main style. So in my style while katas aren't the sole component to it, they're a very big and important component.

I have actually graded in TKD, not a high grade but I train with a friend of mine every so often just for fun and of course he's an invaluable source of information if I need to know anything about TKD. I spar with his students, they use as many hand techniques as I do, I use as many kicks ( if not more actually my style has a wide repertoire of kicks) as they do.
So have I. I did TKD for about two years and got a few belts and I've also got friends who've done it for a really long time. From my experience TKD is primarily a kicking art and they also place an emphasis on high kicking. That's not to say TKD doesn't use hand techniques and there are TKD schools that do incorporate hand strikes from different styles into the material but TKD mostly emphasizes kicks at least where I did it they do. Maybe your experiences are different and every school does stuff differently but these are my experiences.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there has been a lot of blending of arts, or things being taught at a lower level than in previous years.

My experience in TKD goes back 50 years. Back then we used to believe TKD preferred kicks. We justified that by saying our legs were longer than our arms. For most people, legs longer than arms is true. Of course, there are other things that make a difference. We learned from those of our school who participated in local tournaments, that the Japanese focused more on hand techniques, and when they got in closer, our TKD was at a disadvantage. Of course, the most we know about Karate was probably from some word-of-mouth, or Black Belt magazine. ;-)

EDIT: It doesn't relate to this thread so much, but some, that Korean martial arts have change over the years. I studied a little bit of Mu Duk Kwon, under a 2nd degree BB. We learned forms, but also multiple attacker defense techniques. I would have loved to follow up on that. But when I was in Korea the second time, I couldn't find any MDK.

Tang Su Do was separate from TKD as well. It had some interesting drills where two students would go through the same set of attacks and defences, as mirror images of each other. Interesting to watch them move in their distinct slow motion drills.

I don't know much of the attempt by TKD to take over all Korean MA, but I understand that TSD and Hapkido were the only ones who continued to resist. I think TSD has now also aligned itself more with TKD

Just for what it may be worth, and others may feel free to agree or disagree.

Last edited:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

This is a quick reminder, that posts are to be made in English, with a reasonable level of clarity. Posting in "Leetspeak" (or various forms of gibberish), is not permitted.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TKD mostly emphasizes kicks at least where I did it they do.

Yep where you do but that doesn't mean worldwide everyone does.

Maybe your experiences are different and every school does stuff differently but these are my experiences.

Rather than posting up as a fact that karate is hand focussed and TKD is foot focus why not just say, that where you went it was like that? Why make statements as if they were true when in fact it's just in your experience and opinion, not actually a fact. Saying that it's your experience is fine, it's informative, making false statements isn't.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there has been a lot of blending of arts, or things being taught at a lower level than in previous years.

My experience in TKD goes back 50 years. Back then we used to believe TKD preferred kicks. We justified that by saying our legs were longer than our arms. For most people, legs longer than arms is true. Of course, there are other things that make a difference. We learned from those of our school who participated in local tournaments, that the Japanese focused more on hand techniques, and when they got in closer, our TKD was at a disadvantage. Of course, the most we know about Karate was probably from some word-of-mouth, or Black Belt magazine. ;-)

EDIT: It doesn't relate to this thread so much, but some, that Korean martial arts have change over the years. I studied a little bit of Mu Duk Kwon, under a 2nd degree BB. We learned forms, but also multiple attacker defense techniques. I would have loved to follow up on that. But when I was in Korea the second time, I couldn't find any MDK.

Tang Su Do was separate from TKD as well. It had some interesting drills where two students would go through the same set of attacks and defences, as mirror images of each other. Interesting to watch them move in their distinct slow motion drills.

I don't know much of the attempt by TKD to take over all Korean MA, but I understand that TSD and Hapkido were the only ones who continued to resist. I think TSD has now also aligned itself more with TKD

Just for what it may be worth, and others may feel free to agree or disagree.

How about Tae Kyon? It's an art similar to TKD although they use more low kicks supposedly. There are some other subtle differences as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about Tae Kyon? It's an art similar to TKD although they use more low kicks supposedly. There are some other subtle differences as well.

Taekkyon was a game. There is no real reason to believe that we have real understanding of the subtleties of that game.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never seen a person with their arms longer than their legs.

7507466010_de0b20eca9_b.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen a person with their arms longer than their legs.

It happens, but it's certainly not normal. There are all sorts of odd deformities that crop up periodically.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why make statements as if they were true when in fact it's just in your experience and opinion, not actually a fact. Saying that it's your experience is fine, it's informative, making false statements isn't.

So what you're saying is that claims I make, that I shouldn't state them as being the truth I should state them as being my take on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that claims I make, that I shouldn't state them as being the truth I should state them as being my take on it.

Exactly right. I've only done a small amount of Judo so I would say that in my experience Judo can be hard to learn if you are older because of the break falls which younger people seem to find easier to learn. I wouldn't state that 'Judo is hard to learn because of the break falls' because I don't know whether it is or not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Depends. There are things that are facts. These can be stated as facts.
Smoking crack is bad for you.
There is no reason to state that as an opinion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends. There are things that are facts. These can be stated as facts.
Smoking crack is bad for you.
There is no reason to state that as an opinion.

If anyone posts up 'but someone told me that it is good for you' you'll be sorry lol. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone posts up 'but someone told me that it is good for you' you'll be sorry lol. :)

Not nearly as sorry as anyone foolish enough to believe such rubbish will be...

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Straying from crack back to the original post...

As someone from a "TKD" lineage, let me just say that we do Japanese kata with very few kicks (maybe 5%, probably less), use mainly Japanese terminology, and practically focus largely on close range striking and grappling with lots of takedowns, and again, very few kicks, and those generally low. I feel much more at home with Goju Ryu stylists than with WTF, ITF, ATA or whoever else.

While it's probably more a matter of national pride that our style ever became titled "Taekwondo" it does go to show that there is almost nothing truly cohesive about the range of martial arts going by the name. Karate is probably only slightly less fractured...