Taekwondo represented by?

M

MissTwisties

Does Taekwondo have an animal representing such as the tiger or the dragon? Or maybe an animal who represent all Korean martial arts? The reason I am asking is that I've been looking for patches to put on one of my daughter's jacket, and I wouldn't want to put something that do not represent the style she's in. So far I do not find that many nice patches anyway...there is just a few on karate depot that I've seen and that are nice enough to be put on her jacket. If you know of any other website where I could order some real nice ones, I'd appreciate it. Thank you. :)

OP
M

MissTwisties

I don't think they do. And he paid himself a lot of money to have a huge embroidery on the back of his own jacket. I can't afford that right now. But I'd like to know what is the animal representing Korean martial arts? Thanks.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No particular animal. Tigers mostly though. Is this the jacket she wears to regular school? Or a warmup type for TKD class? I wouldn't put anything on her regular jacket-kind of targets her for bullies. For a warmup though, a US flag would be nice for a shoulder patch. www.centuryma.com has patches. TW

OP
M

MissTwisties

Why would anyone be a bully more to her than any other kid because she has a patch from Taekwondo school? Just asking...

She is a very good little girl in her pre-K class. She get along good with all the kids. The teacher loves her and always say she is an angel. :)

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear MissTwisties,

Many traditional dojangs shy away from patches for cosmetic effect. Many schools either use the American / Korean shoulder flags, or the school-affiliation-organization patch on the lapel.

There are so many emaculate patches and cosmetic uniforms that is can become more of a beauty pagaent than an environment of learning. A look what I have kinda scene. I would be lead to believe that this is the reason for most doboks being plain and white.

TAEKWON!
Spookey

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Why would anyone be a bully more to her than any other kid because she has a patch from Taekwondo school? Just asking...

She is a very good little girl in her pre-K class. She get along good with all the kids. The teacher loves her and always say she is an angel. :)

My daughter took TKD at age 10 because of a bully problem. After a few pictures in the paper and demos, it was known that she and her brother were in and eventually went to black belt. But that did not stop the ridicule, and unkind, jeering words. Taunts, like you can't beat me up! Want to try? Well, TKD teaches rather, not to use it in those circumstances, so actually she had to take alot of verbal abuse. I would at least, not advertise that she is in, on her regular jacket until she really can defend herself and that may not be for quite a few years. In high school, it actually was quite good to be known as a black belt. Nobody messed with my kids then. ;) TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Miss Twisties,

Traditionally, Tae Kwon Do has been represented by the tiger, as has been Korea. In fact, the 1988 Seoul Olympics adopted a tiger mascot. There are a couple of reasons for this.
1. Tigers are strong, graceful, powerful creatures representing a martial art that is graceful but powerful.

2. Tigers are solitary creatures. They do not hunt in packs and generally keep to themselves. You have to know where they hide. Korea was known for years as the Hermit Kingdom because it did not associate with other countries. Likewise, traditional Tae Kwon Do black belts can be solitary, practicing by themselves as opposed to with others.

The others are correct. Publically broadcasting your daughter's involvement in TKD can be a recipe for disaster, leading to challenges and bullying. Too many people, young kids included, associate martial arts with Bruce Lee, ninjas, and Power Rangers because they don't understand. I told very few people I practiced in school for the same reason. They may bait her to see what she can do, because they think she wants to be a badass.

OP
M

MissTwisties

I completly understand what you are trying to say. And you are right. I guess I'm gonna look more at a "Tiger" head or whole animal patch only. No taekwondo letters, no Korea flag, no "fighters" embroidered on the patch. I just wanted her to have something she would be proud of, something that is hers. You see, when my oldest started soccer, I obviously got her a soccer ball that she liked, a soccer choker made with pearls (necklace), some soccer magnets and stickers, ans a soccer t-shirt. THe little one want to have some cool stuff too, of course she have her kimono, but that's only to wear at school. And getting her a t-shirt would advertise what she's doing, what I shouldn't do. So I want to look at maybe a cool patch with only a tiger's head or something. I don't know...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A tiger's head or whole tiger is perfectly acceptable. She'll know what it means, and it can be kind of a personal way to stay connected to class and TKD without broadcasting to the whole world that she takes TKD. If anyone asks, just have her tell them she likes tigers! Eventually they'll be mature enough to hear the real explanation.

OP
M

MissTwisties

Nicely put, exactly why I wanted her to have a patch...to "carry" with her something that means a lot to her. Nobody else (or very few) would know what it means, besides her. ;)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In fact, my wife and I have a 2005 tiger calender hanging in our living room. For me, it is a way to support traditional Tae Kwon Do without having to be obvious about it. More discreet than having a calender full of "Instructor of the Month" or "Kick of the Month" photos.

Anyway, if your daughter is happy going to class, more power to her. That is the important thing. As she gets older, other factors will come into play. But for right now, let her enjoy herself.

OP
M

MissTwisties

I've seen a patch, of a dragon "hugging" a tiger (probably more dragon against tiger)...what does it means?

What does the dragon represent and what does the tiger represent in martial arts?

OP
J

Jim Tindell

My school does not even have "cosmetic" patches. You have to earn them.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
My school does not even have "cosmetic" patches. You have to earn them.

We don't have patches other than the USA Flag patch--none to earn either.
But earned patches probably mean more and don't look so gaudy as in "look at me". Traditional schools don't have many if any patches. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with patches. Actually, many of the children from our school wear shirts that scream Tae Kwon Do. We haven't had any problems with extra bullys. I'm not saying the potential isn't there, just not as common as people would think.

As for tiger vs dragon, couldn't tell you the traditional meaning. Since it's going to be a personal patch, I don' think anyone would argue with you giving it a personal meaning, something your daughter could choose to share with her friends. something to help her explain it.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For years, all we wore was the school patch which you received with your uniform. We also wore Instructor patches after 4th Dan. However, in the last several years, we have been allowed to wear "Academic Achievement" patches and other patches promoting positive behavior. I still cringe whenever I see people walking wround with uniforms full of patches though.

Latest Discussions