Tae Kwon Do Ego

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well some people need to feel better than all others no matter what and this guys has his patsy to make him a star.

OP
A

ave_turuta

Holy Molly. This is by far the most bizarre story I have ever heard!!! If someone tells me I have to clap and do all the silly things they seemed to enjoy doing, I would just roll on the floor and proably die from a laughter attack. I mean, it is way too funny (or bizarre; or both!)

At our school, if the sabunim is not teaching and he enters the class, the person teaching will call for attention, then we do kun-yeh, then he usually teaches. At the end of class we simply stand in line, attention, kunyeh, then we go to the person who's teaching (whether it's the master or not it doesn't matter) and thank her/him for the class.

and btw, I don't think ego is his only problem...
smile.gif

take care,
A.T.

OP
F

foolbae1228

Farang-

Wow! It's unbelievable that people are so egotistical that they would fall for that. It's almost flagged:bs: . LOL.

*Quote* Anyway that's my little story. Has anyone else ever seen behavior like this in TKD before or in any other martial art? Is there anyone in martial arts who has a traveling cavalcade around them at all times like the godfather or something? It was really very strange to say the least.*Quote*

I haven't seen anything to the same degree, but something similar. I was looking at another martial arts school with some brothers (our master wanted us to see other martial arts schools), and we went to check out a Tae Kwon Do school, or so we thought. It was embarassing. The master had such disrespect for the art (throwing belts that were falling off students to the ground) and his teachings were substandard, as his students were falling back everytime a high kick was executed during a sparring match, and if it weren't for the helmet would have split his head open because falling wasn't taught. After we had enough, we were waiting at the door to bow before we left. As we did kun-yeh, the whole class, including the teacher, laughed at us.

Then, I found out later, he wins a lawsuit from a police brutality... Their was a suspected robbery in the area, and the instructor told police that there was no robbery in progress. By law, police have to clear the area. But does he have respect for his country and let the officers do their job, NO. As the officers go past, they rip out his fence gate, and as the officer throws it down, it lands on his foot, and he sustains injuries. Also, he was "roughed up" by the officer and sustained injuries to the shoulder. How can a martial artist recieve injuries if he is trained to avoid them? And why didn't he just let the officer's do their job? I'm still steaming over what happened.

I am sorry for all the REAL Tae Kwon Do practitioners who have to deal with bozos like these.

Farang

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is obvious that he has been watching to many T.V. shows.

We have a jujitsu school in a town not to far from mine that has an instructor that acts very similar to the one described. This guy makes his students all dress the smae outside of the dojo. One of my former instructors has picked up some of this guys former students and they say it is almost cult-like.

Why don't you do some extra research on this guy and give us some info on him in the Horror Stories section. Could get us all some more laughs.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
It is obvious that he has been watching to many T.V. shows.

We have a jujitsu school in a town not to far from mine that has an instructor that acts very similar to the one described. This guy makes his students all dress the smae outside of the dojo. One of my former instructors has picked up some of this guys former students and they say it is almost cult-like.

Why don't you do some extra research on this guy and give us some info on him in the Horror Stories section. Could get us all some more laughs.
How do you do that?!?!?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
How do you do that?!?!?
That is why I said that it is very cultish. You would have to ask some cult members how or why they let themselves get controlled by another to get a good answer.

OP
S

Sparks

Just curious, how do these people dress up exactly? Do they wear shades? ;)
That is truly bizarre!

I totally forgot to mention this- how could I forget!? The 'grand master' of this school was smoking a cigarette the day I saw him all dolled up in suit & shades. Wow, they even promote good health along with the black belt guarantee!!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparks said:
Just curious, how do these people dress up exactly? Do they wear shades? ;)
That is truly bizarre

They all have matching shirts, warm-up suits, shoes, etc. I mean everything. It is truly scary.

I fought a few of this school's students in knockdown and they were below average. All the instructor wanted to do was start trouble with those who were beating on his students. Go figure.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

They all have matching shirts, warm-up suits, shoes, etc. I mean everything. It is truly scary.

Do they were Nike tennis shoes? If they carry around five dollar bills and rolls of quarters...I'd get a little nervpus

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While your experiences were rather unusual, it's entirely possible that such places exist. There are certainly schools that have rather odd (just to be polite) methods and customs, and this isn't limited to any one particular style, whether it be Tae Kwon Do, Karate, etc.

We need only look at the very real examples shown by individuals the likes of Radford William Davis, or John Keehan, and remember that something as outlandish as the school that the original poster saw, could easily happen again. Since I don't want to hijack this thread, I'll simply suggest that those interested in those two examples go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org

and do a search on the above individuals' monikers, Ashida Kim, and Count Dante (or Juan Raphael Dante), respectively, or whatever your favorite search engines tell you.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That sounds pretty bizzarre man, but believable given today's characters. The part about him walking around with body guards/students is pretty funny, but my favorite all time line is the whole guaranteed bb line; reminds me of this one guy I once visited ions ago that had claimed to be a master in Goju and still had time to master Aikido, and Praying Mantis Kung Fu (he didnt know there were several styles), in any event he claimed to award you a bb in 2 years and according to him it would be like having a bb in all these styles rofl. Anyway I am glad to see you joined another school, happy training.

Latest Discussions