Systems and certifications?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For you LEO's, Military and Security folks out there: What system do you use (what are you trained in for your job) and how often do you re-certify. Additionally how hard is your re-certs?

For example I am currently required to use PPCT and we re-cert every year, one 8 hour day. I work with some very.....seasoned and mature investigators (one individual has 40 years on the job and another, older is working on his second retirement as a LEO); I cannot expect them to perform like a 21 yoa Patrol Cop but I make them work the techniques.

All input is appreciated,
Thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently completed Series I certification in Krav Maga Law Enforcement through Krave Maga Worldwide's Force Training Division. The have an annual recertification requirement, though if you take a more advanced instructor course in their program, you meet that recert requirement at the same time. (So I figure for the next couple years, I'm taking a class a year.) I think the recert-only would be 8 hours; each class is 4 to 5 days.

The state LE instructor cert requires a recert every 3 years. General instructor requires a 40 hour class about teaching adult learners, plus a 4 hour apprenticeship (supervised instruction). Specialty areas (DT, Firearms, EVOC) require an additional specialized class in the topic area, and an 8 hour apprenticeship. Recertification in any specialty area covers both the specialty and general instructor requirement. Radar Instructor is a little different; you need the General Instructor, and I think it's a 2 hour apprenticeship after the instructor class.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The state LE instructor cert requires a recert every 3 years. General instructor requires a 40 hour class about teaching adult learners, plus a 4 hour apprenticeship (supervised instruction). Specialty areas (DT, Firearms, EVOC) require an additional specialized class in the topic area, and an 8 hour apprenticeship. Recertification in any specialty area covers both the specialty and general instructor requirement. Radar Instructor is a little different; you need the General Instructor, and I think it's a 2 hour apprenticeship after the instructor class.

Same here in Ohio. To keep my certification active in the police instruction program that was founded by GM Pellegrini of the Combat Hapkido Federation I must attend a vert physical weekend every 3 years. When I taught at the Academy, it was the techniques that the State requires. If I had a cadet that picked up on stuff real fast then I showed him/her some trick from other disciplines

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here in Ohio. To keep my certification active in the police instruction program that was founded by GM Pellegrini of the Combat Hapkido Federation I must attend a vert physical weekend every 3 years. When I taught at the Academy, it was the techniques that the State requires. If I had a cadet that picked up on stuff real fast then I showed him/her some trick from other disciplines
The program at our academy isn't limited to what's taught by Krav Maga Worldwide -- and KMW doesn't care! But it is a big part of the framework now, and we add other stuff into it as needed. And, of course, there's lots of stuff that isn't covered at all by the Krav Maga program. The two certifications are separate, as well.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Required by DCJS once a year to retain my Constable status.

8 hour firearms
4 hour DT, handcuffing, article 35, oc and baton combined.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I missed the how hard... Well, I can't say -- but I doubt it's much for the state.

The Krav Maga? If the Series I course is an indication, it's an ***-kicker!

Latest Discussions