Systema and Sambo in the United States

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why do we see a hell of a lot more Systema schools or groups than Sambo groups here in the United States? I currently practice Judo and wish I could train in Sambo along with it. Where I live in the PNW we have 0 Sambo groups or schools but like three systema schools. It makes no sense either because I live in Portland which is a fairly large city with a decent amount of Slavic people.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Why are there more point karate fighting schools than Kyokushin? Sambo is tough.

There used to be a group in Seattle run by Aaron Fields, Seatown Grappling I think, that was sambo based.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why are there more point karate fighting schools than Kyokushin? Sambo is tough.

There used to be a group in Seattle run by Aaron Fields, Seatown Grappling I think, that was sambo based.
Yeah he closed down permanently in 2020 unfortunately. I never trained with him but I heard he was a very legit instructor and the best in the PNW.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do we see a hell of a lot more Systema schools or groups than Sambo groups here in the United States? I currently practice Judo and wish I could train in Sambo along with it. Where I live in the PNW we have 0 Sambo groups or schools but like three systema schools. It makes no sense either because I live in Portland which is a fairly large city with a decent amount of Slavic people.
Portland, Oregon?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk