Sympathy For The Devil

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the justice vs. mercy debate. Certainly it is true that this fellow deserves death for his heinious mass murder, justice would have allowed that. But he wasn't given the death penalty, instead life in prison, which is to be commuted for humanitarian reasons. Mercy would say say that while he doesn't deserve to be set free, due to his cancer, this unmerited act of compassion would allow him to live his last days out of prison. It's difficult, I'd have to pray about this before coming up with a decision.

He wasn't given the death penalty because we haven't had it here for over forty years.
I'm not sure if people have understood what will probably happen though no decisions have been made yet.
The prisoner asked for a transfer to Libya who have also applied for this, this means he goes from a Scottish prison to a Libya one, he will still die in prison but will be able to receive visits from friends, family etc. He also made a separate application for compassionate release on account of his terminal cancer. At the same time he also had an appeal going through the courts. The transfer however could not take place while this appeal was in place, presumably knowing this his lawyers had advised him to withdraw the appeal which he did. This now makes him eligible to be transferred.
I think the political decision will be to transfer him to a Libyan prison, that way he gets to go home but not get off any prison time, they have also stopped the appeal which according to many would have brought up too many issues for various governments.
Whether released or transferred I doubt he will be treated to the heroes welcome some relatives of the victims fear, current thought is that he will 'disappear'. He has always declared his innocence, unusual in a crime like this so Gaddafi may well wish him not to be seen in public.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He wasn't given the death penalty because we haven't had it here for over forty years.
I'm not sure if people have understood what will probably happen though no decisions have been made yet.
The prisoner asked for a transfer to Libya who have also applied for this, this means he goes from a Scottish prison to a Libya one, he will still die in prison but will be able to receive visits from friends, family etc. He also made a separate application for compassionate release on account of his terminal cancer. At the same time he also had an appeal going through the courts. The transfer however could not take place while this appeal was in place, presumably knowing this his lawyers had advised him to withdraw the appeal which he did. This now makes him eligible to be transferred.
I think the political decision will be to transfer him to a Libyan prison, that way he gets to go home but not get off any prison time, they have also stopped the appeal which according to many would have brought up too many issues for various governments.
Whether released or transferred I doubt he will be treated to the heroes welcome some relatives of the victims fear, current thought is that he will 'disappear'. He has always declared his innocence, unusual in a crime like this so Gaddafi may well wish him not to be seen in public.

Thanks, I didn't know these details. If he is still in a prison in Libya I don't have a problem with it.

Latest Discussions