Switching up my edc

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honestly I've ordered several products from united cutlery before, I don't like saying this because I think some of their knives are ok and I have 3 from them I like, but the canes I've seen looked a bit how do I say it, not durable basically. I'd go for hardwood from what you listed as options, but I have experience using a wooden impact weapon before and if your gonna carry something made of wood even though it's hardwood I'm gonna say carry a backup weapon incase of a freak accident where it might break. With you being in California and the laws being the way they are I'd recommend a tactical pen or pepper spray. Me personally I'd carry a tactical pen as a backup because I can't carry pepper spray the risk is too great one of my family members has a breathing problem. Good Luck.
From your experience, how's the wood stick break? Does that have to do with the grain of the wood?

The cane I buy has very straight wood grain, does that make a difference?

The cane I buy is of Hickory and the grain is very straight. If the break is because of the slanted grain, that should not be my concern. But if it's not, I really want to know.

Thanks

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like to have a consistent EDC, so I always know what I have, where I have it and that I'm able to work it, even under stress. For instance:
  • 9mm compact auto with two 10 round mags
  • Pepper spray
  • Spyderco folding knife
  • Aluminum flashlight
  • Crook cane made of hickory
Oh, and also my brain...most of the time!
Which spyderco are you currently using? I don't have any spyderco blades but some of my friends do. I'm interested in some of their designs.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From your experience, how's the wood stick break? Does that have to do with the grain of the wood?

The cane I buy has very straight wood grain, does that make a difference?

The cane I buy is of Hickory and the grain is very straight. If the break is because of the slanted grain, that should not be my concern. But if it's not, I really want to know.

Thanks
I'm not entirely sure honestly. But hickory is a way harder wood than the impact weapon I used was made of ash and it ended up splintering, it basically broke into 2 pieces with splintering, one sharp end(which could of been used as a weapon but the situation wasn't serious enough to justify that) I now carry a steel expandable baton, which comes with its own pros and cons, pros is it's easier for concealment and powerful, cons if you hit someone in the wrong area it can be ineffective, but if you hit them in another wrong area it's too powerful, so you gotta know your targets and know what you can do in certain situations. There's literally systems dedicated to cane fighting though, there's videos and books all over the net. One of my old instructors used to do a demo where he dressed normal and his students would attack him. An 85 year old man vs 3-4 brutes, it was hilarious and a riot. Yes it was choreographed but canes are a very good option. Especially if you don't truly need it. Appear a certain way but get the advantage over attackers, they think they are picking on an old man who is nearly cripple, until you unleash the tiger. You are using the art of war and I like that!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure honestly. But hickory is a way harder wood than the impact weapon I used was made of ash and it ended up splintering, it basically broke into 2 pieces with splintering, one sharp end(which could of been used as a weapon but the situation wasn't serious enough to justify that) I now carry a steel expandable baton, which comes with its own pros and cons, pros is it's easier for concealment and powerful, cons if you hit someone in the wrong area it can be ineffective, but if you hit them in another wrong area it's too powerful, so you gotta know your targets and know what you can do in certain situations. There's literally systems dedicated to cane fighting though, there's videos and books all over the net. One of my old instructors used to do a demo where he dressed normal and his students would attack him. An 85 year old man vs 3-4 brutes, it was hilarious and a riot. Yes it was choreographed but canes are a very good option. Especially if you don't truly need it. Appear a certain way but get the advantage over attackers, they think they are picking on an old man who is nearly cripple, until you unleash the tiger. You are using the art of war and I like that!
Too bad the steel expandable baton is NOT legal here. That would be the easiest to carry. I have a few of them too.

I absolutely don't need a cane, good thing is at my age, it doesn't look funny for me to carry one.

How did you break the ash wood stick? Hitting something hard or hitting another stick during fighting/sparring? I was thinking about the splintering will give a sharp end also. So when in self defense situation, even if the cane breaks, I still have a shorter stick with sharp end.

I do test my cane on heavy kicking bags, Those Everlast bags is cheaply made, the bottom is really hard. It's almost like sand settles at the bottom and it's like hitting rock. I wack on that part also. I spend like 5mins wacking the heavy bag to make sure the wood cane doesn't break.

I bought a cheap wood cane from Amazon, it broke in half in a minute not even hitting that hard. I have 4 of those hickory cane, they all survived hitting the bag with two hands.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Too bad the steel expandable baton is NOT legal here. That would be the easiest to carry. I have a few of them too.

I absolutely don't need a cane, good thing is at my age, it doesn't look funny for me to carry one.

How did you break the ash wood stick? Hitting something hard or hitting another stick during fighting/sparring? I was thinking about the splintering will give a sharp end also. So when in self defense situation, even if the cane breaks, I still have a shorter stick with sharp end.

I do test my cane on heavy kicking bags, Those Everlast bags is cheaply made, the bottom is really hard. It's almost like sand settles at the bottom and it's like hitting rock. I wack on that part also. I spend like 5mins wacking the heavy bag to make sure the wood cane doesn't break.

I bought a cheap wood cane from Amazon, it broke in half in a minute not even hitting that hard. I have 4 of those hickory cane, they all survived hitting the bag with two hands.
It might not splinter every time or become sharp after splintering, it was kind of a freak accident. Self defense, missed my target with an ash stick and hit a parked car rear view mirror then it splintered. After that I will never carry ash again, hickory is really good. There's a history of bikers using hickory ax handles no blade just the handles as impact weapons and they seem to work good. But I wouldn't rely on the fact it might splinter then get sharp, I hit metal so that's why it did that, against a skull or kneecap I don't see a strong hickory breaking that easily. It's always possible, but you are carrying back up weapons just in case so you should be good.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It might not splinter every time or become sharp after splintering, it was kind of a freak accident. Self defense, missed my target with an ash stick and hit a parked car rear view mirror then it splintered. After that I will never carry ash again, hickory is really good. There's a history of bikers using hickory ax handles no blade just the handles as impact weapons and they seem to work good. But I wouldn't rely on the fact it might splinter then get sharp, I hit metal so that's why it did that, against a skull or kneecap I don't see a strong hickory breaking that easily. It's always possible, but you are carrying back up weapons just in case so you should be good.
I am reconsider to change back to The fiber filled Nylon cane I have been carrying. A little heavier and a little softer might be a lot better than taking a chance on breaking even though mine is a hickory. Those Nylon cane last. Over a years of beating the heavy bag and still going strong.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
Which spyderco are you currently using? I don't have any spyderco blades but some of my friends do. I'm interested in some of their designs.
I carry one of the original Delica models that I got in the early 90's, right after they came out. I also bought an Endura around the same time, which I still have, but there are areas around where I live that have blade length restrictions, so I don't carry that anymore.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't particularly like some of the spyderco, it's expensive for one. My carrying knife going out is the Steel Will Warbot, the top one in the picture.
Two knives 1.jpg

I want knife to have the flipper tap pointed by the red arrow. It is safer if you thrust(shanking) so the knife would not be shoved back into your hand. The spyderco I saw does not have that as shown:
bad handle.jpg

I practice with a rubber knife on heavy bag, there is a risk of the knife being shoved back when I lose concentration. The flipper tap serves as last line of protection.

JMHO

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like some of the spyderco, it's expensive for one.
Spyderco knives are expensive? 🤣
I want knife to have the flipper tap pointed by the red arrow. It is safer if you thrust(shanking) so the knife would not be shoved back into your hand.
No, it's not. Not unless you have a ridiculously weak grip. In which case you're likely to just drop the knife anyway.
I practice with a rubber knife on heavy bag, there is a risk of the knife being shoved back when I lose concentration. The flipper tap serves as last line of protection.
So it's a technological fix for a training problem. A better solution would be... better training.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Spyderco knives are expensive? 🤣

No, it's not. Not unless you have a ridiculously weak grip. In which case you're likely to just drop the knife anyway.

So it's a technological fix for a training problem. A better solution would be... better training.
More expensive I am willing to pay for a knife that is a TOOL. I am willing to pay good money for cars and watches and all that, not on a TOOL.

It's insurance. You don't squeeze it tight all the time, you relax to swing and squeeze at the last moment like punching. Sometimes in the middle of everything, you might forget to squeeze on time. I practice slashing and shanking on heavy bag, once a while, I notice I missed and the rubber knife got shoved back a little, not all the way, but it tells me that it CAN HAPPEN. Don't want to take the chance.

Pokitren

White Belt
Reaction score
If you ask me, a telescopic baton would be better :)

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I don't carry a knife as a weapon, but as a tool. I would never be without a pocket knife, but I would have to really be in extremis to use a knife as a weapon, because I would have to have exhausted the use of my gun and my H2H training, so it is unlikely. For one thing, I have heard lawyers advise that even though written law doesn't say it, prosecutors and juries tend to take dim view of using a knife for SD. And I am not a believer in the old "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by six" thing. Going to prison is an unacceptable outcome for me.

You also have to be aware of the laws in your area. Where I am, knives are OK to carry concealed, but spring-type retractable batons are illegal and the law is worded vaguely in a way that a solid expandable baton might be seen as illegal. For an impact weapon, I like the cane. It is always legal, everywhere, and it can be highly effective if you've trained with it.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I know this is an older thread but figured it ask this. My sister is going to Vegas for a vacation, she's barely 5ft and about 100lbs. She's flying and I know tsa has strict rules against weapons, I was going to give her my tactical pen but I hears those are a no go these days. So I'm looking for a pen that can function as a weapon but is not a tactical pen. Or something she can carry on and have on her when walking around in Vegas. Normally I wouldn't worry about this type of stuff but it's vegas and I've heard stories of creepy guys and human trafficking, and it doesn't help that she's so small. So I'm looking for something she can have on her 24/7 to defend herself if needed. Like I said I have an atomic bear tactical pen but I don't think it would make it through. But if you guys have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I know this is an older thread but figured it ask this. My sister is going to Vegas for a vacation, she's barely 5ft and about 100lbs. She's flying and I know tsa has strict rules against weapons, I was going to give her my tactical pen but I hears those are a no go these days. So I'm looking for a pen that can function as a weapon but is not a tactical pen. Or something she can carry on and have on her when walking around in Vegas. Normally I wouldn't worry about this type of stuff but it's vegas and I've heard stories of creepy guys and human trafficking, and it doesn't help that she's so small. So I'm looking for something she can have on her 24/7 to defend herself if needed. Like I said I have an atomic bear tactical pen but I don't think it would make it through. But if you guys have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
My first suggestion is always a metal water bottle.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always liked the telescopic baton, I got a little rush opening it, brought out the youth in me. I still love the sound of opening that bad boy. Like I love the sound of a shotgun jacking.

Unfortunately, the telescopic batons don't work well. Especially against crazy or a highly motivated criminal element.

I DO like it held in hand, closed, like a long roll of nickels that extend outside the fist. Works really well that way if you get good training by an experienced trainer familiar with it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TSA isn't the problem. I frequently travel with a gun, and it's no big deal.
Start by finding out what she can legally carry in Las Vegas, and go from there.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
The TSA isn't the problem. I frequently travel with a gun, and it's no big deal.
Start by finding out what she can legally carry in Las Vegas, and go from there.
A person can always carry a cane on an airliner and on the street in any state in the US. A crook cane made of hickory or the like can be fast and devastating as a weapon. A person can learn a decent set of basic moves pretty quickly.

Pokitren

White Belt
Reaction score
I always liked the telescopic baton, I got a little rush opening it, brought out the youth in me. I still love the sound of opening that bad boy. Like I love the sound of a shotgun jacking.

Unfortunately, the telescopic batons don't work well. Especially against crazy or a highly motivated criminal element.

I DO like it held in hand, closed, like a long roll of nickels that extend outside the fist. Works really well that way if you get good training by an experienced trainer familiar with it.
It definitely takes practice. However, against a highly motivated criminal element, even a lot of training may not help. I prefer not to walk in such places at all :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A person can always carry a cane on an airliner and on the street in any state in the US. A crook cane made of hickory or the like can be fast and devastating as a weapon. A person can learn a decent set of basic moves pretty quickly.
That's what I do. For my age, it looks normal.

problem with me is it's VERY to buy Hickory crook cane. I only know of one place. They are 1 1/16" diameter(if that). I am looking for something thicker like 1 1/8" diameter, can't find it. If anyone know where to get a crook cane like this, let me know.

Last edited: