Switching up my edc

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So for years I've had a very similar edc. It consisted of cell phone, tactical flashlight and a knife mainly for self defense but also to open stuff. I Love blades and I love training with them, but I'm more comfortable carrying a baton. So I'm gonna switch my edc weapon to a baton, a tactical flashlight and cell phone. I'm still gonna carry a blade a push dagger for last ditch defense in case I ever get in a really really bad situation that ends up with me on the ground defending against multiple attackers. That scenario happened to me once before I was trained and I've thought about it over and over through the years what I could do different if put in that same situation again. I've ran this idea by some of my training partners and they agree the baton would be better for me personally with my capabilities. Did you ever change your edc? And how often do you evaluate your edc to see if it's still right for the situation?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I evaluate my EDC every... day...
But it's usually the same.
My wallet, cell phone, keys for whatever I'm driving that day, and a small no-name flashlight. This doesn't really change.
Beyond that, I generally carry either a Microtech Ultratech, Benchmade Autostryker, or Benchmade Infidel. Along with that is, 99% of the time, a Glock 19 and a couple G17 mags. If I need something tiny, a G26 or a Ruger LC9s Pro. If we're going to be out in the woods either a 1911 in .45ACP or Taurus Judge with 1-2 round of 410 snake shot and 3-4 rounds of .45 Colt.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I evaluate my EDC every... day...
But it's usually the same.
My wallet, cell phone, keys for whatever I'm driving that day, and a small no-name flashlight. This doesn't really change.
Beyond that, I generally carry either a Microtech Ultratech, Benchmade Autostryker, or Benchmade Infidel. Along with that is, 99% of the time, a Glock 19 and a couple G17 mags. If I need something tiny, a G26 or a Ruger LC9s Pro. If we're going to be out in the woods either a 1911 in .45ACP or Taurus Judge with 1-2 round of 410 snake shot and 3-4 rounds of .45 Colt.
Is the autostryker still made? My friends brother got one from his unit when in Iraq. I have Benchmade taste on a crkt budget lol

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I no longer have a set EDC, most of my time is spent in flip flops instead of facing violence. However when I travel to places that are dangerous I have a few items I try to have on me 90 percent of the time. Some key items are:
1. Metal water bottle (For hydration, boiling water if needed, and as a wicked impact weapon)
2. Quick clot, NPA (airway management) as my always have trauma kit (Sometimes supplemented with a full blow out kit), also Tylenol, Antibiotics (in case I am injured in a remote environment), Imodium, and Pepto
3. Water proof case for my phone (doubles as a canteen)
5. Medical gloves for personal protection during first aid
6. Iodine (For water treatment)
7. Two button compasses
8. Lukeo tape (So I can hike long distances and stay mobile)
9. Bar of soap (hygiene, replace toilet paper if needed, even clean my dishes, laundry)

This by no means is everything I carry, but with the exclusion of the water bottle all of this fits in a small bag. A small bag that fits in my hand. It is my smallest kit that I always want to have if traveling internationally.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the autostryker still made?
I think it has been discontinued, but I am not sure. I've had mine for something like 15 years.
My friends brother got one from his unit when in Iraq. I have Benchmade taste on a crkt budget lol
They're certainly not cheap, but this is one case in which you really do get what you pay for.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it has been discontinued, but I am not sure. I've had mine for something like 15 years.

They're certainly not cheap, but this is one case in which you really do get what you pay for.
I wanted a Gerber covert bad! Saved up for like 3 months but couldn't find one, instead found bear ops bold action 3 its basically a clone but it's made in USA and I'm happy with it, if you're ever interested you should check them out only about $99 if you can find one. For what I need it for it's very good. Strong spring for the automatic deployment and feels good in the hand.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I no longer have a set EDC, most of my time is spent in flip flops instead of facing violence. However when I travel to places that are dangerous I have a few items I try to have on me 90 percent of the time. Some key items are:
1. Metal water bottle (For hydration, boiling water if needed, and as a wicked impact weapon)
2. Quick clot, NPA (airway management) as my always have trauma kit (Sometimes supplemented with a full blow out kit), also Tylenol, Antibiotics (in case I am injured in a remote environment), Imodium, and Pepto
3. Water proof case for my phone (doubles as a canteen)
5. Medical gloves for personal protection during first aid
6. Iodine (For water treatment)
7. Two button compasses
8. Lukeo tape (So I can hike long distances and stay mobile)
9. Bar of soap (hygiene, replace toilet paper if needed, even clean my dishes, laundry)

This by no means is everything I carry, but with the exclusion of the water bottle all of this fits in a small bag. A small bag that fits in my hand. It is my smallest kit that I always want to have if traveling internationally.
I have a get home bag I carry sometimes but one day I really needed it and it wasn't in the car, there was a blackout in my area. It consist of. Flashlights,batteries, water filter straw,emergency blankets, fire rod,fire starters, utility knife, first aid kit, red flashlight, normally a 21 inch collapsible baton, a rig so I can make a shelter with one of the emergency blankets, a versatile carabiner I forgot what brand, energy bars, several bottles of water, and a survival knife from tops blades. I want to add paracord. I have a habit of bringing in my kit at night because I don't like leaving it in my car at night, one of my neighbors had their car windows busted out, I think it was a domestic incident but I don't want to risk losing my gear .

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the autostryker still made? My friends brother got one from his unit when in Iraq. I have Benchmade taste on a crkt budget lol
I checked, and the Auto Stryker is still available direct from Benchmade ($280) or from BladeHQ ($252). They no longer make the mini, and the only blade option is the partially serrated version.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My main EDC is my crook cane. I have a pepper spray in left pocket and a Steel Will warbot folding knife in my right pocket. But mainly the cane.

For the longest time, I carry the United Cutlery Night Watchman where I cut the sharp handle and make it look innocent. It is about 18.7oz cut to 32". Diameter is 15/16"
UnitedCutlery.Com: Night Watchman Premium Adjustable Walking Cane - UC3129

But lately, I am switching to a hickory wood cane of 1 1/16" diameter and cut to 33" and weight about 17.5oz.
Crook Cane, Hickory Unfinished, NO engraving 1 each

I am debating which one is better, the United Cutlery is not as hard, when I lean on it, it definitely bend a little. The Hickory cane is very hard, Don't notice any bending when I lean on it. The Hickory cane seems to be a little lighter to swing even though it's 1" longer. Because Hickory is harder, I would expect it to hit harder. BUT I beat both on the heavy bag, I REALLY CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHICH ONE HITS HARDER.

Maybe this is the right place for people here that practice stick fight to give opinion which one I should use.

At the mean time, I ordered a new Octagonal hickory cane that is slightly thicker than the round 1 1/16" diameter. It will arrive tomorrow, I have to try that after I cut to the right length.
Hickory Octagon Cane

Like to hear from anyone that has opinion between the United Cutlery and the Hickory round cane.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do carry a uniball power tank pen. Which is still the best pen I have come across.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure you have done so already, but for those who may be reading suggestions on this thread and are NOT familiar with their state's laws. PLEASE check what your state's laws are on what is legal to carry.

In Michigan and California, for example, (there are probably other states as well) it would be illegal to carry a baton as part of your EDC. Same with a "push dagger" in Michigan.

If you were stopped carrying those things, you would be arrested/charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do carry a uniball power tank pen. Which is still the best pen I have come across.
Gotta love the uniball pens. They write really smoothly. I don't carry a pen normally, but the one on my desktop is a walnut pen made for me by a friend.
IMG_5812[1].JPG

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am sure you have done so already, but for those who may be reading suggestions on this thread and are NOT familiar with their state's laws. PLEASE check what your state's laws are on what is legal to carry.

In Michigan and California, for example, (there are probably other states as well) it would be illegal to carry a baton as part of your EDC. Same with a "push dagger" in Michigan.

If you were stopped carrying those things, you would be arrested/charged with carrying a concealed weapon.
I live in Kalifornia, collapsible baton is illegal, or else that would be a good one. Walking cane is about the most effective here.

Fixed blade or ones that deploy with spring are not legal also, neither is cane sword.

And yes, they will make an example of law abiding citizen, they are only lenient to criminals with records.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My main EDC is my crook cane. I have a pepper spray in left pocket and a Steel Will warbot folding knife in my right pocket. But mainly the cane.

For the longest time, I carry the United Cutlery Night Watchman where I cut the sharp handle and make it look innocent. It is about 18.7oz cut to 32". Diameter is 15/16"

But lately, I am switching to a hickory wood cane of 1 1/16" diameter and cut to 33" and weight about 17.5oz.

I am debating which one is better, the United Cutlery is not as hard, when I lean on it, it definitely bend a little. The Hickory cane is very hard, Don't notice any bending when I lean on it. The Hickory cane seems to be a little lighter to swing even though it's 1" longer. Because Hickory is harder, I would expect it to hit harder. BUT I beat both on the heavy bag, I REALLY CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHICH ONE HITS HARDER.

Maybe this is the right place for people here that practice stick fight to give opinion which one I should use.

At the mean time, I ordered a new Octagonal hickory cane that is slightly thicker than the round 1 1/16" diameter. It will arrive tomorrow, I have to try that after I cut to the right length.
Hickory Octagon Cane

Like to hear from anyone that has opinion between the United Cutlery and the Hickory round cane.
Honestly I've ordered several products from united cutlery before, I don't like saying this because I think some of their knives are ok and I have 3 from them I like, but the canes I've seen looked a bit how do I say it, not durable basically. I'd go for hardwood from what you listed as options, but I have experience using a wooden impact weapon before and if your gonna carry something made of wood even though it's hardwood I'm gonna say carry a backup weapon incase of a freak accident where it might break. With you being in California and the laws being the way they are I'd recommend a tactical pen or pepper spray. Me personally I'd carry a tactical pen as a backup because I can't carry pepper spray the risk is too great one of my family members has a breathing problem. Good Luck.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I've ordered several products from united cutlery before, I don't like saying this because I think some of their knives are ok and I have 3 from them I like, but the canes I've seen looked a bit how do I say it, not durable basically. I'd go for hardwood from what you listed as options, but I have experience using a wooden impact weapon before and if your gonna carry something made of wood even though it's hardwood I'm gonna say carry a backup weapon incase of a freak accident where it might break. With you being in California and the laws being the way they are I'd recommend a tactical pen or pepper spray. Me personally I'd carry a tactical pen as a backup because I can't carry pepper spray the risk is too great one of my family members has a breathing problem. Good Luck.
Oh just saw where you Said you carry backup weapons ok good, I'd go for hardwood of some sort.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hickory Octagon Cane

You don't really need the cane though?

So I am suprised you are not going for a bubba stick or something.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This United Cutlery cane is VERY durable:
United Cutlery 39" Adjustable Walking Black Molded Nylon Shaft Cane 3129 760729312968 | eBay
I use one of this to hit heavy bags for over a year, still going strong. Never bought anything else of United Cutlery, so I don't know the others. I can attest the cane is as good as it gets. The reason I go to the Hickory cane is because Hickory cane is harder. But I am not sure it really make any difference on hitting. I kept going back and fore, I really cannot say which one hits harder on the heavy bag. I might go back to the United Cutlery cane, like you said, cane breaking is always in my mine carrying a wood cane. I definitely not worry about the Nylon cane breaking.

I also tested those hickory canes on the heavy bags. I hit the bags for 5mins each cane to make sure they don't break. They seem to hold up, they are designed for for fighting like wooden sword. I got a cheap wood cane from Amazon, didn't even last a minute before it broke in half.

I do carry a folding knife with 3.5" blade in my right pocket in case I lose my cane in the fight.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SM...d-clip-point-combo-blade-od-green-g10-handles

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't really need the cane though?

So I am suprised you are not going for a bubba stick or something.

Oh no, I don't need a cane to walk!!! One time I hurt my ankle, I did not even know how to use a cane to walk. Here I was limping while holding the cane!!o_O

The cane in the picture attract too much attention. Also it's hard to hang onto the table. I even cut the sharp handle of the United cutlery cane to make it very normal looking. I don't want to draw any attention.

If I were to get a cane similar to the picture, this is the one I would carry as I have one also:
Cold Steel Walkabout Walking Stick 38.5" Black Polypropylene 91WALK 705442014010 | eBay

Last edited:

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like to have a consistent EDC, so I always know what I have, where I have it and that I'm able to work it, even under stress. For instance:
  • 9mm compact auto with two 10 round mags
  • Pepper spray
  • Spyderco folding knife
  • Aluminum flashlight
  • Crook cane made of hickory
Oh, and also my brain...most of the time!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to have a consistent EDC, so I always know what I have, where I have it and that I'm able to work it, even under stress. For instance:
Agree completely. I may choose a different gun or knife, but the location/manner of carry will almost always be the same. My gun will, 99.999% of the time, be IWB, behind my hip.

For much the same reasons, I prefer to use tech dive gear even on recreational dives.

We teach the importance of muscle memory to our MA students. There's no good reason not to apply the same lesson to other activities.

Latest Discussions