Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because you don't understand them therefore they are wrong.
i didnt say you were wrong, i said given the complete lack of information you used to arrive at your snap judgement, you were unlikely to be correct

a bit like water diviners will just get it right some of the time, but not mostly

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It let me down against a taller, rangier opponent where I felt I was reaching for my shots and I just couldn't get off properly.
Maybe he was just better than you....no need to make excuses you got your butt kicked and tbh it’d probably the same no matter how you do your jab...a jab Is just one punch

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe he was just better than you....no need to make excuses you got your butt kicked and tbh it’d probably the same no matter how you do your jab...a jab Is just one punch
im with you, mostly

jabs are useful, but lets be clear they are useful mostly to back the other guy off or to distract him whilst you do something else

it is possible if your jab is hard enough and fast enough to jab someone to defeat, possibly be TKO but certainly by points

but to do anything much it has to land ( obviously) which requires speed and needs to hurt them enough to distract them or back them off.

a powder punch jab isnt the best, it is arguably better than not landing at all, but not much. but its not an either or situation and fast jab will impart force, a faster jab will impart even more.

if what your doing is throwing a straight ? right/left rather than a jab, then that really depends on if your straight right is fast enough to land, if it is, great, if it isnt stop throwing straight rights and work on your jab

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's saying the other guy was better, amd the jab was part of it. He recognized it was lacking in a sparring match, so he's learning to improve his jab. Exactly what any martial artist should be doing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
jab is hard enough
Agree! If you coordinate your jab with your leading foot landing, you jab can be "almost" as powerful as your cross. The only missing part is the body rotation. You have body rotation in your cross. You don't have body rotation in you jab.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i didnt say you were wrong, i said given the complete lack of information you used to arrive at your snap judgement, you were unlikely to be correct

a bit like water diviners will just get it right some of the time, but not mostly

There was plenty of information. If you understood the information.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but water deviners are right every so often, so that just makes you more like a deviner, claiming that random success is proof

No this would be a blind trial.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
This is actually a video of the drill we're talking about, that shows the flare at the beginning. Basically the elbow pops out to the side instead of going forwards.

And it pops out without knowing it. It's very devilish. Vertical fist helps. Probably the best quick fix.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

He did not kick my *** at all and my jab is very hard.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He did not kick my *** at all and my jab is very hard.

Was that video meant to prove that fact? Because you can’t tell how hard a punch is by a video of hitting a bag leaning on a wall

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im with you, mostly

jabs are useful, but lets be clear they are useful mostly to back the other guy off or to distract him whilst you do something else

it is possible if your jab is hard enough and fast enough to jab someone to defeat, possibly be TKO but certainly by points

but to do anything much it has to land ( obviously) which requires speed and needs to hurt them enough to distract them or back them off.

a powder punch jab isnt the best, it is arguably better than not landing at all, but not much. but its not an either or situation and fast jab will impart force, a faster jab will impart even more.

if what your doing is throwing a straight ? right/left rather than a jab, then that really depends on if your straight right is fast enough to land, if it is, great, if it isnt stop throwing straight rights and work on your jab

How long have you boxed? You write like a TMA theorizing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mike tyson knocking fighters down with a single jab

Again knock downs with the jab

Most of the people who knock other down or know them out with the Jab use a lot of forward movement. Those who just want to interrupt their opponent's next punch tend to move backwards with the jab. Moving backwards reduces the power of the jab and draws the opponent in.

Most people use jabs like this

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"I have seen bad boxers with a good jab, but I've never seen a good boxer with a bad jab"

/Freddie Roach

Latest Discussions