Sushi Fans Unite!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'll keep that in mind. My wife's fam is from Madison and I think it would be a cool trip to hit Milwaukee for some sushi...and maybe some beer too!
Unfortunatly I don't drink so I only know of two types of beer joints. Those that have a ton of imports and of course places where the beer is cheap! You would have to deal with those two choices

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
I tend to stay toward the more tame sushi (teka maki and california roll are my personal favs), but ya, I love it too. :) Great little place in downtown Columbus that serves it. No saki there though. :D
Try the Sapporo Wind on
Cleveland avenue.
It's up past 161.
Thats not a bad little place either.
Great atmosphere!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Unfortunatly I don't drink so I only know of two types of beer joints. Those that have a ton of imports and of course places where the beer is cheap! You would have to deal with those two choices
I'd go just for the sushi! When are the Festivals in Milwaukee?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sake... mmmmmmmmm my favorite! it goes so perfectly with the fish it is amazing. I've tried lot of different brands from cheap stuff made in oregon to $100/bottle imported from Japan (which is still barely middle-grade really). It's like (grape) wine, find some you like in a price range you want to pay. I usally get the $60 bottle to start with then switch to cheaper stuff after that. I usually drink an entire 750ml bottle myself and the wife aobut half as much with a good long dinner. And I usually fall alseep in the passenger seat on the way home too!

cold, unfiltered.... good for after dinner, sweet and refreshing
dry, room temp. - good with fish
warm, cheap - before or after dinner, or just for drinking. SAKE BOMB!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'd go just for the sushi! When are the Festivals in Milwaukee?
The festivals start after Memorial Day and run thru the summer. Bummerfest runs around the week of the 4th of July. State Fair (my Fav) is in August. Along the way Asain Moon fest, Fiesta Mexicanna, Italian fest etc.. along with church fairs and such

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This would pretty much ensure that my daughter never tries sushi...

Attachments

• $nemosushi.jpg
    $nemosushi.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 78

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My time in Japan definetely spoiled me. I used to love all types of sushi before, but I'm a lot pickier now. I don't go for the American stuff that's, like, 90% rice (nigiri, at least), or the "inventive" types (Samurai roll, California roll, etc.). I much prefer good 'ol izakaya joints with good sake and a specialized menu. As for sake: as I understand it, there are certain types that should be warmed and certain types that should be chilled. Personally, I prefer the warmed variety; tends to bring out the taste a bit more.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My mom is Japanese, so I grew up on sushi. I must say though, that I didn't like sashimi until I was in college, now I can't get enough of the stuff, and I now live in the absolutely wrong state to get it regularly. :( As a result I dropped $60 on sushi the last time I was able to get to a good restaurant, spendy habit. :)

Lamont

Latest Discussions