Sushi Fans Unite!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi All;

This thread is dedicated to the joys of sushi! I can't get enough of it. I'm making it tonight and I've got the wasabi ready...

WARM UP THE SAKE!!!!

I've got a question...does anyone know why someone cannot use freshwater fish for sushi? I've heard that I'm not supposed to use them, but I've never actually talked to a sushi chef to see if this is true.

upnorthkyosa

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've no idea about the freshwater fish - I don't know why you couldn't use any....

I love sushi, although honestly I prefer the veggies or cooked fish sushi. I haven't acclimated to the slight fishy odor/flavor of the raw fish.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there that enjoys sushi? I really like salmon and tuna. Alot of people think sushi is just raw fish...but that is sashimi. Sushi, as far as I understand it, are rolls of kelp, rice, spices, and raw fish.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "sushi" just refers to the way the rice is prepared - so you can have the rice with anything else included.

I love it. I can make it, but it takes a while, and fanning the rice while I'm hungry is too tempting to just construct something hastily, rather than making the rolls and cutting them. :)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Hi All;

This thread is dedicated to the joys of sushi! I can't get enough of it. I'm making it tonight and I've got the wasabi ready...

WARM UP THE SAKE!!!!

I've got a question...does anyone know why someone cannot use freshwater fish for sushi? I've heard that I'm not supposed to use them, but I've never actually talked to a sushi chef to see if this is true.

upnorthkyosa
Major sushi fan here!
Not big on the Sake though…..too many bad “trips” on it if you know what I mean.
Not sure why you can’t use fresh water fish for sushi. Maybe because it smells bad?
There is a sushi place next to my house that has sushi starting at 100 yen a plate and goes up to about 560 yen a pop. 100 yen is about a buck.
They fear me and my gaijin size appetite.........

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Is there anyone else out there that enjoys sushi? I really like salmon and tuna. Alot of people think sushi is just raw fish...but that is sashimi. Sushi, as far as I understand it, are rolls of kelp, rice, spices, and raw fish.
Sushi:
Su = vinegar
Shi = rice

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Major sushi fan here!
Not big on the Sake though…..too many bad “trips” on it if you know what I mean.
Not sure why you can’t use fresh water fish for sushi. Maybe because it smells bad?
There is a sushi place next to my house that has sushi starting at 100 yen a plate and goes up to about 560 yen a pop. 100 yen is about a buck.
They fear me and my gaijin size appetite.........
Damn it... I'm jealous!!!

Sushi here runs about $1 to $1.50 for the "normal" cuts (salmon, tuna, mackeral) to at times $4 or more for the more obscure cuts like Fatty Tuna & the like.

Sake... yummmm.... bring on the sake, headache be damned!!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Love the Sushi. There is a coouple of places in milw, however try to get people to eat it??Sake, since I'm not a drinker I think Sake tastes like paint thinner-but does seem to be a lot of sake fans out there

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Sake, since I'm not a drinker I think Sake tastes like paint thinner-but does seem to be a lot of sake fans out there
Paint thinner... formaldahyde... sterno... it's all the same to me... :drinkbeer :burp: :drink2tha

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm another sushi lover (sashimi too). I'll eat salmon in just about any form (except lox- just never got a taste for it).

Sake is ok with me, but I usually order a Sapporo at Japanese restaurants.

I have no idea why they don't use freshwater fish. Maybe you could try making sushi with trout sometime and let us know how it goes.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can use freshwater fish, for example Unagi is freshwater eel; there is also a carp and a brackish puffer that are traditionally served. EVERY sushi restaurant will have Unagi, but the others are rare. The general consensus is that freshwater fish are more prone to parasites... Freshwater shrimp, freshwater crab...

So how many of you have ever had REAl wasabi? (Not you Rob R or any others who live in Japan!!! BTW Rob - I thought you were taking a break form MT???) It is very hard to find here in the USA but it is special!! :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine's mom is from Japan. She's from somewhere around one of the Naval Ports during Vietnam.

Anyway, they have a trout stream running thru their property in North Ga that I've been to before. I've seen Tomoko filet a rainbow on the spot & serve as mid afternoon snacks on the bank of the creek.

I just don't think I could eat large mouth bass, brim or catfish for sushi...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Sushi:
Su = vinegar
Shi = rice
Lesson 10,756...learn Japanese.

Well, at least I know how to make it...

btw - I had the real wasabi imported. Now that is some good stuff. Burns the hair out your nose!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Alot of people think sushi is just raw fish...but that is sashimi. Sushi, as far as I understand it, are rolls of kelp, rice, spices, and raw fish.
Well, that makes it sound more appetizing. :(

Give me cooked beef every time!

KajuMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My family is lucky enough to live on the outskirts of one of the few remaining authentic Japantowns in the United States (San Jose, CA). We go to sushi every Friday night--both my kids (ages 9 and 3) have been going to the same place since they were born. They installed a sushi boat bar a couple years ago. Perfect when you have a toddler--you can eat as soon as you sit down.

Our favorites: Maguro (tuna), ebi (shrimp), ebi tempura roll, "Boston roll" (ebi tempura rolled in rice, topped with maguro and spicy sauce), edamame (steamed, salted soy beans in the pod) and mochi ice cream. Yum!

Historically my husband and I have always ordered the "house sake" but we've been branching out lately and it seems that unfiltered sake, served cold, is popular these days.

This area is great for getting excellent examples of all kinds of food. In addition to sushi, I love Vietnamese, Thai, dim sum, and Mexican...

Gotta go--getting hungry!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always been the type of eater where I'll eat just about anything. Sushi was no big deal. In the mouth it went...with a little wasabi...and a little sake and now I am addicted. We don't have a single sushi bar in my town. I either have to make it myself or drive 2.5 hours to get it. Luckily, we have a pretty good oriental grocery here...or I would be totally out of luck. Also, everyone in my family, including my little girl likes edemame. Has anyone tried to grow that in their own garden? We can buy it at the store, but I would rather grow it.

upnorthkyosa

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 friends back in the states and we ALWAYS mash a sushi bar when we get together!

There was one guy in indiana who owned a sushi bar...
I think we put his kids thru college!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I've always been the type of eater where I'll eat just about anything. Sushi was no big deal. In the mouth it went...with a little wasabi...and a little sake and now I am addicted. We don't have a single sushi bar in my town. I either have to make it myself or drive 2.5 hours to get it. Luckily, we have a pretty good oriental grocery here...or I would be totally out of luck. Also, everyone in my family, including my little girl likes edemame. Has anyone tried to grow that in their own garden? We can buy it at the store, but I would rather grow it.

upnorthkyosa
Dude
If you come down to Milwaukee for any of the Festivals, let me know. I would dig hitting the sushi bars with you

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I tend to stay toward the more tame sushi (teka maki and california roll are my personal favs), but ya, I love it too. :) Great little place in downtown Columbus that serves it. No saki there though. :D

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Dude
If you come down to Milwaukee for any of the Festivals, let me know. I would dig hitting the sushi bars with you
I'll keep that in mind. My wife's fam is from Madison and I think it would be a cool trip to hit Milwaukee for some sushi...and maybe some beer too!

Latest Discussions