Sup brahs?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don’t call me Mr. Congeniality for nothing :)

There’s been plenty of guys using the same brah/bruh/etc. shtick here before. Same result every time so far. They’re quite entertaining for a while, but the trolling gets old and they get banned. Playing the law of averages, as called across the pond, I’m going to go ahead and say I can see where it’s going to lead to. Maybe I’m wrong. But I haven’t been wrong about this yet.

I'd rather have this type of post than the ones where they rubbish every style they don't do as being 'fake', tell newbies to the site they are doing the wrong thing, then start have temper tantrums when they are called out. That's unpleasant as well as extremely childish. The thing is these days the way many people speak is extremely odd to the oldies. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd rather have this type of post than the ones where they rubbish every style they don't do as being 'fake', tell newbies to the site they are doing the wrong thing, then start have temper tantrums when they are called out. That's unpleasant as well as extremely childish. The thing is these days the way many people speak is extremely odd to the oldies. :)
I agree 100%. You’re not going to get any counterpoints to that.

Plenty of people have come here with the “Sup Brah” shtick and have been nothing but trolls. I can’t remember the last one’s name, but he was asking about steroids and the like. He was clearly just having what he thought was fun. I’m pretty sure this one’s not much different. Not as extreme, not yet anyway, but he’s not for real.

Just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last one’s name, but he was asking about steroids and the like.

I have seen a couple of other sites where asking about steroids is the norm, along with a lot of macho posing.
At least the 'sup brah' is better than text speak lol, I may be one of the few that write sentences and use punctuation when writing text messages! :D

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you feel is the cartilage in your nose not bone. The main difference between bone and cartilage is that bone is a hard and rigid tissue, whereas the cartilage is a soft, elastic and flexible tissue. The cartilage is present in the ears, nose, and joints of the body, whereas bones make up the skeletal system of the body.
There's cartilage and bone
Nasal bone - Wikipedia

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+
So if Women's self defense is a joke how do I make it better?

Ah now that is a very good question!
Not all women's self defence is rubbish, there's some good stuff out there. It has to be seen from a female point of view if you are doing it for women rather than just general self defence.
Another thing to remember is that 80% of attacks on women are made by people the women either knows or has encountered before, the stranger attack scenario is less common than many imagine. something that has to be emphasised is that whatever the women under attack does is likely to be the best thing for her, some women feel they can fight back, some will attempt to talk other just literally switch off and wait for it to be over. You'll hear people say 'fighting back makes it worse' and 'if you didn't fight back you are to blame as well', as well as blaming what women wear and do as 'asking for it'.

Women's self defence is so much more than just learning techniques ( which actually have to be trained over and over again until they are instinctive) it has to address women's fears as well as their capabilities, rather than just wade in with lots of techniques that look impressive. Women also need to know that the techniques they do learn work and that they hurt! No unresisting partners, they need to be 'shout and profanity proof' as well, often a strong verbal attack can make people freeze. Being struck can make people freeze not just women, so 'strike proof' so they know, yes that hurt like hell but I can manage that. No fancy techniques that have to be set or ones that are ' when he puts his left arm here and right arm you can do this...…..' The main purpose of women's self defence is to enable women to do the right things so they can escape, not get into a full scale fight but escape to safety.

So a few points to look for when choosing somewhere to train women's self defence. From a female instructor of women's self defence.

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
+

Ah now that is a very good question!
Not all women's self defence is rubbish, there's some good stuff out there. It has to be seen from a female point of view if you are doing it for women rather than just general self defence.
Another thing to remember is that 80% of attacks on women are made by people the women either knows or has encountered before, the stranger attack scenario is less common than many imagine. something that has to be emphasised is that whatever the women under attack does is likely to be the best thing for her, some women feel they can fight back, some will attempt to talk other just literally switch off and wait for it to be over. You'll hear people say 'fighting back makes it worse' and 'if you didn't fight back you are to blame as well', as well as blaming what women wear and do as 'asking for it'.

Women's self defence is so much more than just learning techniques ( which actually have to be trained over and over again until they are instinctive) it has to address women's fears as well as their capabilities, rather than just wade in with lots of techniques that look impressive. Women also need to know that the techniques they do learn work and that they hurt! No unresisting partners, they need to be 'shout and profanity proof' as well, often a strong verbal attack can make people freeze. Being struck can make people freeze not just women, so 'strike proof' so they know, yes that hurt like hell but I can manage that. No fancy techniques that have to be set or ones that are ' when he puts his left arm here and right arm you can do this...…..' The main purpose of women's self defence is to enable women to do the right things so they can escape, not get into a full scale fight but escape to safety.

So a few points to look for when choosing somewhere to train women's self defence. From a female instructor of women's self defence.

So can I do anything to contribute, because I'm not a woman last time I checked

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can I do anything to contribute, because I'm not a woman last time I checked

It depends on what capacity you want to help, as an instructor or to help a female look for good quality training? Do you know enough martial arts to be able to teach... at this point.. simple distraction techniques to enable someone to escape perhaps. Another thing you could do is offer to be a resisting partner for someone to practice on!
I'm not sure, without knowing what you already know, what I can actually suggest at this moment but hopefully we can get a good discussion going with other posters!

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
It depends on what capacity you want to help, as an instructor or to help a female look for good quality training? Do you know enough martial arts to be able to teach... at this point.. simple distraction techniques to enable someone to escape perhaps. Another thing you could do is offer to be a resisting partner for someone to practice on!
I'm not sure, without knowing what you already know, what I can actually suggest at this moment but hopefully we can get a good discussion going with other posters!

I mean I got started by trying to get my girl some self defense techniques, but apparently those aren't worth anything lol. I don't know enough martial arts to be able to teach, but that's definitely a goal. My priority right now is to get some decent training for her, until I have mastered all the arts to become an instructor

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean I got started by trying to get my girl some self defense techniques, but apparently those aren't worth anything lol. I don't know enough martial arts to be able to teach, but that's definitely a goal. My priority right now is to get some decent training for her, until I have mastered all the arts to become an instructor
Yea, it just doesn't work that way. Nothing even close.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While ambition is usually a good thing perhaps lower your sights a bit and start by being good at one style? You don't need for example to a master of all the different styles of karate and TKD and kick boxing. You don't need to become a master of all the ground style. Pick something you really enjoy, that has a good instructor you get on with and stick with that, you'll find there is more than enough in most styles to get you going for a lifetime. Be looked up to for knowing your style thoroughly rather than someone who rushed through many and didn't actually learn much because life is a lot shorter than you think.

BJJ is actually a good style for women's self defence, doesn't teach what you'd call 'self defence' classes but has valuable techniques for women and makes them comfortable in close body situations where panicking is likely.

Latest Discussions