Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's part of the 'Journey to the West', isn't it...? What's the connection between that and the 'Story of the Stone?'

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's part of the 'Journey to the West', isn't it...? What's the connection between that and the 'Story of the Stone?'

Yes it is part of the it is part of the Journey to the West.

The only connection I know to a stone is that Sun Wukong came form a stone. He was also imprisoned under a mountain by Buddha.

Journey to the West

Journey to the West - Outline in English and some chapters in Chinese (that I cannot read)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it is part of the it is part of the Journey to the West.

The only connection I know to a stone is that Sun Wukong came form a stone. He was also imprisoned under a mountain by Buddha.

Journey to the West

Journey to the West - Outline in English and some chapters in Chinese (that I cannot read)

The Story of the Stone is another name for the Dream of the Red Chamber, and was translated into English with the former title. I haven't read it, but I've heard quite a bit about it...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Both stories are considered part of a set called the Four Great Classical Novels. The full set is:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (14th century)
Water Margin (13th - 15th century)
Journey to the West (16th century)
Dream of the Red Chamber (18th century)

Up until the Dream of the Red Chamber was written the list was slightly different and called Four Major Novels of Wonder. It included the following;

The Plum in the Golden Vase (17th Century)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From this it would appear that the only connection is it is considered a classic of Chinese literature and they are both fiction. Also they both come from the Ming Dynasty

Both stories are considered part of a set called the Four Great Classical Novels. The full set is:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (14th century)
Water Margin (13th - 15th century)
Journey to the West (16th century)
Dream of the Red Chamber (18th century)

Up until the Dream of the Red Chamber was written the list was slightly different and called Four Major Novels of Wonder. It included the following;

The Plum in the Golden Vase (17th Century)

Ah, thanks, guys—that answers my question! :)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been fascinated with Sun Wukung ever since I saw a magnificent 1970s Japanese TV show called, oddly enough, Monkey. You guys in the US would only have seen this in the last few years. Its worth a look just for the comic twist given to the story. The fights scenes are not that good. Here is the introduction.

"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned. Heavens sought order. But the phoenix can fly only when its feathers are grown. The four worlds formed again and yet again, as endless aeons wheeled and passed. Time and the pure essences of Heaven, the moisture of the Earth, the powers of the Sun and the Moon all worked upon a certain rock, old as creation. And it became magically fertile. That first egg was named "Thought". Tathagata Buddha, the Father Buddha, said, "With our thoughts, we make the World". Elemental forces caused the egg to hatch. From it came a stone monkey. The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!"

By the way Water Margin is a damn fine read as well.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was in Beijing I watched a NEW television series that was the Journey to the West and according to my relatives the lead was being played by the son of one of the most famous Beijing opera stars that made his career playing Sun Wukong. Apparently the son was doing the same and he was doing a damn fine job. I understood little of it but I tried not to miss a single episode it was so cool.

They (Beijing TV) put just about every old TV show on VCD so when I go back I am going to see if it is out yet and if so buy it.

My Mandarin has arrived when I can sit down and watch that series and understand every single word. :)

Latest Discussions