Stupid Lawsuit. Man Sues White Castle For Too Small Booths

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even though we live in a supersized world, bigger is not always better. One devoted White Castle customer is suing the restaurant chain because he can't fit into the restaurant's booths. Martin Kessman, who weighs 290 pounds, complained to management for more than two years after repeatedly knocking his knee into the tables' metal supports.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...castle-because-over-booth-size-160126946.html

You watch the video the responses are apt... one guy said: "the booths aren't too small... you're just too fat!" ... at 290 pounds I'd have to agree.
Another comment said he wanted to file a lawsuit against frivolous lawsuits... wonder if it can be made a class action suit, I'd be in on that one... these nit-picking, whiny, me me me, I want I want I need type of lawsuits are just plain stupid. Sheesh!

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
LOL!!! Should get a thin person to sue Subway because he can't get his seatbelt tight enough. That would make news! (Totally joking btw)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I were going to open a burger joint, I'd get extra heavy duty chairs with wide seats, larger tables and make the booths bigger. And then I'd advertise them.

"Come on down to Steve's Burgers, home of the Double, Double Bacon Double Guacamole Burger. You'll always have a place to sit with oversized booths and chairs guaranteed to hold up 500 lbs or up to a 60" waist."

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if he's any relation to the lady that sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on her lap

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
absolutely amazing!!

its like the lawsuits against the car companies where larger people cant buckle the seat belt of an economy size car. I cant fit in a Smart Car...doesnt mean im going to sue the company for it. I know i cant fit so ill just get something bigger.

B

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
this wasn't a frivolous lawsuit. Look it up.

Borderline...
From what I gathered, it was the uncaring attitude that got Mickey D's in trouble, more than the fact that the coffee was hot...(and I still can't understand why somebody would park hot coffee in their lap....any coffee I ever got in a drive through was too hot to drink fr almost an hour after purchase...not something I would want to sit on!)

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Borderline...
From what I gathered, it was the uncaring attitude that got Mickey D's in trouble, more than the fact that the coffee was hot...(and I still can't understand why somebody would park hot coffee in their lap....any coffee I ever got in a drive through was too hot to drink fr almost an hour after purchase...not something I would want to sit on!)
Uncaring? Probably incredulous was the attitude since it's a DUH factor that coffee is never served cold (except for ICED coffee).
I read about a judge in England that threw a case out of his court-room because a lady had tried to do the same thing with hot tea. He told her that she should've bloody well known that tea is usually served hot and that she needed to be careful with it and not spill it.

Called common sense... why are they putting warnings on table saw blades that read: "do not touch blade while in operation" I mean DUH people... DUH!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uncaring? Probably incredulous was the attitude since it's a DUH factor that coffee is never served cold (except for ICED coffee).
I read about a judge in England that threw a case out of his court-room because a lady had tried to do the same thing with hot tea. He told her that she should've bloody well known that tea is usually served hot and that she needed to be careful with it and not spill it.

Called common sense... why are they putting warnings on table saw blades that read: "do not touch blade while in operation" I mean DUH people... DUH!!

My sentiments. But if the company would have acted as if they cared....

The break down of the case made actually sense, but in the end, however sorry I was to hear the lady had 3rd degree burns on her tush....you just don't park stuff that does not become you right there. Hot beverages or lit cigs...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Borderline...
Yeah. Okay. Nevermind. I'm not up for an argument about this.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Okay. Nevermind. I'm not up for an argument about this.

Well, the Jury found Mickey D's liable. So what else is there to say?
(I think the money awarded amounted to like 1% of the daily coffee cash flow....eye opening!)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
this wasn't a frivolous lawsuit. Look it up.

That was her being careless. Yeah, I know the coffee was hot and she got burned, but who the **** puts foam cup between their legs? And if you do, dont squeeze hard enough to break the cup or spill the coffee.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for this suit...its ********! Sit at a table then if you're too big for a booth. Whats this world coming to? Maybe they should start putting up signs that read, "This booth reserved for people over 300lbs" Yeah, imagine the **** that would start. LOL.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That was her being careless. Yeah, I know the coffee was hot and she got burned, but who the **** puts foam cup between their legs? And if you do, dont squeeze hard enough to break the cup or spill the coffee.
She didn't win the suit because she proved she wasn't careless. She won because she was able to establish that, in spite of her carelessness, McDs was liable.

Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm no fan of frivolous lawsuits. We have a mechanism in place where suits without grounds can be thrown out. However, the ability to sue is pretty much the only recourse that people have against institutions. While we can certainly weed out the suits that are filed on dubious grounds, my opinion is that we have a system and if a suit makes it to court, there must be something to it.

And the facts of Stella Liebeck's case that are easily found on the web do nothing to change my mind.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As for this suit...its ********! Sit at a table then if you're too big for a booth. Whats this world coming to? Maybe they should start putting up signs that read, "This booth reserved for people over 300lbs" Yeah, imagine the **** that would start. LOL.
I think the point is that White Castle is in the business of helping people get fat. Fat people and stoned college kids are their biggest demographics.

While the lawsuit will never see the inside of a courtroom, this does point out a lack of regard White Castle has for its biggest fans. As I said before, I'd make supersized tables and proudly put stickers on them saying something like, "Please reserve this table for our biggest eaters." :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the point is that White Castle is in the business of helping people get fat. Fat people and stoned college kids are their biggest demographics.

While the lawsuit will never see the inside of a courtroom, this does point out a lack of regard White Castle has for its biggest fans. As I said before, I'd make supersized tables and proudly put stickers on them saying something like, "Please reserve this table for our biggest eaters." :)

LOL!!!

Think the guy will get a few freebies along with his special fat-boy booth?

(booth are actually rather uncomfortable...even for skinny people like myself)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
She didn't win the suit because she proved she wasn't careless. She won because she was able to establish that, in spite of her carelessness, McDs was liable. Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm no fan of frivolous lawsuits. We have a mechanism in place where suits without grounds can be thrown out. However, the ability to sue is pretty much the only recourse that people have against institutions. While we can certainly weed out the suits that are filed on dubious grounds, my opinion is that we have a system and if a suit makes it to court, there must be something to it. And the facts of Stella Liebeck's case that are easily found on the web do nothing to change my mind.
I agree Steve..the coffee was hot.....probably hotter than it should've been. But let's be honest....I still maintain that she was careless. Do you think she was going to admit it? Of course not...lol. you put a steaming coffee cup between your legs......sorry she has no common sense. If I run on ice I don't need a sign to warn me I may slip...lol....its common sense...you know....that thing some people like her are lacking.
I think the point is that White Castle is in the business of helping people get fat. Fat people and stoned college kids are their biggest demographics. While the lawsuit will never see the inside of a courtroom, this does point out a lack of regard White Castle has for its biggest fans. As I said before, I'd make supersized tables and proudly put stickers on them saying something like, "Please reserve this table for our biggest eaters." :)
And so is every other fast food place. Yeah we've had this discussion....these places do offer a healthier option but let's be real here.....mcdonalds, bk or dairy queen are not in business to make people healthy. Any one who thinks that is crazy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree Steve..the coffee was hot.....probably hotter than it should've been. But let's be honest....I still maintain that she was careless. Do you think she was going to admit it? Of course not...lol. you put a steaming coffee cup between your legs......sorry she has no common sense.
I don't disagree at all, although I am a little more forgiving of senior citizens and their "senior moments." She was 79, making $5k/year as a clerk in a retail store. I'm willing to give her a pass. There's a reason people argue for annual driving exams for seniors.

Also, I hope it's clear that I agree she was careless. But the facts remain that in spite of her carelessness, a jury found McDs to be at fault. If it were a frivolous lawsuit, she wouldn't have won her case. Or is your faith in our system so low that you believe frivolous suits are not only heard in court, but won by undeserving plaintiffs?
If I run on ice I don't need a sign to warn me I may slip...lol....its common sense...you know....that thing some people like her are lacking.And so is every other fast food place. Yeah we've had this discussion....these places do offer a healthier option but let's be real here.....mcdonalds, bk or dairy queen are not in business to make people healthy. Any one who thinks that is crazy.
Actually, I've always wondered why fast food and healthy food have to be mutually exclusive? I like places like Baja Fresh, Chipotle and Panera. Subway's not too bad, although I don't like that all their meat is processed.

But you're right. White Castle is a BURGER joint. Embrace it. Love it. If I eat ice cream, I eat the real deal. I don't drink light beer. And when I want a burger, I want it to have a name like "slider" or "animal style." :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't disagree at all, although I am a little more forgiving of senior citizens and their "senior moments." She was 79, making $5k/year as a clerk in a retail store. I'm willing to give her a pass. There's a reason people argue for annual driving exams for seniors.

LOL...sure, I suppose a pass could be given.

Also, I hope it's clear that I agree she was careless. But the facts remain that in spite of her carelessness, a jury found McDs to be at fault. If it were a frivolous lawsuit, she wouldn't have won her case. Or is your faith in our system so low that you believe frivolous suits are not only heard in court, but won by undeserving plaintiffs?Actually, I've always wondered why fast food and healthy food have to be mutually exclusive? I like places like Baja Fresh, Chipotle and Panera. Subway's not too bad, although I don't like that all their meat is processed.

Like I said, I'm not saying McDonalds was free on blame. On the contrary, if in fact the coffee was hotter than the standard for restaurants (if there is a standard, I honestly dont know) then yes, they are part at fault. As I said above, we could chalk this to a Sr. moment, but IMO, that shouldnt take the full blame off of her. I mean if that was the case, then everyone over, say 60, would be exempt from any and all screw ups.

As for my faith in the system....no its not that high, because many times, the 'victim' should never have won in the first place. I'm sure we've both seen lists of crazy cases in which people won millions. I mean, are we so far gone as a society, that we can't take blame for our actions? That we instead, have to sue, because we were careless and are too proud to admit it? It should be a no brainer that in the dead of winter, the entry way to a store will be wet from the melting snow people track in, and despite the store putting up signs and having someone mop the floor, that it still may be wet, yet should I sue because I dont proceed with caution? I shouldn't sue McDonalds, because I choke on a bite of burger, when I was shoveling the food into my mouth so fast and not chewing enough before swallowing. Should I sue because the burger was too big? I'm sure some people would. LOL.

But you're right. White Castle is a BURGER joint. Embrace it. Love it. If I eat ice cream, I eat the real deal. I don't drink light beer. And when I want a burger, I want it to have a name like "slider" or "animal style." :)

LOL! Hey, I'm far from a perfect eater. But *I* take responsibility for what I eat. If I eat nothing but junk, its my fault. I'm not going to sue the burger joint because I gained 50lbs. The workers of the burger joint didn't hold a gun to my head and threaten my family if I didn't eat there. We as humans should be taking responsibility for our own actions. I know, I'm asking for alot here, but its the truth. :)

Latest Discussions