Student sparring

rip_dorey

White Belt
Reaction score
My post was in response to Rip's which seemed to indicate that an instructor is not doing his job if they did not spar with the studenst. My point was there are lots of ways to get the job done and provided some examples.

This did not advocate any contrary position with regard to instructors not sparring ith students. It is great if you can and if it serves a purpose. It's also great that you are the best and able to provide appropriate feedback. Will you still be the best in 10,20, or 30 years? I have had some great instructors over 70, and over 80. I would not expect them to spar, nor imply that they failed to do their job if they did not.

I believe that instructors who are in their 70s, 80s do not take part in sparring classes and they should not run those classes. Saying how somebody should do something and showing it is a big difference...

I meant before, instructors who are able to spar, if they can kick and move and if they run sparring classes, it's their obligation to spar with their students. Also they should take active part in the classes by training with others. Otherwise they end up as obese instructors, who can't move, kick and just collect a school fee... Also if instructors want to stay fit, they are supposed to challenge themselves as somebody already mentioned.

There are dojangs where the most important are poomsae and demo. Situation here is the same. Master needs to show how to perform poomsae and a demo technique, or at least there should be a skillful student who can show it for him...

I have seen to many dojangs where instructors just blow the whistle and level of the students in those dojangs is just pathetic.

Last year I sparred with an ex-military world champion who was then 52 years old. He used his expierience and superb technique to completely dominate me. Here is a video of him(Kang Jong Kil):

I have to add that I'm not somebody with no fighting expierience...

Also my dojang master is 44 and he can still defeat at least 90% of his students without hurting them too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well tonight in my classes we worked on sparring WTF style and were oddnumbered. So i jumped in and worked with a few students and man did it feel good as i don't get to spar as much anymore. Any other instructors spar with their students to get a little workout in?
I teach the classes most of the time. But every once in a while, I'll gear up and let everyone know that the old man still has a move or two left in him. :lol:

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Myself and all of my instructors spar constantly with the students. We have mostly kids, and only one in a mid-belt level (purple). On nights we get 3 or 4 new kids join, we'll spar each other to get the kids more excited. We get a good work out, and the kids get to see something more than two 11 year old green belts. I have 2 adults and about 20 or so kids, depending on the night. Only 6 that constantly show up are above white belt. We do let the white belts spar a black belt right before they test.

Latest Discussions