Student Faces Suspension Over Hair Cut

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...tt-bonner-head-could-net-young-013230150.html

A young San Antonio Spurs fan faces an in-school suspension on Thursday if he doesn't somehow find a way to alter the image of Matt Bonner that was shaved into the back of his head. You read the previous sentence correctly. The Spurs forward, who is averaging just 14.6 minutes per game in the postseason, has apparently made such an impact on Woodlake Hills Middle School student Patrick Gonzalez that the youngster decided to have a hairstylist shave an image of the Spurs sharpshooter into the back of his haircut. Via Tas Melas, here's the image that has the principals at Woodlake Hills Middle School in righteous fear of the apparently inevitable anarchy and lawlessness in the school halls that will result if Gonzalez comes to school on Thursday without changing the haircut:

While I personally wouldn't have this cut into my hair, I think the reaction of the school is a bit over the top.

Because the image is so threatening, and so severe, if the style isn't "fixed" by Thursday, Gonzalez will have to take in an in-school suspension (the worst of all suspensions, because you don't get to go home and watch TV), because that seems very rational and fair to all the children

The inevitable anarcy and lawlessness? Really? LOL!

Thoughts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like as American we are doing what the soviets did all those years and that is police every little thing. Nobody can have there own since of style anymore. What can it possibly hurt to cut his hair that way? I mean is America not the hand of the free?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What?

A hair cut?
That won't look like that in a week, two, tops....

I have to say that stylist is GOOD! That cut is a work of ART.

And why is it verboten? It's a guy's face,
Severe and threatening?!!
gawd, sometimes I hate people...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two quick thoughts. The school administrators have created a much larger distraction out of this than the simple interesting novelty that it was. And, this one is a guess, maybe the administrators are big Spurs fans and think that by making a big issue out of this that the basketball player will visit the school and they can meet him.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two quick thoughts. The school administrators have created a much larger distraction out of this than the simple interesting novelty that it was. And, this one is a guess, maybe the administrators are big Spurs fans and think that by making a big issue out of this that the basketball player will visit the school and they can meet him.

I don't really put this much imagination in to school admins heads, really...

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The reaction and comments made by the school administration over a simple haircut is just ridiculous. Get over it, it's just hair and will grow out in a week or so. He could've had a lot worse stuff shaved into his head and I do mean ALOT worse.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is merely a comment on the state of the U.S. today, brought about in large part by our extremely litiginous society and poor judicial system. Zero tolerance is the norm in our school systems today, because common sense leads to law suits. If something falls outside the established rules, there is no room anymore for decision making, it is simply outlawed. Doesn't matter if it is a nazi swastika or a picture of Matt Bonner. It's outside the limits so it is not allowed.

While it is ridiculous in the extreme, it is patently unfair to blame the school's administration. Blame instead the idiot parents that are willing, and able, to bring on a lawsuit whenever they disagree with a decision by those school administrators. They are the ones that have driven us to have these 'zero tolerance' policies. This is because with a 'zero tolerance' policy, it takes the decision-making away from the administrator, and places it on the school board which approved the policy. So, the administrator cannot be held liable in a lawsuit no matter how stupid the decision may be.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This suddenly made me remember that one of my own class mates from Middle School was suspended because of his hair cut which was seen as 'gang related'. And this was twenty years ago, give or take a couple. If I remember correctly he had short dreadlocks.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this really seems very like the practices of former Eastern-Block . Where boys who wore their hair like the Beatles would be suspended from school &#1086;r/and would have their whole hair shaved. Where did freedom of expresion go ? The boy didn't weat a swastika on his head.

Latest Discussions