Stronghand to weakhand transitions?

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was taught a long time ago to slice the pie on right corners with gun in the left hand and lefthand corners with gun in the right. With the idea to maximize cover. Fastforward to today. I'm finding an overwhelming majority of shooters in IDPA staying stronghand unless the COF dictates to shoot weakhand.

I'm finding that when shooting pistol, it doesn't really expose you as much as a long gun around a corner. What is your take, do you switch hands when taking corners?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if you can hit with it. ;)

If you aren't as fast or as accurate on the off-hand, I wouldnt bother unless injury made it necessary.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm accurate enough with the offhand, but not as fast.

The primary reason is to maximize cover. Do this...assuming your right handed, go to a doorway with a rifle or shotgun and aim around the right corner. Note how much you have to lean out to see what you need to see. Now switch it to the left hand and note the same. In the end though, does it really matter? In todays world of thin drywall and particle board doors, there really isn't any hard cover anyways!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll switch with a shoulder weapon, but with a handgun, I'd be hard pressed to switch to my off hand. Just a matter of control.

Jeff

Latest Discussions