Striking is Inefficient?

T

tmanifold

Unfortunatly the army just does what is in vogue. I remember reading an military H2H manual that said "never take the enemy to the ground with a throw or take down because you will just have to hit him when you get down there, you may as well do it standing and save the time." I also remember reading one that stress that you should never kick.

The plain fact of the matter is that soldiers are effective because of who they are. There are in good shape, really aggressive, sometimes mean and operate in a kind of controlled violence at all times. They also tend to drink alot, which means lots of fights. They are also used to fighting through pain to accomplish an objective.

I like the control aspect of ground fight in as well as the chokes, for CQB but if they think that I would attempt Juji gatame on a battle field, somebody has changed the rules because the generals are smokin some serious ganga.

Tony

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by tmanifold

Unfortunatly the army just does what is in vogue. I remember reading an military H2H manual that said "never take the enemy to the ground with a throw or take down because you will just have to hit him when you get down there, you may as well do it standing and save the time." I also remember reading one that stress that you should never kick.

The plain fact of the matter is that soldiers are effective because of who they are. There are in good shape, really aggressive, sometimes mean and operate in a kind of controlled violence at all times. They also tend to drink alot, which means lots of fights. They are also used to fighting through pain to accomplish an objective.

I like the control aspect of ground fight in as well as the chokes, for CQB but if they think that I would attempt Juji gatame on a battle field, somebody has changed the rules because the generals are smokin some serious ganga.

Tony
A lot of soldiers drink?

Drink occassionaly, but not drunk from my experience, but you may be right.

When I was serving, pretty much all of us were pretty disciplined. Those who did get drunk did get punished.

T

tmanifold

Originally posted by MartialArtist

A lot of soldiers drink?

Drink occassionaly, but not drunk from my experience, but you may be right.

When I was serving, pretty much all of us were pretty disciplined. Those who did get drunk did get punished.

Most of the infanteers I served with drank, alot. Not on duty mind you but after hours, in the mess or the local bars. Some were worse than others. For exampe, the americans less so than us and the brits a lot more than us.

Tony

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by tmanifold

Most of the infanteers I served with drank, alot. Not on duty mind you but after hours, in the mess or the local bars. Some were worse than others. For exampe, the americans less so than us and the brits a lot more than us.

Tony
wow

H

hand2handCombat

i wouldnt roll around if there where a bunch of debris. id say for most MAist, the first choice will be to strike then take it to the ground later on. its hard to overcome an opponent with grappling at first. striking will take all the sh*t out of him and grapplle will finish it off. its more of like a tag in thing. one art does its thing and the other will do its

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Bod

I would prefer to grapple if I was in the army, because rolling around on the floor might reduce my chances of getting shot or blown up, compared to fighting standing up.
Rolling around on the floor. Hmmmm... Not very practical if you look at the strategies of modern warfare. Unless you were on a special mission where you leave most of your gear behind, rolling around at all is very difficult to do. With gear and magazines, it's very different.

T

tmanifold

One of the problems with grappling for the army is that it is slow. Military techniques should be fast and vicious. If groudfighting was involved ground and pound would probably be best. Also as an infanteer I usally carried at least two knives on me. My Bayonet (which isn't always on the rifle) a tactical folder and sometimes a sheath knife. Most infantry man will carry something along those lines. So while the phatasian soldier is trying to choke me or whatever, I am driveing my blade into as many places I can get at.

I like standing fighting for Military combat but grappling should always be taught to help combat Mr. Murphy.

Tony

Latest Discussions