Positional Strategy

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by dcence
I don't think Kenpo has a litany list of relative positions ranked according to one being better than the other. Kenpo addresses it more in an analytical method in the self defense considerations, environment, range, position, stances, manuevers.... And then within the range factor you have the dimensional stages of range.

A fight is too dynamic to say in every instance one position is better than the other. For example, it may be better generally to be on the outside of the opponent's attack, but not if moving there puts you closer to the opponent's friend who is also ready to clock you. In that instance, you would want to be on the inside of the opponent's attack to provide a blockade or buffer to the other potential attacker. That is where environment will trump position.

Derek Ence

I gotta say we're on the same page with this Derek. I've got no preference to position other than environment, and to control my opponent(s) within them. But did you like my strategic hierarchy LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

D

dcence

Oh yeah, other than the uneasiness of you and me actually agreeing on something, I do like the pizza and liquid refreshment zone of sanctuary. LOL

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcence
I don't think Kenpo has a litany list of relative positions ranked according to one being better than the other. Kenpo addresses it more in an analytical method in the self defense considerations, environment, range, position, stances, manuevers.... And then within the range factor you have the dimensional stages of range.

A fight is too dynamic to say in every instance one position is better than the other. For example, it may be better generally to be on the outside of the opponent's attack, but not if moving there puts you closer to the opponent's friend who is also ready to clock you. In that instance, you would want to be on the inside of the opponent's attack to provide a blockade or buffer to the other potential attacker. That is where environment will trump position.

Derek Ence
Actualy environment trumps position every time.

Latest Discussions