Storms

R

Rob_Broad

What is your favorite "Storm" technique in American kenpo and why?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure that I would have a favorite. My pick would be Securing, or Obstructing. Those are two good techniques.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Ah, this is defending against one, not using one, then.

Thats right, 'storm' denotes a technique where you will dedend yourself against an attack with a club, or club like weapon, as already stated.

While this will usually be an overhead attack, it could also be a roundhouse or thrusting attack.

In the AKKI, we use the term 'tempest' to indicate a club technique that is offensive, rather than defensive.

The AKKI Club Syllabus (1st Level) can be viewed on my website, http://www.americankenpo.co.uk

Les

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by arnisador

Ah, this is defending against one, not using one, then.

Well in form 7 arent there are actually storm techniques that are attacks?!!?!?!?

Anyone??

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
returning and defying the storm, because to me they seem a bit more realistic and effective than the others. a bit more violent as well.

i also feel more comfortable with them.

OP
B

brianhunter

I would have to say defying as well!I like the arm break you can slip in

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by brianhunter

Well in form 7 arent there are actually storm techniques that are attacks?!!?!?!?

Anyone??

Could you clairfy what you mean? Form 7 is the 2 stick form and thus of cource you are using sticks to attack.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Elfan

Could you clairfy what you mean? Form 7 is the 2 stick form and thus of cource you are using sticks to attack.

right but Im asking isn't the form broken down into technique names?? Like Five Stoms??

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think my favorite storm techniques in the Kenpo system would be Obstructing the Storm and Circling the Storm.

I like Obstructing because it is very quick and to the point. It also teaches about crossing the center-line, etc...

I like Circling the Storm because it is a bit of a challenge. Always like the challenging ones! :)

Respectfully In Kenpo,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

Hi Folks!
I hate the use of the term "stick" to describe a Club. Mr. Parker used the term "club" because it had a more violent and dangerous connotation.
I'm reminded of George Carlin's famous comparsion between football and baseball "in football, you use a HELMET, in baseball, you wear a CAP!" well..."In arnis, you use a stick! in kenpo, you weild a CLUB!" as I always use for the motto of AKWS [American Kenpo Weapons Systems] "you STICK them with a KNIFE and you CLUB them to DEATH"
...such a lovely phrase.
So, in closing, please refrain from using the term "stick" when refering to the "club" defenses and attacks.
:::getting off my soapbox now::::soapbox:
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by KENPOJOE

Hi Folks!
I hate the use of the term "stick" to describe a Club. Mr. Parker used the term "club" because it had a more violent and dangerous connotation.
I'm reminded of George Carlin's famous comparsion between football and baseball "in football, you use a HELMET, in baseball, you wear a CAP!" well..."In arnis, you use a stick! in kenpo, you weild a CLUB!" as I always use for the motto of AKWS [American Kenpo Weapons Systems] "you STICK them with a KNIFE and you CLUB them to DEATH"
...such a lovely phrase.
So, in closing, please refrain from using the term "stick" when refering to the "club" defenses and attacks.
KENPOJOE

I usually, when I can remember, use the term "club" to refer to anything that you can club someone with. A log, shovel, chair, the mini speaker by my PC etc. I use the term "stick" to refer to the custum made clubs that are designed for hurting people. That make sense?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by KENPOJOE

Hi Folks!
...such a lovely phrase.
KENPOJOE

Tell us more about the American kenpo Weapons System

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by tarabos

hey rob...you never told us your favorite...

I guess my favourite storm technique would be Calming the Storm, it is simple and effective.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In FMA stick often means sword. We think of it as if it were a bladed weapon.

Dr. Gyi says overwhelmingly these types of attack are made with a shovel or similar implement.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Clipping the Storm personally, chance for some fast handwork, street applicable and end in a sweep, always a good combination!

Brian in our club has a way of doing Returning the Storm, where instead of ending with the roundhouse kick, he just bears down on your arm until you go face first into the floor, that always seem to work exceptionally well, although it's dis-orientating to experience at speed!

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

I like Clipping the Storm personally, chance for some fast handwork, street applicable and end in a sweep, always a good combination! Ian.

Aren't all of your techniques 'street applicable' then? :confused:

Les

Latest Discussions