• Charging Ram

• Intercepting the ram

• Broken Ram

• I like them all

• I hate them all

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

Rob_Broad

What is your favorite Ram technique in American Kenpo. Please explain your choice.

OP
K

Kirk

I can't vote. I've only been taught Charging Ram ... hard
technique!!!!!!! My instructor even said it NEEDS to be practiced
A LOT!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey I like the Bear and the Ram the best :))

even though it's not on the poll..

being held in a bear hug with arms free.. being punched from the front.. you can take em both down with ease :)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

The reason I didn't put any of the 2 person techniques in was because they are not against true tackles.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Intercepting the Ram, Why, because my opinion is that it's the most true to form. You can't always get out of the way or possibly see a tackle coming. If your in a crowded room or just walking somewhere when some moron decides to do a tackle. This tech. really teaches you how to root, bracing angle, angle of incident etc. Just a couple of pennies here.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
K

Kirk

I've seen a lot of takedowns where they charge down, and
go to grab a leg. Do any techs cover this attack?

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

What is your favorite Ram technique in American Kenpo. Please explain your choice.

Broken Ram, You can build good power off the arm break due to stances and positioning. Charging ram has too much of that kicking for me ;)

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Sigung86

St Louis Rams! Why??? I live here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

BAHHHH!!! To bad the Chiefs will stomp you rams in the Govenors cup this year!!

:)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My vote goes for hate them all!

If someone's gonna try and tackle you, I don't see what wrong with a knee or boot to the face!

Ian.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I only know charging ram and I'm not real sure if I believe in it or not. Need to practice it more maybe.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of the advantages to Intercepting the ram is that you can deal with the attacker's forward momentum by getting to him/her before he/she is at full speed, or going for your legs.

Brian Jones

OP
N

new-kenpo-fighter

brianhunter said:
BAHHHH!!! To bad the Chiefs will stomp you rams in the Govenors cup this year!!

:)
as far as i can see the chiefs ant´t good this year:)

rams beat :partyon:

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
St Louis Rams! Why??? I live here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan
Don't live in St Louis, but still consider them my team since their L.A. dayz :uhyeah:

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The "Ram" techniques are ineffectual unless the nature of the attack is developed. Is the attitude of the attacker that of a "ram" or a "lamb".
Do you practice "Charging Ram" or "Charging Lamb".

If you practice against an explosive, accelerating tackle which is driving at your centre over a short distance you will get a real feel of this devastating attack.

If you are practising against a "dummy" who shuffles towards you from the other end of the Dojo and will perform (i.e. stop the forward momentum and pose) so that you can " complete the technique sequence" , then you could be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

Oh! sorry back to the poll , lately (last two or three years) I have started to like all the "Rams"

Richi

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kirk said:
I've seen a lot of takedowns where they charge down, and
go to grab a leg. Do any techs cover this attack?

In the AKKI we have a technique called Collapsing Thunder, which is a two handed push attempt, followed by a tackle to the knees. It's in our Green Belt Syllabus.

Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
The "Ram" techniques are ineffectual unless the nature of the attack is developed. Is the attitude of the attacker that of a "ram" or a "lamb".
Do you practice "Charging Ram" or "Charging Lamb".

If you practice against an explosive, accelerating tackle which is driving at your centre over a short distance you will get a real feel of this devastating attack.

If you are practising against a "dummy" who shuffles towards you from the other end of the Dojo and will perform (i.e. stop the forward momentum and pose) so that you can " complete the technique sequence" , then you could be in for a bit of a rude awakening.
Richi

For those of you who have not been lucky enough to train with Richy, let me tell you he has a serious angle on which techniques are actually effective, starting with a full understanding of a 'committed' attack.

He has gone out there and discovered what works, (and what doesn't) and he's right on the button with his comments here.

In my opinion, the Kenpo push and/or grab techniques are too often never learnt correctly because the 'dummy' is not committed in the attack.

Les

Latest Discussions