Sticks are easy to come by

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome. Can you swing your baseball bat in the car? Assuming you are attacked in your car?
I know how to use a baseball bat to fight with without swinging it, that's something you learn if you train in stick fighting, you learn how to thrust, jab, poke, etc. using a stick. Stick fighting isn't just swinging.

Or is it in your trunk, making it useless if you're attacked in your car? What if you've parked in underground parking lot and are 4 blocks away? Do you ask your attacker to wait while you go retrieve your baseball bat?
That's why I train in unarmed fighting first and foremost. But if Im able to access a weapon that would certainly help and sticks are usually one of the easiest weapons to access.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When was the last time you were viciously attacked on a driving range or golf course? In my personal experience, when I have been attacked, it has been in a bar (no easy access to crowbars or tire irons),
Did the bar have pool tables as some bars do? If so you could grab a pool stick.

a parking lot( well ok, once was in a bar fight that spilled out into a parking lot and a tire iron was involved), or on the street( no mops, tennis racquets or fireplace pokers).
Maybe in the parking lot and street where you've been attacked there was no stick like objects to use, aside from the tire iron you mentioned, but the point is that sticks are easier to find than most weapons. You're more likely to find a stick or something that can be used as a stick than a katana or naginata. You should of course be prepared to fight when you don't have any sticks or weapons around which is why I emphasize unarmed fighting as being the most important, but if we're talking about learning weapons I think the stick is a good weapon to learn because its easier to find than most other weapons.

Despite being Canadian, I don't play hockey, so rarely have access to a hockey stick.
Well if you're Canadian that's all the more reason why, in my opinion, you should take up martial arts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This doesn't check out. Even if you don't play hockey yourself, it's my understanding that old hockey sticks are littered all across the streets in Canada.
I've been to Canada, I didn't see hockey sticks all over the streets.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its possible to win the lottery as well.

Any stick you can find in nature that is strong enough to use as a weapon, will be big, heavy and not at all straight.
Even a rolled up newspaper can be used as a stick.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even a rolled up newspaper can be used as a stick.
back in the day, news papers were a favoured weapon of the football hooligan, folded and folded till you can fold no more they make an extremly effective weapon, less stick more a brick made out of paper

Latest Discussions