Steve Arsenault Kenpo Clips

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess it is just a matter of opinion, I find most kenpo demos to be overly choreographed and overtly technical, it looks like, well, a demo not a fight. The whole stone statue thing is annoying as um, heck.

Lamont

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it is just a matter of opinion, I find most kenpo demos to be overly choreographed and overtly technical, it looks like, well, a demo not a fight. The whole stone statue thing is annoying as um, heck.

Lamont
It can be done without losing control.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sean
Again, control wasn't lost, hitting someone is not losing control, hitting someone and hurting them is. It doesn't hurt (no pun intended) to have students that are trained to take hits and know how to absorb shots.

Lamont

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, control wasn't lost, hitting someone is not losing control, hitting someone and hurting them is. It doesn't hurt (no pun intended) to have students that are trained to take hits and know how to absorb shots.

Lamont

No, this is bad. It teaches them unrealistic lessons about what it actually feels like should they ever use this stuff. Wait a minute...

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean
Dave never lost control. He could have hurt me at any time. What he did do is pop me hard enough and manipulate me to go where he wanted me to go. There was momentary discomfort but nothing serious. Dave is not Huk Planas but it felt a lot like Huk doing a technique on me. Momentary discomfort but I'm not injured. That fits my definition of control.

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are refering to Kenpodoc's post, as I was, the judges weren't fooled by that little secret.
Sean
Correct, they were looking for Dance Class and I don't come from a Dance school. It was no problem, we laughed about it and had a good time.

Jeff

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah! lets all do "no touch" Kenpo and then go on the street thinking we can hit someone. Then when we show our art let's NOT hit to show control. Better idea. Let's actually hit each other and not hurt each other. It takes more skill to make contact with no damage than to make no contact at all. Any spaz can miss.

SPAZ!@? You mean it isn't a good idea to practice clawing randomly in the air and punching at invisible targets without any concern whatsoever for proper mechanics while doing so?

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow. This is hilarious.

So, when I was 8 or 9, I totally took this guy's "Little Dragon" classes. Of course, he didn't do much instructing, but would come out once in a while to beat the snot out of some poor brown belt without actually landing a real hit.

He was great with us kids -- very charismatic and entertaining, and he moved so fast that it felt like a movie. But we were all little kids who didn't really get it. And in the case of my parents, neither of whom were fighters, it looked impressive enough to justify the tuition.

But. Uhh. Yeah. I don't remember anything. Except this ridiculous "Star Block" kata that just had you throw blocks up, upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right, then KIAI! Rarely did we do any blocking in response to a simulated strike, except for a little point sparring.

I got reprimanded for basically following through on my punch from horse stance and knocking down a girl in my class. Hey -- when it comes to sparring, I'm no sexist. I've had my clock cleaned by enough girls to know better.

But yeah. This is really funny. The school is literally at a strip mall, between a liquor store and a billiard hall. And he's really good at hawking the merch. I got beat up once in middle school because I was wearing one of his fancy sweatshirts with tigers on them -- the local tough guys wanted a demonstration, and strangely the mystical "star block" failed me. . .

Wow. Thanks for the memories, MT.

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone out there do spontaneous tech lines, we do them in bb class. Sometimes in Brown Belt class. We also strike a lot harder in BB class so you can get a better feel for it. In Sparring advanced classes we agree to more contact to makeit a little more realistic.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there do spontaneous tech lines, we do them in bb class. Sometimes in Brown Belt class. We also strike a lot harder in BB class so you can get a better feel for it. In Sparring advanced classes we agree to more contact to makeit a little more realistic.

We start spontaneous attacks starting at white belt, we almost never do assigned tech lines.

Lamont

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SPAZ!@? You mean it isn't a good idea to practice clawing randomly in the air and punching at invisible targets without any concern whatsoever for proper mechanics while doing so?

No, that's better than a good idea it's a great idea! It's so great almost everyone seems to be doing it. Wait a minute...

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'll be a monkey's bare arsed uncle. Well, what say you brother - shall we jump on the band wagon or fire arrows at the wagon convoy? Me - I'm thinking arrows might be slightly more fun. :p

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'll be a monkey's bare arsed uncle. Well, what say you brother - shall we jump on the band wagon or fire arrows at the wagon convoy? Me - I'm thinking arrows might be slightly more fun. :p

I don't know if the arrows will work. We'd have to make pretty BIG CIRCLES around the wagons to use them :p

mrdankenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I was the attacker in that first video clip. The clip was taken like 14 years ago. I did look a little stiff but I attacked the way I was told to. I take a little offense to the comment on my stance, I don't think my neutral bow looked that bad. I have improved alot since then under a different kenpo orginazation. I'm sorry if I have annoyed people with my stone statue response to the techniques. I just discovered those clips and read the responses and found that I was being trashed almost as much as Arsenault. I was young, nervous and told to just stand there while I got kicked in the groin and stuff. I like to read the responses to the demo's, most of you guys are correct.

Latest Discussions