Steve Arsenault Kenpo Clips

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno. It just seems like the techs go on and on and on, way past the point of having any meaning. This kind of thing has been discussed in the past. I know, the idea is that you "automatically flow into the next move" if something doesn't go right. I just disagree, I think he is taking a whole lot for granted, to work a technique out to move number 58, or so. I mean, I think I saw a couple places where he applied a restraining hold, like an armlock, and then LET THE ARM GO! so he could go back to pummelling the guy, who kindly remained where he was, to be pummelled some more.

I personally think it makes sense to plan techs out to maybe 2 or 3, or perhaps 4 followups, but beyond that, you just absolutely cannot make any assumptions about what will happen, and to where you will "automatically flow" next.

Practicing like this doesn't give you something to flow into if the prior move went wrong. The only way the bad guy will be in place for that next move, is if everything prior went RIGHT. And if it all went right, there is no reason for the tech to still be happening. It should have ended ages ago. It's just making some dangerously false assumptions. If the prior move went wrong, the guy is probably nowhere near where he would need to be for you to flow into the next move.

I just think it's overdone.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno. It just seems like the techs go on and on and on, way past the point of having any meaning. This kind of thing has been discussed in the past. I know, the idea is that you "automatically flow into the next move" if something doesn't go right. I just disagree, I think he is taking a whole lot for granted, to work a technique out to move number 58, or so. I mean, I think I saw a couple places where he applied a restraining hold, like an armlock, and then LET THE ARM GO! so he could go back to pummelling the guy, who kindly remained where he was, to be pummelled some more.

I personally think it makes sense to plan techs out to maybe 2 or 3, or perhaps 4 followups, but beyond that, you just absolutely cannot make any assumptions about what will happen, and to where you will "automatically flow" next.

Practicing like this doesn't give you something to flow into if the prior move went wrong. The only way the bad guy will be in place for that next move, is if everything prior went RIGHT. And if it all went right, there is no reason for the tech to still be happening. It should have ended ages ago. It's just making some dangerously false assumptions. If the prior move went wrong, the guy is probably nowhere near where he would need to be for you to flow into the next move.

I just think it's overdone.
And he is too far away for that Thundering Hammers, breakes posture way too much, and fails to align his body with his outward motion.
Sean

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the comments so far. Also, it seems to me that the back collar grab in clips 2 and 3 would be exceedingly unlikely to work in a real conflict. Also, the attacker in clip one had a poor neutral bow, sorry that bugs me. :)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, Mr. Hawkins, I wanted to thank you for all the excellent kenpo related video clips you have placed on YouTube. I have found them to be an informational and entertaining resource, and I greatly appreciate the effort.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, Mr. Hawkins, I wanted to thank you for all the excellent kenpo related video clips you have placed on YouTube. I have found them to be an informational and entertaining resource, and I greatly appreciate the effort.

I'm glad that the kenpo community is finding them of value. Salute. :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I agree, I do find the clips interesting, even when I am sometimes baffled
icon10.gif

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
I noticed his knee checks and his pinning/checks were not there. Several times he was way too far away from the attacker and could not neutralize other possible attacks.

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score

yes i second that... nice work.. :drinkbeer

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technique demonstration would be much better if the actual attacker... attacked the demonstrator, instead of throw punches feet away from actual contact.

How can you demonstrate a technique or concept of the technique when all you need to really do is stand there and not be hit becuase the attacker isn't really trying to hit? Seems that punches are being thrown just to be thrown, not being thrown to demonstrate how to stop and counter attack the punch.

The grabs are pathetic. The intensity of any of those grabs could be stopped with a well executed fart. LOL.

Demonstration, video of practice? It doesn't matter, perfect practice makes perfect technique, sloppy practice...well thanks for the videos.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He hurries to much and forgets to complete his strikes.

My the 16 year old son entered a self-defense compitition once. Everyone else was do their techniques similarto the demos above. We reviewed the attacks and I told him to be ready because I was going to try to hit him as hard as I could and he should pop me back so I responded appropriately. I thought it went well but he was dramatically down graded for excess violence. (It was a "karate" competition and he didn't draw blood and only bruised me once.)

I still believe that the attacks need to be realistic and the dummies need to avoid the stone statue response to the defense. The defender should pop the stone statue at least hard enough to remind them to move. Also never move faster than your attacker can respond to your defense. I take selfe defense technique practice as the opportunity to learn to manipulate my partner into the positions I want and not as an opportunity to move as quickly as I can.

thanks,

Jeff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He hurries to much and forgets to complete his strikes.

My the 16 year old son entered a self-defense compitition once. Everyone else was do their techniques similarto the demos above. We reviewed the attacks and I told him to be ready because I was going to try to hit him as hard as I could and he should pop me back so I responded appropriately. I thought it went well but he was dramatically down graded for excess violence. (It was a "karate" competition and he didn't draw blood and only bruised me once.)

I still believe that the attacks need to be realistic and the dummies need to avoid the stone statue response to the defense. The defender should pop the stone statue at least hard enough to remind them to move. Also never move faster than your attacker can respond to your defense. I take selfe defense technique practice as the opportunity to learn to manipulate my partner into the positions I want and not as an opportunity to move as quickly as I can.

thanks,

Jeff
Control is a big part of a successful demonstration.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Control is a big part of a successful demonstration.
Sean

He did show control, his dummy is still there and not bleeding.

When we do demos we get people who say "it looks like you are really hitting the other guy." The secret is, we are.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He did show control, his dummy is still there and not bleeding.

When we do demos we get people who say "it looks like you are really hitting the other guy." The secret is, we are.
If you are refering to Kenpodoc's post, as I was, the judges weren't fooled by that little secret.
Sean

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are refering to Kenpodoc's post, as I was, the judges weren't fooled by that little secret.
Sean

Yeah! lets all do "no touch" Kenpo and then go on the street thinking we can hit someone. Then when we show our art let's NOT hit to show control. Better idea. Let's actually hit each other and not hurt each other. It takes more skill to make contact with no damage than to make no contact at all. Any spaz can miss.

Latest Discussions