Static punch vs. dynamic punch

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another forum, people made the following comment.

A: Dear master! If I want to chase my opponent from a long distance, what should I do?
B: We don't assault people by chasing them from a long distance. That's bad MA spirit.
A: But if I want to do it, what should I ... ?
B: Don't, you might be arrested, sued, etc.

Do you think whether you stand still and punch your opponent vs. step in and punch your opponent can make any different in the court?

Will this guy be in big trouble in the court? Your thought?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably depend how the whole activity is perceived. If it looks like he's trying to get away and you're chasing, that's going to be a problem (harder to claim self defense). But if it looks like he's an imminent threat but controls distance, then stepping in to hit is probable less of an issue.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think whether you stand still and punch your opponent vs. step in and punch your opponent can make any different in the court?

That does not matter. What matters is the reason for the punch.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it does not matter, if I walked up to you and punched you, you are entitled to punch me back, if I punch you, you are entitled to punch back, if you knock me to the floor, kick the crap out of me, jump up and down on my chest etc, this is unreasonable.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

A: Dear master! If I want to chase my opponent from a long distance, what should I do?
B: We don't assault people by chasing them from a long distance. That's bad MA spirit.

Obviously the reason matters and there's always the excepting situation. If my fiancee was shot I'd probably chase the guy down for instance, and I'm pretty sure a court would let me free so long as I don't kill the guy. Also if you're law enforcement in pursuit of someone, or in the military or security professions, you have more to focus on then just self-defence.

But excluding the exception to the rule-chasing someone down who's a long distance away, and stepping in to punch someone are two very different things. I could step in to punch someone and still have felt in danger leading up to the punch. If someone's a long distance away, and I am chasing them (meaning they're running away) then that indicates I'm not scared for myself. So it's not self defense (I could have either not approached them, stopped when they ran, or gone in a different direction away from the danger).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You need to be able to explain why your actions were reasonable and proportionate.

So it isn't just what combinations you might have used. It is why you were using them.

E.g. I was in an alley and had to go through the guy to escape.

I really wanted the guys shoes and so said stop resisting and then punched him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it does not matter, if I walked up to you and punched you, you are entitled to punch me back, if I punch you, you are entitled to punch back, if you knock me to the floor, kick the crap out of me, jump up and down on my chest etc, this is unreasonable.
well its not '' unreasonable'' it maybe unlawful which are not really the same thing

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a fight in a ring, the guy is just finishing his job.

More to the question, there is no blanket answer. Situationally, the action of pursuing someone can be used against you in a court of law. If it is done as the continuation of an action to protect yourself in self defense that could be proven as reasonable. If it is done (and seen) as an act of uncontrolled aggression on your part it could get you in trouble.
Legally speaking, reason and intent have more to do with it than the action itself.