State of Mind when Fighting?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. But here's the thingā€¦ you're not on a "fighting" forumā€¦ you're on a martial arts one. So maybe you start to accept that martial arts are a bit more than you understand, and cover a lot more than you realise? Fighting, if it's part of it at all, is nothing but the base level of what's covered in martial arts. And if you're happy staying down at that level, that's fineā€¦ but insisting that others who take a wider, and deeper view, stay where you areā€¦ that's less so.

I am on a fighting thread. So you need to accept something or other.

Anyway your way or the highway with the reasoning that it is what you have always done is not accepting the wider view.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It may be difficult for most people to keep "calm and collected" during situations of high intensity and tension, so I will just say that your state of mind must be such that you tap into your training as if it were second-nature. Needless to say that to arrive at this point, you will have to train. A lot.

The objectives that you will commit yourself to in every scuffle/engagement/fight however, will vary. In real-life self-defense situations on the street or wherever, where essentially you have a street-fight on your hands, you may have to prioritize control and escaping to remove yourself from danger. Someone serving in the force may have to prioritize disabling, maiming, or even killing targets should circumstances require (which may also work for general self-defense, but manslaughter and assault charges because you overdid it are unpleasant). Someone in competitive combat sports will have to mentally note the rules of his art. Is it to deliver a KO hit to the head? Land a number of strikes in good form? In this third case, you will have to focus on winning sport-specifically.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing about state of mind is you don't have time to fix it. So it becomes a bit of a non issue....
|
The time to "fix it" is during karate training. It's the karate mental foundation that carries the day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may be difficult for most people to keep "calm and collected" during situations of high intensity and tension, so I will just say that your state of mind must be such that you tap into your training as if it were second-nature. Needless to say that to arrive at this point, you will have to train. A lot.

The objectives that you will commit yourself to in every scuffle/engagement/fight however, will vary. In real-life self-defense situations on the street or wherever, where essentially you have a street-fight on your hands, you may have to prioritize control and escaping to remove yourself from danger. Someone serving in the force may have to prioritize disabling, maiming, or even killing targets should circumstances require (which may also work for general self-defense, but manslaughter and assault charges because you overdid it are unpleasant). Someone in competitive combat sports will have to mentally note the rules of his art. Is it to deliver a KO hit to the head? Land a number of strikes in good form? In this third case, you will have to focus on winning sport-specifically.

which becomes separate to mindset though. Here you are intellectualising aside from finding a suitable emotional state.

It is an element and relates to mindset though. One effects the other.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
|
The time to "fix it" is during karate training. It's the karate mental foundation that carries the day.

which is why karate dominates the striking styles. And Japan dominates karate?

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
which becomes separate to mindset though. Here you are intellectualising aside from finding a suitable emotional state.

It is an element and relates to mindset though. One effects the other.
This is correct. I was merely stressing that state of mind in this case should not be an end in itself, but a means by which one may achieve his/her immediate objectives and goals in a fight. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The distinction needs to be made between mind-set (internal state during an engagement) and tactical aims (escape, "win", survive, attack, etc). They are not the same thing.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your opinion on state of mind with regards to combat?

Generally speaking, is it better to be angry, energetic, and jacked up with adrenaline to win a fight? Or is it better to be calm, focused, and precise?

I consider this thing to be very very fundamental....
|
So often karate is compared to the common MMA styles based largely on technical comparisons, the physicality. Your question highlights the mental equation which is so over-ridingly important, especially if you are facing a physically domineering opponent.
|
Traditional karate strives for the second supposition you presented, and another posted has commented on what I think is exactly the Japanese karate term (concept) that addresses your question. I like to study & refer to Shotokan karate because the Shotokan curriculum spells out these terms specifically, on mental training & the mental qualities to be developed by the karateka.
|
I'll comment on why the state of mind is important later, like to see / review how some of the other posters respond....

BTW: My reference for the Japanese karate mindset, see Chris Parker, Page 1, 12:45am.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is correct. I was merely stressing that state of mind in this case should not be an end in itself, but a means by which one may achieve his/her immediate objectives and goals in a fight. :)

Yeah if we could be bothered there would be some sort of graph between the mindset and the task. Where one effects the other.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your opinion on state of mind with regards to combat?

Generally speaking, is it better to be angry, energetic, and jacked up with adrenaline to win a fight? Or is it better to be calm, focused, and precise?
|
Here is the original post "problem statement."
The distinction needs to be made between mind-set (internal state during an engagement) and tactical aims (escape, "win", survive, attack, etc). They are not the same thing.
|
Right, I had the same thought, although the tactical aims are relevant. IMO, The OP spoke directly to the "internal state," as you put it.
|
The comments made about the tactical aims, bring out two important point regarding the traditional martial arts. (1) The knowledge & understanding of what exactly the mental dimension in training is, is far less developed than the physical techniques & form. So we shouldn't be surprised when martial artists mix the "internals" with "aims." (2) The comments about the "aims" were important because the mental discipline sought in karate is a package of attributes, which function together & also in a number of ways. So bringing in a separate but inclusive attribute by the posters was very valuable.
|
BTW: I see Shai H. caught this thought as I was typing, that was damn fast....

Last edited:

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
|
Here is the original post "problem statement."

|
Right, I had the same thought, although the tactical aims are relevant. IMO, The OP spoke directly to the "internal state," as you put it.
|
The comments made about the tactical aims, bring out two important point regarding the traditional martial arts. (1) The knowledge & understanding of what exactly the mental dimension in training is, is far less developed than the physical techniques & form. So we shouldn't be surprised when martial artists mix the "internals" with "aims." (2) The comments about the "aims" were important because the mental discipline sought in karate is a package of attributes, which function together & also in a number of ways. So bringing in a separate but inclusive attribute by the posters was very valuable.
|
BTW: I see Shai H. caught this thought as I was typing, that was damn fast....
Thank you!

What you, Chris P. and others have pointed out, and what I have tried to point out I feel is very important. Mindset/disposition =/= tactics or goals. The former will have to be conditioned through training, resulting in mental clarity such that one will be able to draw on her trained drills, combinations and techniques for use in combat. The latter, however, will change depending on circumstances.

What Drop Bear has pointed out, that one will inevitably affect the other, is also true. While one's state of mind will determine her focus and fighting edge and spirit, this state of mind will only be achieved if one has sufficient training in the martial art's tactics and is prudent enough to discern between them in accordance with a situation as it arises. Like two legs that are absolutely essential for walking. One needs the other for support.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you!

What you, Chris P. and others have pointed out, and what I have tried to point out I feel is very important. Mindset/disposition =/= tactics or goals. The former will have to be conditioned through training, resulting in mental clarity such that one will be able to draw on her trained drills, combinations and techniques for use in combat. The latter, however, will change depending on circumstances...

...Like two legs that are absolutely essential for walking. One needs the other for support.
|
I train traditional style karate, so that is why I refer to karate, as my frame of reference. And because the karate style is so popular.
|
The concept you set forth is vastly overlooked among so many participating in martial arts, particularly MMA, IMO. I believe the failing of so many karateka, whether it be in karate competitions, or in MMA (or self defense), is founded in your reasoning. What I refer to as Mental Discipline, you more accurately explain as "mental clarity" combined with "tactical skill & expertise."
|
To put this into the perspective of actual application, I like to say that the physically superior fighter (the athlete) /can not prevail/ over the mentally-adept fighter who is physically well conditioned (karate).

Latest Discussions