Starting Martial Arts After 50

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Kirk, in cycling, the spandex is mostly about function. Ride in the heat in denim and your crotch will feel like a swamp inside of a half hour. Cycling shorts are made to fit like a second skin, with a sewn in chamois to move with you, and wick moisture away from the crotch area. Cycling jerseys are cut to fit close to the body so they don't flap in the wind, and to wick sweat away from the body. When I first started to ride, I resisted the spandex, or I covered it up with some loose shorts over the cycling shorts. But the loose shorts tended to get hot or bunch up, so eventually I just tossed them. I found with the shirts that I just need to avoid certain brands that just ran too small, and to size up a bit so I could breath, which is at least as important in cycling as it is in martial arts.

As far as aesthetics go, after you ride for awhile, you adjust what looks good and bad. For sure, if I see an out of shape old guy wearing full Team Sky pro replica kit riding at 10 mph, that seems odd. But if I see an old guy wearing regular kit (no logos, or a local riding club logo, or something similar) kicking butt on the road, that guy has my respect. And when I ride, I just put on my cycling gear and don't sweat it, literally.

Hoping in time, I will similarly adjust to wearing a dobok.

I martial art in spandex. And I look awesome.

Haters gonna hate.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Greetings, martial arts practitioners.

Here is my story.

35 years ago, I walked into Yi's Tang Soo Do in Cherry Hill NJ as a chubby 14 year old. I eventually reached the rank of Cho Dan Bo. I ultimately left because I was headed to college, and I no longer had the time to train, and after college, became involved in other activities. Until recently, I hadn't really given martial arts much thought, but I am seriously thinking about getting back into it, before age and decay make it too late.

I have become bored with my gym routine recently and was thinking about trying martial arts again. I hope to lose some weight and regain some of the flexibility I have lost due to age and gaining weight. While I appreciate the self defense aspect of martial arts, it is less important to me at this stage of life to be able to kick someone's butt (hence I don't want to do MMA), than it is to be physically strong, and mentally sharp. And I hope to find a physical activity to compliment my favorite form of exercise, which is riding my bicycle. Now, I am 52 years old, and probably weigh 80 lbs more than I did back when I studied Tang Soo Do. And I know I lack the flexibility I once had, both due to age, and weight gain.

As for general health, I go for regular checkups and while I have some minor injuries, like a bad rotator cuff, I don't have any injuries that would preclude me from trying martial arts again. I have some aerobic fitness because I do ride my bicycle regularly from the Spring through the Fall at least 3 days a week for an hour or more. And it has helped with aerobic fitness and mental well being as there is nothing so nice as a 2 or 3 hour bike ride on a warm summer day. But after 5 plus years of regular bike riding, my physique is mostly the same. (strong legs, flabby upper body) And while it is great for developing endurance, I know I have lost a lot of quickness, flexibility, and strength. I am also interested in the mental benefits of martial arts. I know remaining active has mental benefits, but I am thinking something like martial arts will work my brain in ways it hasn't been worked in some time.

I did a little research and it looks like there are limited opportunities to practice Tang Soo Do where I live, so I will likely be switching to Tae Kwon Do.

Has anybody else returned to martial arts after a 30 plus year hiatus? Anybody switch from one style to another? Any issues that have come up (other than perhaps instructors who are half your age)?

Thanks much for your time.

yes i started again after near 30 year at age 56, i found fitness a lit easier to come by than flexability, 3 years on and any kick above the waist is still an impossible dream

taistrong

White Belt
Reaction score
It is never too late to try! Best of luck! And make sure you start slow first...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will find a lot of people who get a late start, whether for the first time or after a long time away. As already mentioned, go for it and do what your body will let you do.

Welcome to MT and back to martial arts.

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Update. So I finished up my first week of TKD and the good news is, I feel pretty good. I am starting to remember why I liked it so much during my high school years. And the good news is, I seem to get the same mental boost from TKD as I get from outdoor cycling, which is a good thing as with cycling, I am limited somewhat by wet, or cold,weather. And, cycling is a much longer time committment, to really get the mental boost. As the days get longer, and tonight is when we change the clocks back, I plan to ride my bike to the dojang as a warmup, and home as a cool down.

I learned the first two beginner forms, which are if not identical, pretty close to identical as the white belt forms I remember from Tang Soo Do. Basic kicks are starting to come back to me.

I actually feel pretty good after class. My hips and back are a little sore, but honestly I expected to feel worse than I do for not having done this in so many years.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update. So I finished up my first week of TKD and the good news is, I feel pretty good. I am starting to remember why I liked it so much during my high school years. And the good news is, I seem to get the same mental boost from TKD as I get from outdoor cycling, which is a good thing as with cycling, I am limited somewhat by wet, or cold,weather. And, cycling is a much longer time committment, to really get the mental boost. As the days get longer, and tonight is when we change the clocks back, I plan to ride my bike to the dojang as a warmup, and home as a cool down.

I learned the first two beginner forms, which are if not identical, pretty close to identical as the white belt forms I remember from Tang Soo Do. Basic kicks are starting to come back to me.

I actually feel pretty good after class. My hips and back are a little sore, but honestly I expected to feel worse than I do for not having done this in so many years.

Nice work.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah that's really great to hear mate, there's nothing like that feeling of remembering why you loved something :). And really cool that alot of stuff has come back to you, I swear those drills and techniques just stick don't they...

And the fact that you're only a little sore is a great sign, just pay extra attention to proper warning up and training smart, and you'll be flyyyyyyin.

Happy for ya! :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That is great to hear, I am happy it is working out for you...enjoy the training

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Has anybody else returned to martial arts after a 30 plus year hiatus? Anybody switch from one style to another? Any issues that have come up (other than perhaps instructors who are half your age)?

I am younger than you, but I have some nasty skeletal and genetic issues that make training complicated. I took an 6-year long hiatus from nihon goshin aikido (I was a brown belt at the time - an assistant instructor rank) when I was 34, because that was the year my immune system decided to tank. Came back 2.5 years ago and keeping at it.

I am not training as much as I used to before the hiatus, but making a steady progress. I also found I had to supplement martial arts training with additional fitness classes to address the issues of flexibility, muscle stiffness, joint pain, overall stamina, etc. So, I take some high-impact cardio classes (zumba, step, and POUND) and vinyasa yoga. They work pretty well together, because each one contributes to a different aspect of my martial arts training.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for your age... forget it. You're just too old.
Kidding.
We recently promoted a woman to 1st Dan. She's 73. She used to bring her grandson to class, and when he lost interest (at 3rd geup, if memory serves) she kept coming. She was 65-ish when she took her first class.

Tell her she is a hero! Wow! 73. That is out there! I want to grow up just like her.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah im 50 and i feel right at home in a martial art uniform....i couldnt handle spandex....aint happening. i would be the only guy in the tour de france in jeans.
I love my uniform - it's like pajamas. Oh... wait... it IS kind of pajamas. Samurai pajamas. :)

Seriously, when it comes to training and fitness, I agree with folks favoring function over fashion. Does it stay on? Is it comfortable? Can you move in it? Can other people move you in it?

That said, sometimes it's fun to shock young people. I do it in zumba and in step a lot - when I show up among all the super-skinny girls young enough to be my daughters, with my chubby hobbit self, in a hot pink techno fabric top and a micromini sports bottom. Good times!

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Here is my story.

35 years ago, I walked into Yi's Tang Soo Do in Cherry Hill NJ as a chubby 14 year old. I eventually reached the rank of Cho Dan Bo. I ultimately left because I was headed to college, and I no longer had the time to train, and after college, became involved in other activities. Until recently, I hadn't really given martial arts much thought, but I am seriously thinking about getting back into it, before age and decay make it too late.

I have become bored with my gym routine recently and was thinking about trying martial arts again. I hope to lose some weight and regain some of the flexibility I have lost due to age and gaining weight. While I appreciate the self defense aspect of martial arts, it is less important to me at this stage of life to be able to kick someone's butt (hence I don't want to do MMA), than it is to be physically strong, and mentally sharp. And I hope to find a physical activity to compliment my favorite form of exercise, which is riding my bicycle. Now, I am 52 years old, and probably weigh 80 lbs more than I did back when I studied Tang Soo Do. And I know I lack the flexibility I once had, both due to age, and weight gain.

As for general health, I go for regular checkups and while I have some minor injuries, like a bad rotator cuff, I don't have any injuries that would preclude me from trying martial arts again. I have some aerobic fitness because I do ride my bicycle regularly from the Spring through the Fall at least 3 days a week for an hour or more. And it has helped with aerobic fitness and mental well being as there is nothing so nice as a 2 or 3 hour bike ride on a warm summer day. But after 5 plus years of regular bike riding, my physique is mostly the same. (strong legs, flabby upper body) And while it is great for developing endurance, I know I have lost a lot of quickness, flexibility, and strength. I am also interested in the mental benefits of martial arts. I know remaining active has mental benefits, but I am thinking something like martial arts will work my brain in ways it hasn't been worked in some time.

I did a little research and it looks like there are limited opportunities to practice Tang Soo Do where I live, so I will likely be switching to Tae Kwon Do.

I just come across this thread. I just want to say that nothing is too late unless you chose not to try it. Good luck! Do what you want. Life is too short to have doubts :) Hope I made sense.

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I love my uniform - it's like pajamas. Oh... wait... it IS kind of pajamas. Samurai pajamas. :)

Seriously, when it comes to training and fitness, I agree with folks favoring function over fashion. Does it stay on? Is it comfortable? Can you move in it? Can other people move you in it?

That said, sometimes it's fun to shock young people. I do it in zumba and in step a lot - when I show up among all the super-skinny girls young enough to be my daughters, with my chubby hobbit self, in a hot pink techno fabric top and a micromini sports bottom. Good times!

Maybe I have become spoiled by some of my technical fabric cycling gear, but my Polyesther/Cotton blend Tae Kwon Do uniform doesn't seem to breath all that well. I wear compression underwear and a Craft or Under Armor compression T shirt under my uniform, but I am wondering why nobody has come up with a Karate or Tae Kwon Do uniform with similar properties as the base layers I wear underneath.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I have become spoiled by some of my technical fabric cycling gear, but my Polyesther/Cotton blend Tae Kwon Do uniform doesn't seem to breath all that well. I wear compression underwear and a Craft or Under Armor compression T shirt under my uniform, but I am wondering why nobody has come up with a Karate or Tae Kwon Do uniform with similar properties as the base layers I wear underneath.
@gpseymour , what is my gi made of? It's just coarse cotton, right? Doesn't feel like a polyblend - if it is, the polyester content must be super-low. At this point, I've worn and washed it down to awesome pajama-like softness.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some good, moisture-wicking, breathable techno fabric. I use it for all my high-impact cardio stuff. And I love, love, love it for mud runs - it sheds dirt and dries quickly, so it doesn't get nearly as soggy and weighted-down as other fabrics.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour , what is my gi made of? It's just coarse cotton, right? Doesn't feel like a polyblend - if it is, the polyester content must be super-low. At this point, I've worn and washed it down to awesome pajama-like softness.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some good, moisture-wicking, breathable techno fabric. I use it for all my high-impact cardio stuff. And I love, love, love it for mud runs - it sheds dirt and dries quickly, so it doesn't get nearly as soggy and weighted-down as other fabrics.
I think yours is just cotton. Mine is. An entire field of it, I think.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is durability and cost. A cheap gi made of tech fabric would fall apart. A judo gi made of tech fabric probably would stretch out of proportion. I've seen some BJJ uniforms using non-cotton fabrics, and they probably get a lot of pull and tug, so they must hold up, but they can't be as flexible and light as tech fabric tshirts.

OP
mrt2

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is durability and cost. A cheap gi made of tech fabric would fall apart. A judo gi made of tech fabric probably would stretch out of proportion. I've seen some BJJ uniforms using non-cotton fabrics, and they probably get a lot of pull and tug, so they must hold up, but they can't be as flexible and light as tech fabric tshirts.

I am thinking it must be cost. My old uniform from back in the day was 100% cotton, but the ones my new dojang uses are poly/cotton blend. I get the whole tradition thing, but there must be a way to blend the moisture wicking properties of technical fabric into a garment that looks like a traditional martial arts uniform.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because you have to wear the uniform they give you.

My jujitsu gi is cotton. But the mess around with the weave to make it lighter.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am thinking it must be cost. My old uniform from back in the day was 100% cotton, but the ones my new dojang uses are poly/cotton blend. I get the whole tradition thing, but there must be a way to blend the moisture wicking properties of technical fabric into a garment that looks like a traditional martial arts uniform.
The blended ones you’re imagining are out there. And they’re a few hundred dollars. And reportedly they’re not very durable, meaning that they’re primarily worn for competition and not day in and day out training.

I think part of the benefit of stuff like my under armour t-shirts is the thinness of the material. I’d imagine if they were heavy enough for a karate gi, they’d be far less effective at wicking than 100% cotton would be.

If you wear a karate-style gi (non-v-neck pullover), look into higher end brands that use the Japanese cotton. Shureido, and Tokaido come to mind immediately. Hirota allegedly uses more or less the same material, but I haven’t seen them to confirm.

I sweat a lot. The only gi that’s comfortable for me is the Shureido K-11, which is their middleweight all cotton gi. It’s very breathable, soft, and comfortable. Yet it’s heavy enough to take some abuse and not get all out of shape. At $185, it ain’t exactly cheap. But wearing cheaper gis in the past has justified than cost of it to me. I still occasionally wear a Ronin heavyweight gi that’s about $75. The only time I’ll wear it is when the two Shureidos I own aren’t clean. And I hate to sound like a primadonna, but I really can’t stand wearing it anymore. Way too hot and uncomfortable.

Latest Discussions