Stamina for Thailand training

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking to go over for three months intensive training next summer. I just wondered what kind of level of fitness i will need so that the training isnt a complete shock to the system. My fitness is fairly good atm, i can do a gym session (45mins CV) and a Thai class (1h 30) the same day without it being a problem. I'm looking at camps and the training sessions are upto two 3hr sessions a day. Obviously in a years time i will be much fitter, but is there any specific goals i should be aiming at so that i am prepared for Thailand? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking to go over for three months intensive training next summer. I just wondered what kind of level of fitness i will need so that the training isnt a complete shock to the system. My fitness is fairly good atm, i can do a gym session (45mins CV) and a Thai class (1h 30) the same day without it being a problem. I'm looking at camps and the training sessions are upto two 3hr sessions a day. Obviously in a years time i will be much fitter, but is there any specific goals i should be aiming at so that i am prepared for Thailand? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Try to do as much pad work as possiable. My trainers , train 10 3mins rounds per day.

Also try to run at least a few miles in the morning. Pad work , pad work , pad work!!! I cannot stress that enough!!!!!!

OP
Rob2109

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Slihn, thanks for the advice, at the one-on-one training we do 6 rounds of pads and bag so i'm not that far off in that respect. I've entered the London Marathon so i'm going to start the running in a month or so. I've been looking at various training camps and I found a handy list here:

http://www.muaythaikaewsamrit.com/index.php?content=Training-Routine

This sounds scary, but it gives me an idea on where to eventually aim for. I think i'd like to compete but i'm undecided yet, still i want to train to that level whether i use it or not.
Thanks again, Rob.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with a Swedish guy that was training here with me. We concluded that no matter how much you prepare yourself, you can't prepare yourself for the intensity of training in Thailand.

You not only have to deal with the hard training, but doing it in 30 + degree heat, spicy food, crazy chicks, being chased by soi dogs, dodging traffic, etc etc..

But I digress. Run as much as you can. If I'm fighting I'll run 12 kms a day, 6/8 if I'm not. Training twice a day does take it out of you, and the training here is a lot harder and a lot more technical then it will be back home. Sparring sessions at my gym are usually very similar to fights in that someone will be trying to knock your head off your shoulders (but not all gyms are like this). I think you'll probably make it through the first week ok, but it's the second week that you'll start to notice all those aches and pains.

And there are things you can't prepare for, like the blisters.

So, in summary, run as much as you can, do as much conditioning as you can to minimize down time, and try and get a lot of sparring in before you come here as well.

Good luck and please keep us updated with your trip.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Slihn, thanks for the advice, at the one-on-one training we do 6 rounds of pads and bag so i'm not that far off in that respect. I've entered the London Marathon so i'm going to start the running in a month or so. I've been looking at various training camps and I found a handy list here:

http://www.muaythaikaewsamrit.com/index.php?content=Training-Routine

This sounds scary, but it gives me an idea on where to eventually aim for. I think i'd like to compete but i'm undecided yet, still i want to train to that level whether i use it or not.
Thanks again, Rob.

Yeah man I have heard that Kaewsamrit is a really good camp to go to. Very hardcore place!! Try to run , pad work , situps and pull ups as much as you can bro.

OP
Rob2109

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We concluded that no matter how much you prepare yourself, you can't prepare yourself for the intensity of training in Thailand.

I like that quote, it sounds about right. At least i have an idea on where to start now and thankfully still have around a year to build up conditioning and fitness levels.

Cheers for the advice guys, i'll link to a training blog if i ever get out there.