Squirrels.. alrighty then

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

I had a pet grey squirrel once that I raised from the day he opened his eyes.

Rocky D. Squirrel was a very affectionate pet: he would play-fight with my hand like cats do. He loved to be petted.

One time my infant daughter ran up to his ferret cage before we could stop her. He just groomed her fingernails gently.

On the other hand, he did NOT like my mother-in-law and gave her a rather nasty bite once.

He loved french fries which, I think, was the death of him. I think he died of a stroke. But he had a very happy four years. From what I've read, their usual lifespan due to predators and what-not is about two years.

I would take him out to the tree in the front yard. He would go up and play for about 30 mins to an hour and then he would come down, run up my arm to my shoulder so I could take him inside.

He was also moody: he could get aggressive. People other than my immediate family freaked him out, for the most part.

When he died in my arms, it was one of the most painful moments in my life. My heart broke and I sobbed like I never have for any other pet, friend or family member.

I don't think I will ever take on the responsibility of caring for another squirrel, but I sure do miss Rocky. :(

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I happen to think squirrels are the cutest little things. I love 'em.

However, a neighbor of mine gave me this "nice" little bit of squirrel information:

"A male squirrel will invade the tree of an enemy squirrel and bite off the testicles of the young in the nest."

Awwww...isn't that cute?

Latest Discussions