• Alistar Simms

• George C. Scott

• Patrick Stewart

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing what versions of that time honored classic is your favorite..

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
George C. Scott is Patton, period. Might as well remake the Grinch with R. Lee Ermey. Merry ----- Christmas, you maggots!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, Alastair Simm will always be the defining Scrooge... but my second choice you don't have in your poll: the Muppet Christmas Carol with Michael Caine. How could you leave it out??? :wah:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I for one love the musical version (1970 Scrooge) with Albert Finney in the title role and Alec (Obi-wan) Guinness as his partner (in life) Jacob Marley. While it's camp as far as the songs go... the story line and the ghosts are portrayed wonderfully by Edith Evans (past) and Kenneth Moore (present).

This is a snippet of a review of the movie... some very salient points made...
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/shortends_post/7831/short-cuts-forgotten-gems-scrooge-1970
At only 34 years of age, Albert Finney is absolutely brilliant in this film, giving perhaps one of his best Method performances. Some could confuse the occasional theatrics and desire to be even more direct with the role as over-the-top histrionics. But remember what was just said before—Finney was only thirty-four at the time he made this movie, and never once do we doubt Scrooge’s position, age, or resentment. Indeed, when we see the older and younger Ebenezer together during a Christmas Past flashback, we are taken aback for a moment by how startling the actor’s transformation is. Hunchbacked, barking his orders in bitter bon mots, and contorting his face in an attempt to hide all the hidden pain he is feeling, Finney is fabulous, the main reason why any fan of A Christmas Carol would want to visit this song-filled retelling. With a remaining cast that is equally adept at playing both the seriousness and the celebration of the story, you will probably not find a better performed version of this tale anywhere.

Another plus for Scrooge is its attention to terror. Other versions of the Dickens tale forget that it is supposed to be a ghost story, a spook show in which ethereal elements conspire to convert a penny-pinching soul. Instead of serving the spiritual aspects to heighten the horror, many of these miscues downplay the phantasms for a more syrupy, saccharine take. Thankfully, Scrooge avoids this silly soft soap to give their take on A Christmas Carol some spectral teeth. As the ghost of Jacob Marley, Alec Guinness is brilliant, bringing a resigned evil to the role of the messenger of the macabre. His Marley even manages to survive a forgettable song to guide the scared but surly grouch through a whirlwind of creepy spooks (the effects are very good for pre-CGI creations). Though the last act journey to Hell seems a tad out of place (obviously used to really get the message across about Scrooge’s afterlife fate), it is this decision to heighten, not hide, the horror that makes Scrooge such a sweet, substantive seasonal treat.

Then there's Scrooged with Bill Murray in the title character (well not actually the "title character since his character was called Frank Cross. But the Ghosts ... who can forget Carol Kane (past) and David Johansen (present) ?? Then the wonderful shotgun wielding "Honey, I'm home!" Eliot Loudermilk supurbly played by (arrraaahhgghh) Bobcat Goldthwait doing a modern day Bob Cratchit.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like George C. Scott in it. He just looks a little mean and bossy.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Exile, Alistair Simm, but then again, he was the first one I remember so he's the standard

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like the one with George C. Scott - although that may be because that's the one I saw first.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, Alastair Simm will always be the defining Scrooge...

That is my favorite one as well..Saw it as a child and NEVER forgot it..

exile said:
but my second choice you don't have in your poll: the Muppet Christmas Carol with Michael Caine. How could you leave it out??? :wah:

Quite simple..I don't consider the Muppetts story a realistic version..I was dealing with LIVE actors..Otherwise I'd have listed Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol...

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have to say i like them all, even the muppets one and scrooged with bill murray (i think) Mrs scrooge too

i like all xmas films..................aslong as they are shown at or just before xmas

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I for one love the musical version (1970 Scrooge) with Albert Finney in the title role and Alec (Obi-wan) Guinness as his partner (in life) Jacob Marley. While it's camp as far as the songs go... the story line and the ghosts are portrayed wonderfully by Edith Evans (past) and Kenneth Moore (present).

Yes I agree also, it was an amusing departure from the norm..Went to the theatre to see it while I was still in Sr High..I LIKED the song "Thank You Very Much"...

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like every version, it just seems to be a great story.

Actually, I suppose I should qualify that by saying that the sitcom "adaptations" which feature their own characters playing versions of the parts are pretty foul.

For some reason, I tend to gravitate toward the George C. Scott version, more for the atmosphere than for Scott's performance. But when channel surfing, I'll stop and watch any "movie" version I encounter.
JMHO

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, we're not forgetting it. Check out post #6 of this thread:

This is a snippet of a review of the movie... some very salient points made...

Then there's Scrooged with Bill Murray in the title character (well not actually the "title character since his character was called Frank Cross. But the Ghosts ... who can forget Carol Kane (past) and David Johansen (present) ?? Then the wonderful shotgun wielding "Honey, I'm home!" Eliot Loudermilk supurbly played by (arrraaahhgghh) Bobcat Goldthwait doing a modern day Bob Cratchit.

Latest Discussions